PDA

View Full Version : Need help with canvassing letter please!

berrybunches
02-20-2008, 01:13 PM
Hello! I am trying to write a letter to my precinct and want to know what everyone thinks. Also I have not mentioned Ron Paul in it yet because I am having a hard time trying to figure out how to introduce him with the feeling he deserves.

Here it is:

Neighbor,

My name is Erin Hughes I live on Southview Dr., I am 23 years old and am deeply concerned about my future. Growing up I was taught the importance of freedom and individual liberties. I am getting scared now because for all of my adult life I have seen our government slowly swallowing us up. Putting group rights above individual rights and building an overseas empire that is bankrupting us while at the same time rewarding illegal aliens that are coming over and robbing the life blood out of our country. I do not see the problems belonging to one political party or another but I was raised conservative republican and no one in the current administration represents me for letting these things happen. When Bush came into office we were told secure borders, no meddling in other nations affairs, low taxes, abolish the department of education, lower spending. In the past 7 years our country has gone from 6 trillion dollars and debt to 9 trillion dollars in debt. Inflation, for the first time in history is higher than Mexico’s rate and illegal Aliens are still coming up in droves that we can not afford to stop because we are to busy securing foreign borders in the name of safety. What is going on here?

Right now we are asked to give up our freedoms and sovereignty for the sake of democracy. If we continue to allow this trend to go on the terrorists have won. This is exactly what we are told they wanted.
"He who gives up freedom for safety deserves neither." - Benjamin Franklin

--------------------------- all so far

Now I want to find a way to introduce Ron Paul and get some tips on the above bit. Be easy on me! :D
Thanks

acptulsa
02-20-2008, 01:24 PM
Could use Reagan. "Reagan said, 'Government is the problem, not the solution.' Reagan also said, 'We need to keep Ron Paul fighting for America.' I believe this is more true than ever. Ronald Reagan never campaigned for John McCain, by the way. Not too hard to see why..."

ronpaulhawaii
02-20-2008, 01:26 PM
...What is going on here?

Another concern of mine is the media seems to be deciding our candidates for us. Few people are taking the time to research the actual voting records and platforms of the candidates being presented. Perhaps if they had they would have run across the gentleman I am supporting, Congressman Ron Paul M.D.

or sumtin lidat???

sb10
02-20-2008, 01:28 PM
Hi Erin,

I would be gentler with these two phrases:

"rewarding illegal aliens that are coming over and robbing the life blood out of our country"

"illegal Aliens are still coming up in droves"

They sound very - how should I say - collectivist? I live in So Cal and understand your frustration, but I try to remind myself that that when people do something illegal, they may be driven in part by desperation. I try to focus on judging each person as an individual, as Ron Paul says.

"we are to busy securing foreign borders in the name of safety"

You mean,

We are so busy printing too much money and borrowing too much to finance our neoconservative "get them first" interventionist policies in foreign countries that we can't be bothered doing anything like securing our own border right here at home.

berrybunches
02-20-2008, 01:33 PM
Another concern of mine is the media seems to be deciding our candidates for us. Few people are taking the time to research the actual voting records and platforms of the candidates being presented. Perhaps if they had they would have run across the gentleman I am supporting, Congressman Ron Paul M.D.

or sumtin lidat???

Exactly what I was going for. I am using that exactly. Thanks so much

And I like the idea of adding Reagan quotes and will definitely use them also.

Anyone else care to indulge me with their brilliance?

berrybunches
02-20-2008, 01:37 PM
Hi Erin,

I would be gentler with these two phrases:

"rewarding illegal aliens that are coming over and robbing the life blood out of our country"

"illegal Aliens are still coming up in droves"

They sound very - how should I say - collectivist? I live in So Cal and understand your frustration, but I try to remind myself that that when people do something illegal, they may be driven in part by desperation. I try to focus on judging each person as an individual, as Ron Paul says.

"we are to busy securing foreign borders in the name of safety"

You mean,

We are so busy printing too much money and borrowing too much to finance our neoconservative "get them first" interventionist policies in foreign countries that we can't be bothered doing anything like securing our own border right here at home.

Okay. I did not mean to sound that way. I do not have a collectivist/racist bone in my body. Its not the Mexicans that frustrate me its the administrations lack of action on the matter, but if I sounded that way to someone who did not know me my neighbors will probably feel the same way. (can't help defending myself lol, I'll cool it down)

I like your last bit about foreign policy and will use it.
There are so many intelligent people here.

acptulsa
02-20-2008, 01:41 PM
I think the best selling points for Paul at this point are that we have less to fear from a brokered convention than from a McCain candidacy, as he won't energize conservatives yet he's not liberal enough to attract liberals--in other words, he's just another Bob Dole.

Paul has also energized young conservatives, and we would be wise to throw them a bone lest they get disillusioned into not supporting the party (works for me probably because I'm not so young myself...).

berrybunches
02-20-2008, 01:52 PM
McCain has to be the most boring uninspiring candidate EVER. Good point. McCain makes me shudder

I am a young conservative (23 as I mentioned in the first sentance) and I will enphsize that more. It was embarringsing to call myself a conservative before I found Ron Paul so hopefully I can bring some back to the party.

Or Like an independent friend of mine said after introducing Ron Paul to me "You catch on really fast"
I said "No, I was raised a libertarian, where most people did not have that liberty."

pinkmandy
02-20-2008, 02:01 PM
In the grassroots campaign section there is a letter writing board. Lots of letters there to get ideas, use, etc. Good luck!!!!

Ronin
02-20-2008, 05:11 PM
That's a pretty intense letter and to be honest a little soap box'ish. Here's all mine says...

Hello Neighbor,

My name is <name here> and I’m a volunteer <precinct here> precinct captain for the Ron Paul Presidential campaign. I’m currently trying to spread Ron Paul’s message to my friends and neighbors in <neighborhood>.

Attached to this letter is a “slim-jim” that is a brief summary of some of Congressman Paul’s stances. This is by no means comprehensive, so I encourage you to check out more at http://www.ronpaul2008.com. There are also tons of great videos on youtube. Personally, I like his strict constitutional views. Especially as they relate to monetary policy as well as civil liberties.

I hope to speak to you the coming weeks. If you have any questions or want to schedule a time for me to come by I can be reached at <email address>. Also, if you are already a Ron Paul supporter I could always use your help!

Thanks,