PDA

View Full Version : Ron Paul's Ames Speech

TruePatriot44
08-14-2007, 05:21 PM
Was anyone else disappointed with Ron Paul's Ames speech?

He immediately came out attacking abortion which I felt was totally the wrong topic. He should of came out attacking the Iraq war and the neo-con agenda of interventionist foreign policy. The Iraq war is the number one issue of today's politics and the reason republicans lost the last election. He has been the popular anti-war candidate and that did not even resonate in his speech.

He also needs to focus and explain how he is the most fiscal conservative running for office. Facts such as how he has never voted to raise taxes, doesn't participate in the congress pension, and wants to cut spending, not just shift taxes like other candidates.

Also he needs to stop saying he doesn't know how to run various parts of our lives. It makes him sound inept - he need to emphasize GOVERNMENT doesn't know how to run our lives.

Am I the only one alone on this?

Mr. White
08-14-2007, 05:23 PM
He's been doing this for years. He came out on abortion because Iowa is a religiously conservative state and he wanted to start strong with them. His knew his audience.

rich34
08-14-2007, 05:25 PM
Actually for Iowa, I believe it was the right choice. Take a look at who finished in front of him and how. Both Huckabee and Brownback appealed to the social conservatives and look how well they done. Ron is the total package and people need to know this.

Kuldebar
08-14-2007, 05:27 PM
The subject of the speech is being discussed here:

Ron Paul's Speech at Iowa Straw Poll - Official Campaign Video (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=12148)

SwooshOU
08-14-2007, 05:32 PM
Considering most Republicans are pro-war (generally speaking) and neocons are the Republicans in power now (generally speaking), it would have probably been a bad idea to harp on the war and neocons considering the audience would most likely be turned off by it. If anything, Ron's staunch views on the Pro-Life positioned him higher in their eyes because that is a key issue among conservative Republicans.

foofighter20x
08-14-2007, 06:02 PM
Dude, give him a break... His wife was sent to the hospital just hours before. That'd shake even Romney up.

lapi7
08-14-2007, 06:46 PM
The speech was perfect for the political environment he was in.

The majority of these people are evangelical Christians and THE ONLY THING they care about is the abortion issue and a man's personal faith in Christ...PEROID!

I'm sorry to use such a stark comparison but I truly believe that Hitler could be elected in the majority in the Bible belt should he simply stick to the issuses of his own PERSONAL FAITH in Jesus, his church and spoke as a strong anti-abortionist.

Dr. Paul might have even took the straw poll had he clutched a Bible, quoted some verses and waved an American flag with a picture of Jesus on the other side of it.

ape
08-14-2007, 07:06 PM
I thought it was a good speech.