PDA

View Full Version : March at RNC

UnitedWeStand
02-20-2008, 12:25 AM
I've read this idea in several threads now and I think its a good one. Travelling to the RNC will be a big expenditure for all of the delegates. Two big trips might be prohibitive to some.

I think its a good idea because=

1. We have a real, clear reason for being outside the convention.
a) this means less chance of tasering and questionable motives
b) we will be united in hope of whats going to happen inside the convention

2. We will make a big impression on the undecided delegates.
a) they will see we are "normal" and very American and not the fringe lunatics we've been painted to be
b) we will also boost the morale of the Ron Paul delegates who might start to feel bullied without us in their corner.

3. If we are to win through a brokered convention, it will be very nice to have a lot of visible support to publicize so that Ron Paul wont come off as a hijacker=)

4. If many people insist on having a late March, after all the primaries are over with, the only reasonable and safe huge rally we can have imho is one still connected to the campaign in some way.

Now, all that being said, of course Ron Paul will pick the date. But, if you think this is a good idea, please add to it and consider writing the exploratory march committee to voice your thoughts. Thank you=)>

Luft97
02-20-2008, 12:29 AM
I do like the idea of having a grand rally at the RNC. It would show the delegates at the convention that there is alot of support for Ron and I agree if we were to somehow Ninja the nomination we would be there in full force to show public support.

UnitedWeStand
02-20-2008, 12:46 AM
mailto:freedommarch@ronpaul2008.com

Here's the email address to send them your comments.

UnitedWeStand
02-20-2008, 01:48 AM
bump

smileylovesfreedom
02-20-2008, 06:12 AM
The main issue will be competing for space and media attention with the other groups outside. There are already quite a few big anti-war groups or left-wing groups planning major marches. I don't know if all those people are going to be peaceful - some are already hinting at being as disruptive as possible.

I would worry that even if we plan to have a safe rally that we could get in the crosshairs between the riot police and other groups.

UnitedWeStand
02-20-2008, 09:21 AM
I get a much more peaceful feeling about the RNC rally than i do washington dc, even when adding in the "other groups" you speak of.

First, we would be there for a clear reason--we have a candidate inside to support. There would be less reason to taze and fema the nice republican campaign rally than the yelling, angry protesters.

Secondly, those other groups that are motivated enough to travel across country to protest but are somehow still "left-wing" need to know about us, as well.

Most importantly, I am very serious that we need to be there if we have any intention of winning through any variety of brokered convention. Not only will our big presence encourage delegates to vote for Ron Paul, but if we do win this way-- it will seem much more legitimate if there is visible support to cheer about the win. I don't want Ron Paul to be portrayed as an evil genius who figured out the loophole in the system and needs to be disquailified. I want him to be seen as the hero he is, the genius with the real, amazing support from all over the country.

UtahApocalypse
02-20-2008, 12:30 PM
I see this as the best idea. I had thought about it late last year even. Now with all the "March" talk I do believe this is the way to go. Let me point out some pro's:

Firstly I agree with all of the comments in the OP.

Having it at the RNC will guarantee that all the media will be there. Unlike the D.C march which the could easily ignore.

Having diverse groups (Truthers, Global Warming, etc..) is not as big a issue. This is event that will already draw all kinds of groups, protests, and others.

The RNC is way off in Sept. This gives EVERYONE time to plan, finance, and get everything read to make it a huge event. Imagine if the Ron Paul rally is BIGGER then the RNC itself.

cybloo
02-20-2008, 12:48 PM
The only thing that would be unfortunate would be the initial response of the MSM bias. It's been proven time and again that even if there is a whole slew of RP supporters, they are going to only publish the ones that show as little support to RP as possible.

If we are going to make any sizable impression, this and the march to DC are needed. People may not be able to afford both trips on their own and I am a part of this group. But I know that a lot of the meet-up groups are organizing in a way to help everyone save money... especially with the inflation and shit-economy we're having.

If we have a sizable showing at both events, the media can't help but notice, and publish more than they have in the past about Ron Paul. It may not be unbiased, but unfortunately we can't compete against that unless it's libel.

Basically, though, I think we can do both and it's in our best interest to both in furthering our message. The more people we can reach, the better - the ball is rolling already as more and more people join liberty's cause, and as such, we can only grow if we stay motivated and united in our cause for personal freedom and limited government.

:)

belian78
02-20-2008, 12:48 PM
whatever... the man himself wants the march to be on DC. but hey, if your supporting him soooo much you must know better than he right?

FreeTraveler
02-20-2008, 12:50 PM
If you're going to the trouble of going to the convention, and you're not a delegate, GET INSIDE where you can be useful!

The GOP is looking for 8,000 volunteers to help. ;)

With the help of volunteers, the 2008 Republican National Convention will be a truly remarkable event. The convention and the 2008 Minneapolis-Saint Paul Host Committee will recruit more than 8,000 volunteers, who will perform key duties and play crucial roles in the areas of transportation, information services, hospitality, and special events during the week of the convention.

http://www.gopconvention.com/volunteers/default.aspx for more info. :D

WE IZ IN UR CONVENTION!

cybloo
02-20-2008, 12:51 PM
whatever... the man himself wants the march to be on DC. but hey, if your supporting him soooo much you must know better than he right?

Is that attitude necessary? Even though I am all for the DC march, United makes a good point about a having sizable showing at the RNC. I'm sure we were all planning both, the RNC prior to the march.

We can do both, methinks.

belian78
02-20-2008, 01:03 PM
my apologies, but i'm just so damn frustrated. i'm all for the market way of doing things, but for christ's sake take one idea and run with it. we dont do that around here, we get an idea and then create 1000000 threads about all different aspects of it until it's down to zero hour and then make a mad dash out of desperation. i've seen it with moneybombs, the blimb, freeway signs, etc...

this is something that Dr Paul himself brought up. and i know that its not about him, but about the message, but damn shouldnt his opinion hold some weight? we should be focusing on the threads dedicated to transportation and lodging, and not get so sidetracked with who should come-who shouldnt. where it should be, where it shouldnt. what day it should be, what day it shouldnt. what i should wear, what i shouldnt... you get my point.

again, i apologize, but cripes lets have some solidarity here.

UnitedWeStand
02-20-2008, 04:45 PM
If Ron Paul says we rally in DC, I will be there, of course. But he has set up an exploratory committee to pick the date and gather our input. The more intelligent conversations we have about the rally, the more intelligent input we will have.

As long as he welcomes our input, and has not yet put forth a date, I will continue to think and post my newer thoughts about the rally.

I question more the people who shoot down intelligent discourse than the people offering it.

As for having both a march and a big rally at the RNC, I know for sure that we will already have a rally of sorts at the RNC without much preplanning or approval. We will volunteer to work at the convention, be delegates at the convention, maybe even share campgrounds and hotels. But I think it would be nice to have a big party/rally/gathering in the morning before it starts, outside during for those not involved, and in the evening as well.

I can definately see the case for having both, but I want people who havent signed up to be delegates or volunteers ( because they are new to RP or other reasons) to be included and feel welcomed and invited to our "Republican Party"=)>

newyearsrevolution08
02-20-2008, 04:54 PM
Agreed with the above two posts actually even though they were oppposite in their thinking. I do agree with sticking to the plan but also agree that continued brain storming can only be a good thing.

Luft97
02-20-2008, 04:59 PM
I see this as the best idea. I had thought about it late last year even. Now with all the "March" talk I do believe this is the way to go. Let me point out some pro's:

Firstly I agree with all of the comments in the OP.

Having it at the RNC will guarantee that all the media will be there. Unlike the D.C march which the could easily ignore.

Having diverse groups (Truthers, Global Warming, etc..) is not as big a issue. This is event that will already draw all kinds of groups, protests, and others.

The RNC is way off in Sept. This gives EVERYONE time to plan, finance, and get everything read to make it a huge event. Imagine if the Ron Paul rally is BIGGER then the RNC itself.

I agree with what you have to say here, it would be a much more powerful statement and we would be guaranteed that the media would be present. Interesting line of thought.