PDA

View Full Version : The Lady at the DMV...

lisajames96
02-20-2008, 09:31 AM
...., she changed my party affiliation on my voter registration without even asking ME! I just got off the phone with NC state board of elections.
At the end of January, I went to DMV to update my new ADDRESS, so I figured, what the hay, let her change it for my voter registration too. It would save me the stamp. Well, this morning I go online to verify it because I hadn't received my new card yet. And there it was plain as day "Party: DEM". I thought I was going to fall out of my chair.

The SBOE told me that I have to wait until I get my new card, turn it over and make changes on the back, then send it back in. I am a precinct leader. Will this change whether I can be precinct vice chair and a delegate? Does anyone know? The SBOE said they would give me a letter if it would help, but somehow I doubt she was sincere. She probably wanted to just get me off the phone:mad:. I am really fighting the urge to go see that lady at DMV(i am overeacting, I know :p ).

Truth Warrior
02-20-2008, 09:41 AM
It seems to me like very understandable and reasonable citizen outrage at the standard bureaucratic arrogance and incompetence.

Hang in there. Give em hell. Good luck!

luke-gr
02-20-2008, 12:31 PM
Sounds like the letter will be the best/only way to prove that there was a mistake and to show that the change was unintentional. I would want the letter to state that you were a Republican until a month ago then it was all of a sudden changed. Now you will have it changed back. The history will support your story (I hope:))

zadrock
02-20-2008, 12:45 PM
Assuming that's your picture... she probably thought: black woman = Republican? No, that can't be right. Surely, she's going to vote for Obama or Hillary. Let me help her.

It's always challenging to break that mind set. I was outside the polls all day in MD for our primary, and I only managed to find ONE other black Republican. I got tired of asking "Are you Republican?" since the response was typically "No... Are you?" like there was something wrong with me.

Good luck with your challenge. Try to avoid mentioning Ron Paul in your battle with the SBOE.

Z

CountryboyRonPaul
02-20-2008, 01:03 PM
I am really fighting the urge to go see that lady at DMV(i am overeacting, I know :p ).

Nah, Your not overreacting, I think we've all had our fair share of trouble with the DMV. But, going to see the lady probably won't get you anywhere. Your probably doing the right thing talking to the SBOE, but anytime you deal with the government you deal with the people that
probably wanted to just get me off the phone. lol.

Try calling a few times, I find after 5 or so calls you can usually find someone willing to help you, just try and stay calm and polite, and explain why your worried that your registration won't be on time.

lisajames96
02-20-2008, 01:12 PM
Assuming that's your picture... she probably thought: black woman = Republican? No, that can't be right. Surely, she's going to vote for Obama or Hillary. Let me help her.

It's always challenging to break that mind set. I was outside the polls all day in MD for our primary, and I only managed to find ONE other black Republican. I got tired of asking "Are you Republican?" since the response was typically "No... Are you?" like there was something wrong with me.

Good luck with your challenge. Try to avoid mentioning Ron Paul in your battle with the SBOE.

Z
I am trying not to think that, but it did enter my mind that she thought she was doing me a favor and correcting it for me because it still is rare to be a southern black republican woman. She was white, and was very nice and friendly:(.

I signed the change slip, but only after I reviewed to make sure my ADDRESS was correct. I never would have thought she would have changed anything else, or I would have checked.
I really want to go and smack her. What she did was illegal and a violation of my constitutional right to vote the way I want to vote.

I will get the letter from SBOE if my local republican party questions it. I do have my previous voter card with me(but with my old address).