PDA

View Full Version : Forming a PAC

cujothekitten
08-14-2007, 04:36 PM
We need to form a PAC to really push some ads. A thread was made at ronpaulforum about this and it's really something we should get started on.
http://www.ronpaulforum.com/showthread.php?t=36996

Anyone want to head this up?

Dustancostine
08-14-2007, 04:38 PM
Doesn't Dean (Xar) already have a PAC? Americans United for Liberty

cujothekitten
08-14-2007, 04:39 PM
Doesn't Dean (Xar) already have a PAC? Americans United for Liberty

I heard he's starting one but it's not up yet. He needs a website and such for it... does anyone want to help him out with this?

LibertyEagle
08-14-2007, 04:39 PM
Yes, Dean already has a PAC. That's what has been used to run the ads thus far.

mdh
08-14-2007, 04:42 PM
I am also in the process of forming one. The focus will mostly be regional here to begin with, but I'm more than willing to work with others in other areas and help them out.

Drop me an email with detailed ideas outlined, if you've got 'em! :)

Lord Xar
08-14-2007, 04:52 PM
Yes, I do.. BUT the more we have the better.. because the burden of responsibility falls solely on the PAC doing the ad. For instance, since I did the ames ads and radio, I have all the receipts and such... but if joe from illionois starts running ads i don't know anything about I can't keep track. Plus, it also gives more power to others. I personally do not want to be the "only" one... also, YOU CAN also put your name on the ad as long as it doesn't exceed "total contributions".. for instance, lets say mary and john (husband and wife) put out a commercial or radio ads and the total is 2K -- well, that is considered 2k towards the campaing, so as long as you haven't donated MORE than cap to ron pauls campaign, you should be good.

just have to mention your name and contact (phone/website) as a disclaimer and say "not edorsed by any candidates or candidates committee" and that is good.

Listen, get your ADS and worry about the PAC later.. you can ALWAYS run the ad and you have 10 days to get that PAC submitted..... so, do NOT LET THE PAC hold you up.

all these questions spell inaction... worry about that later, get your commerical etc.. then worry about the PAC.

skiingff
08-14-2007, 04:52 PM
http://www.fec.gov/ans/answers_pac.shtml

This is what Lord Xar formed.

The issue is we need to start taking action and get ads on the airwaves across the nation ASAP.

A Google search for "Americans United for Liberty" reveals one result:

Newspaper ad - where did it come from? - Ron Paul Forum
It does say "Paid for by Americans United for Liberty." Newspapers are a great way to reach out to those who aren't on the internet. ...
www.ronpaulforum.com/showthread.php?p=43353 - 33k - Cached - Similar pages

In that result, the discussion includes someone asking Xar about the PAC and if he intends to use the PAC for more ads, but no reply. I've also contacted him and have been told something is in the works, but haven't heard anything since. I conducted a follow-up and have yet to recieve a reply. People have been asking about ads, and there is no organization for this issue as of yet.

We can't wait 1 week before the first primary, or the reno debate, or his new hampshire trip and hope that influences everything. It will take some time to get everything to fall into place, so we need a massive effort to start NOW and get this PAC and its website up and running and we NEED to start airing ads ASAP. I don't mean to sound rushed, stubborn, or impatient, however if people keep messing around and not taking action we will end up not having enough time. Events are coming up quickly on us, AND WE NEED TO GET THE MESSAGE OUT so it can start registering with people!!!

skiingff
08-14-2007, 04:56 PM
Yes, I do.. BUT the more we have the better.. because the burden of responsibility falls solely on the PAC doing the ad. For instance, since I did the ames ads and radio, I have all the receipts and such... but if joe from illionois starts running ads i don't know anything about I can't keep track. Plus, it also gives more power to others. I personally do not want to be the "only" one... also, YOU CAN also put your name on the ad as long as it doesn't exceed "total contributions".. for instance, lets say mary and john (husband and wife) put out a commercial or radio ads and the total is 2K -- well, that is considered 2k towards the campaing, so as long as you haven't donated MORE than cap to ron pauls campaign, you should be good.

just have to mention your name and contact (phone/website) as a disclaimer and say "not edorsed by any candidates or candidates committee" and that is good.

Listen, get your ADS and worry about the PAC later.. you can ALWAYS run the ad and you have 10 days to get that PAC submitted..... so, do NOT LET THE PAC hold you up.

all these questions spell inaction... worry about that later, get your commerical etc.. then worry about the PAC.

I think the issue is this is too hard for INDIVIDUALS to coordinate by themselves... we need a central campaign to coordinate local advertising, and have everyone support the campaign with their time, talents, ideas, and money. Together, with many talents, we can do more (JUST LOOK AT YOUR AMES NEWSPAPER AD!!!) then some random individuals trying to come up with all the resources to do it by themselves. Different people have different talents and skills. That's why we need to work together.

MsDoodahs
08-14-2007, 04:57 PM
Should we try to get PACs formed in at least the early states NOW?

And should the PAC be headed/formed by someone in that particular state?

Lord Xar
08-14-2007, 04:59 PM
http://www.fec.gov/ans/answers_pac.shtml

This is what Lord Xar formed.

The issue is we need to start taking action and get ads on the airwaves across the nation ASAP.

A Google search for "Americans United for Liberty" reveals one result:

Newspaper ad - where did it come from? - Ron Paul Forum
It does say "Paid for by Americans United for Liberty." Newspapers are a great way to reach out to those who aren't on the internet. ...
www.ronpaulforum.com/showthread.php?p=43353 - 33k - Cached - Similar pages

In that result, the discussion includes someone asking Xar about the PAC and if he intends to use the PAC for more ads, but no reply. I've also contacted him and have been told something is in the works, but haven't heard anything since. I conducted a follow-up and have yet to recieve a reply. People have been asking about ads, and there is no organization for this issue as of yet.

We can't wait 1 week before the first primary, or the reno debate, or his new hampshire trip and hope that influences everything. It will take some time to get everything to fall into place, so we need a massive effort to start NOW and get this PAC and its website up and running and we NEED to start airing ads ASAP. I don't mean to sound rushed, stubborn, or impatient, however if people keep messing around and not taking action we will end up not having enough time. Events are coming up quickly on us, AND WE NEED TO GET THE MESSAGE OUT so it can start registering with people!!!

I believe I did get back to you?
Getting a website and all of that is small potatoes for me I am a programmer by professional and can do a nice one in about 2 hours. I am not worried about all that just yet. The fact of the issue here is that everyone is using excuses to not act.

what about this, what about that... well, how about people do research. If they searched on this forum, they would have their answers. I have posted about it no less than 3x... yet, I have to keep posting and keep posting. I had to post about 20x that I will be making that ames ad available. I am not kidding.

Listen, when you get your commerical done, or you have the money to move forward for ads... THEN lets worry about PACS. You can ALWAYS submit for a PAC within 10days of spending that first 1K.

I am tired of everyone getting worked up into a bunch when they just have to search a bit and just push forward.. why on earth would you let qusetions on a PAC hold you up from being productive?

I ain't getting on you, but I have my workflow and I if I say "i am on something" I am on it...I don't need to give updates every other day... I am working on a couple different things as of right now....

Now, if someone wants to use my PAC -- great.. this is what they need to do.

Get the ITEM (be it ad or commercial) then figure out how the donations will work and then they MUST have me manage the donations and work three-way with the person and the agency putting out the ad (I don't want to micomanage, ass long as I am CC'ed). The PAC needs to have access to the donations so it can be logged and filed away. They must request donations on behalf of the PAC... just contact me.. I mean, my name and info is all over this forum, but everytme someone has a question its like the info doesn't exist.... its all here...

MsDoodahs
08-14-2007, 04:59 PM
I think the issue is this is too hard for INDIVIDUALS to coordinate by themselves... we need a central campaign to coordinate local advertising, and have everyone support the campaign with their time, talents, ideas, and money. Together, with many talents, we can do more (JUST LOOK AT YOUR AMES NEWSPAPER AD!!!) then some random individuals trying to come up with all the resources to do it by themselves. Different people have different talents and skills. That's why we need to work together.

We don't need no stinkin' central planning.
:)

mdh
08-14-2007, 05:02 PM
The FEC regs are pretty straight forward in my opinion, and the state regs here in WV aren't too bad. The tough part is complying with the IRS regs, those are the real pain in the neck part, in my experience so far. They are what I'm stuck on trying to decipher all of this stuff and get formed up, besides also trying to find someone competent who is willing to serve as treasurer. :(

skiingff
08-14-2007, 05:07 PM
The FEC regs are pretty straight forward in my opinion, and the state regs here in WV aren't too bad. The tough part is complying with the IRS regs, those are the real pain in the neck part, in my experience so far. They are what I'm stuck on trying to decipher all of this stuff and get formed up, besides also trying to find someone competent who is willing to serve as treasurer. :(

Understood. And I understand what Lord Xar is telling me. I agree with both of you and praise you for your hard work. I will start taking action and see what I can do to get something up and running ASAP and work with you two (I'm good at researching, just not a technical guy altho I can throw up a basic website, register a domain name, etc). I feel if someone does all the footwork, people will throw in money to implement (that's the easy part!). Will see what I can do!

Lord Xar
08-14-2007, 05:27 PM
Understood. And I understand what Lord Xar is telling me. I agree with both of you and praise you for your hard work. I will start taking action and see what I can do to get something up and running ASAP and work with you two (I'm good at researching, just not a technical guy altho I can throw up a basic website, register a domain name, etc). I feel if someone does all the footwork, people will throw in money to implement (that's the easy part!). Will see what I can do!

I have a domain already: unitedforliberty.com

I do not have it up and running yet - I can start that tonight and tomorrow....

mdh
08-14-2007, 05:47 PM
I have a domain already: unitedforliberty.com

I do not have it up and running yet - I can start that tonight and tomorrow....

Email or call me if you'd like some help or free infrastructure support, etc.

Man from La Mancha
08-14-2007, 05:47 PM
It would be handy if the ones that have already researched Pacs and everything about them would make a sticky please. Is an individual limited giving so much to one PAC or all PACS combined

skiingff
08-14-2007, 05:53 PM
It would be handy if the ones that have already researched Pacs and everything about them would make a sticky please. Is an individual limited giving so much to one PAC or all PACS combined

$5,000 per PAC.

It doesn't matter what the PAC is or if they support a candidate or not, $5,000 per PAC is the max contribution limit and must be reported either monthly or quarterly by the PAC just as regular campaign contributions are by the campaign.

Read up on PACs here:
http://www.fec.gov/pdf/nongui.pdf

This is 100+ pages of rules and regulations and legalities to follow :cool:

mdh
08-14-2007, 06:52 PM
$5,000 per PAC.

It doesn't matter what the PAC is or if they support a candidate or not, $5,000 per PAC is the max contribution limit and must be reported either monthly or quarterly by the PAC just as regular campaign contributions are by the campaign.

Read up on PACs here:
http://www.fec.gov/pdf/nongui.pdf

This is 100+ pages of rules and regulations and legalities to follow :cool:

Errr, I didn't interpret it that way. From what I understand, there are seperate regs for contributions that will be used to support federal election campaigning, and those which will not. Furthermore, most PACs have 501(c)X counterparts that stay away from candidates and allow people to make tax-deductible contributions which aren't in any way regulated by the FEC to support similar agenda points but without touching any candidacies.

Politaction
08-14-2007, 07:19 PM
I am very interested in talking to anyone who has formed a PAC or is forming a PAC. I am very seriously thinking of starting a PAC for politicians on the national and state level for Free Market minded politicians. I have several questions and would like to learn about forming PACs. I have read several parts of the Non-Connected Committees publication from the FEC. I would be interested in volunteering to help anyone forming a PAC, also.

Email me at politaction at gmail.com

constituent
08-14-2007, 08:37 PM
need any help w/ writing, brainstorming, etc. i'd be glad to help...

treasurer, you should talk to my wife... she wouldn't be willing to work for free though... let me know.