PDA

View Full Version : Campaign Fatigue

HammerDR
08-14-2007, 05:26 PM
Campaign Fatigue

Many supporters of the good doctor have declared that their interest is starting to wane in regards to their fervent support. None are jumping ship but rather are concerned that they cannot keep up their enthusiasm for the campaign for much longer, let alone the 4-5 months to the first caucus and beyond. Rest assured, fatigue supporters, that you are not alone nor are you wrong in such fatigue.

When many of us first heard of Dr. Paul, we, for our own reasons, were incredibly excited that a man such as him was running for the Oval Office. We stayed up long hours of the night, sacrificing TV, video game or other 'fun' activity time in order to read up on this great man. We joined Meetups and wanted to have 7 meetings a week, lasting 2 hours each. We sent our money to the campaign and donated to grassroots causes such as newspaper ads and signs.

However, we now find that 7 meetings a week is seemingly tenuous to some of us and that its becoming more of a job to get this campaign off the ground and launching into space. We see that t
he campaign is still hardly registering in the national polls despite all of our efforts. The media focuses on McCain, Rudy and Thompson. We hear the rancorous laughter of the neocons that said "You can't do it." and now say, "See! You can't!" All of this coalesces into a declining enthusiasm for many of the grassroots supporters.

At Ronstock, Dr. Paul said something that was very, very important. He said, basically, that while the message of liberty is an entirely serious one, we should be having fun while spreading that message. He was beaming while he said it--Dr. Paul is having fun with the wild campaign ride. We, his supporters, should follow in his stead. We should focus on doing what is fun for us, not what we think we should be doing. In another thread, one supporter frustratingly concludes that we need attack ads. I do not agree. We should, instead, just do the things that we find entertaining. We should hang out on street corners with friends: holding Ron Paul signs, talking to people about our Congressional and Presidential hero and, in general, just having fun. We should organize live music events at local venues that combine the ordinary fun that comes with said live music with our impassioned and inspirational message. We should smile when we talk about Ron Paul. We should enjoy every single second of this campaign.

In short, don't be frustrated. Don't treat this as a job. Do what you think is the most fun--and, surprisingly, you'll find that it's also the most effective way to do it. Fun--like humor--is contagious.

Note: There are other grassroots campaign issues that I'll be writing about. I could use my blog but I want to inspire discussion rather than just having people read :P

robatsu
08-14-2007, 05:33 PM
Good post. This is a marathon, not a sprint. I think maybe there was an expectation of an Iowa miracle, some dampened spirits realizing how daunting the task we are undertaking. The people we are fighting look at the U.S. as a vehicle for controlling the world, so from their perspective, any threat to them is a threat to world domination. They aint going to give up easy, surely not by one Iowa straw poll even if we had won and some people posting to online polls. Like the RP people said, the campaign has just begun.

ghemminger
08-14-2007, 05:35 PM
Great Post!

glts
08-14-2007, 05:40 PM
I read the following letter from Ron Paul today. It brought tears to my eyes. If a great American Patriot like Ron Paul says he will never give up I think the rest of us that are a little younger can do the same.

August 13, 2007

"Phew, what a week -- what a great week in Iowa. But first the important news: my wife Carol had a heart-pacemaker implanted on Sunday, and she is doing much better. She had a scare -- me too! -- and we are both so grateful for all your good wishes and prayers. They worked. And now she is safely back in Texas.

As I campaigned from morning to night in the August heat the last week, sometimes I'd get tired. And then I'd think of all the supporters, working in Iowa and so many other states, who never stop no matter how tired they are. Could I ever do less? Never. And I never will.

What could be more important than this movement of ours -- for freedom, peace, and prosperity? We hold the future of our country, of our children and grandchildren, in our hands. We can never stop, never flag. And we never will.

One old friend compared this campaign to the tortoise, and our opponents to the hare, in the old Aesop’s fable. The hare was fast and flashy, but because of over-confidence and carelessness, he lost the race. The tortoise kept going, step by steady step, taking nothing for granted, never giving in, never giving up, and winning the race.

In Iowa, we took some good steps forward in our race. Considering the converts we made, the organization we brought forth, and the amount of money we spent as compared to the others, we are on the right trajectory.

And now, after I make sure Carol is well taken care of, I am off to New Hampshire, and campaigning in Texas for our straw poll on September 1 (http://www.texasgop.org/site/PageServer?pagename=Straw_Poll_Home).

This our moment. Not only because Americans are sick and tired of foreign wars, of the oppressive income tax, of growing restrictions on our precious liberties -- but because spending, deficits, and Federal Reserve troublemaking have brought on a global financial crisis that endangers all of us. Now, of all times in our modern history, we need the message of sound money and economic freedom taught to all our people. How desperately we need the truth.

This is a dangerous time for all we believe in. Now, above all, we must spread the truths of the Constitution, of the rule of law, of life, of peace, of freedom, of an America that will truly be a city on the hill.

Join me in doing just that, with your most generous donation (https://www.ronpaul2008.com/donate/). We have a country to win".

Sincerely,

Ron

Dustancostine
08-14-2007, 05:43 PM
After Ames, I'm physically tired, but pumped up.

--Dustan

njjack
08-14-2007, 09:57 PM
I just got back from a meetup where we posted signs and held up banners, and we did it with smiles on our faces.

Are you nuts?!?!

This is fun. We're going to have a problem keeping this up for 4-5 months? Not for political junkies, this is better than the super bowl, world series, olympics, ufc matches, new years, christmas day, birthdays and national holidays combined into one! Wish it would last longer than a few months and with any luck it will :D

paulitics
08-14-2007, 10:57 PM
I am just getting started, because we beat expecations at Ames. And these telephone polls are innacurate. I know I keep saying it, because I believe we will defeat ourselves by believing the polls and the pundits as evidenced by the recent negativity.

The polls are wrong. Anyone with a fundamental grasp of statistics know they are wrong. We are pulling from independents, disenfranchised republicans and democrats...all of the other candidates are pulling from republicans still drinking the kool aid Our demographic is much more likely to use their computer and cell phone, while the latter a TV and telephone. The majority of the latter have voted in republican primaries, the majority of us have not.

Our fundraising totals, and performance in Iowa reflect a solid candidate on the uprise but that nevertheless has daunting challenges ahead. However, it is not impossible.

Matt Collins
08-14-2007, 11:17 PM
I'm just hoping to meet a hot female RP supporter :D

Slugg
08-14-2007, 11:20 PM
I'm just hoping to meet a hot female RP supporter :D

They're out there! :cool:

DjLoTi
08-14-2007, 11:23 PM
^^^ lol

I've been a bit fatigued. My radio station has been the longest and most intensive work I've done on anything, ever. Not to mention it's cost me money and lots of stress. We've just got to keep pushing, keep pushing, keep pushing....

It's really hard for me to manage events around the country, scheduled shows on the radio stream, press credentials to multiple events, and how everyone in each of these places is going to do these things. In the span of two weeks. Including me updating the webpage and sending emails daily. And not getting paid. And having a 10 hour job 5 days a week 'on the side'. Who wouldn't get burnt out after doing this for 2 months?

But, we've just got to keep pushing, keep pushing, keep pushing.....

The goal is sweet, like endless and abundant honey. It's worth the sleepless nights to elect this man as president.