PDA

View Full Version : Bank at Wal-Mart

nullvalu
02-20-2008, 12:17 AM
Ok, I just have to vent about something I noticed. I was at Wal-Mart today in the checkout line, where I see they have a new bank opening inside the store. It's called "Wood Forest" National Bank. I nearly LOL'd when I read the name.. Wood Forest? A little redundant, isn't it? Hey so, whatever, if you want to bank at the Wal-Mart, that's your prerogative right? Maybe it's just convenient. But anyways, what really disturbed me is that they had a giant cardboard cut-out of a cartoon tree character out front saying something like "Hi, I'm Woody. Open an account with us today!" hahaha I mean.. it's just so stupid. What is this world coming to?? :D Oh god help us!

Next time I'm over there, I'm going to snap a picture.

devil21
02-20-2008, 01:13 AM
Ok, I just have to vent about something I noticed. I was at Wal-Mart today in the checkout line, where I see they have a new bank opening inside the store. It's called "Wood Forest" National Bank. I nearly LOL'd when I read the name.. Wood Forest? A little redundant, isn't it? Hey so, whatever, if you want to bank at the Wal-Mart, that's your prerogative right? Maybe it's just convenient. But anyways, what really disturbed me is that they had a giant cardboard cut-out of a cartoon tree character out front saying something like "Hi, I'm Woody. Open an account with us today!" hahaha I mean.. it's just so stupid. What is this world coming to?? :D Oh god help us!

Ive gotten some money orders for rent at the Wood Forest in my local Walmart. My rent isnt much (well under $1000) but they still wouldnt give me a money order without taking my ID and entering all of my personal info into their database.

ChooseLiberty
02-20-2008, 01:17 AM
Yeah if only they were more like the esteemed Citi or WaMu making lots of money on those mortgage derivatives. :D

Walmart is one of the few places that seem to be ahead of the curve as the economy tanks they are putting in their own banks, health clinics, supermarkets, etc. They just reported a great quarter. Next they will probably be putting in precious metals exchanges.

nullvalu
02-20-2008, 09:19 AM
Yeah if only they were more like the esteemed Citi or WaMu making lots of money on those mortgage derivatives. :D

Walmart is one of the few places that seem to be ahead of the curve as the economy tanks they are putting in their own banks, health clinics, supermarkets, etc. They just reported a great quarter. Next they will probably be putting in precious metals exchanges.

haha.. can't wait. yep i heard they made a $4b profit last quarter.. Though, most of that came from international sales, U.S. sales were sluggish.

Fox McCloud
02-20-2008, 11:37 AM
I don't enjoy purchasing China crap at Wal*Mart, but I have to admire their business style--they're insanely successful.

I'll really be looking forward to their health clinics (anyone see John Stossel's "Sick in America"?)...though I won't ever go there, maybe it'll be the start of competition here in the States.

But yeah, the Woodie character is really creepy...and retarded.

Anyway, I find it far more disturbing that they're called "Wood Forest National Bank" (emphasis added). What is Wal*Mart trying to do, make a play for the Federal Reserve's job? *chuckles*

New York For Paul
02-20-2008, 12:20 PM
They are successful because they get a lot of government subsides that normal businesses don't. Your taxes support Walmart billionaires.

Here is a book. Free Lunch: How the Wealthiest Americans Enrich Themselves at Government Expense (and Stick You with the Bill)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1591841917/ref=wl_it_dp?ie=UTF8&coliid=I3F15T2NSO2SMX&colid=3OLB9RQ61NFOJ

IRO-bot
02-20-2008, 12:34 PM
I don't enjoy purchasing China crap at Wal*Mart, but I have to admire their business style--they're insanely successful.

I'll really be looking forward to their health clinics (anyone see John Stossel's "Sick in America"?)...though I won't ever go there, maybe it'll be the start of competition here in the States.

But yeah, the Woodie character is really creepy...and retarded.

Anyway, I find it far more disturbing that they're called "Wood Forest National Bank" (emphasis added). What is Wal*Mart trying to do, make a play for the Federal Reserve's job? *chuckles*

A. Let's see. This toy costs $10. This same toy made in America costs $15. Which do you buy.

B. The bank isn't owned by Wal-Mart. It is a space leased to the bank. It is it's own company. Wal-Mart got denied their "bank". Which was really just a financial institution to process their credit card transactions. Because they have to pay someone else to do it. Which is like 2-3 cents per transaction.

freelance
02-20-2008, 02:00 PM
A. Let's see. This toy costs $10. This same toy made in America costs $15. Which do you buy.

That would depend on whether you care if your child plays with and potentially ingests lead and other toxins.

IRO-bot
02-20-2008, 02:02 PM
That would depend on whether you care if your child plays with and potentially ingests lead and other toxins.

True. My parents were raised in lead paint cribs and they are still alive today.
But I agree to the risk. Most people can't afford the more expensive toys. But better uhm...inspections should be helpful. Wether it is govt.(not in favor) or private like Good housekeeping type of seals.

IRO-bot
02-20-2008, 02:04 PM
They are successful because they get a lot of government subsides that normal businesses don't. Your taxes support Walmart billionaires.

Here is a book. Free Lunch: How the Wealthiest Americans Enrich Themselves at Government Expense (and Stick You with the Bill)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1591841917/ref=wl_it_dp?ie=UTF8&coliid=I3F15T2NSO2SMX&colid=3OLB9RQ61NFOJ

Can you prove where Wal-Mart gets this money?

I thought it might be because they have a great business model. Sell a ton of goods for small profit. Streamline your costs, and push your manufacters to constantly improve.

nullvalu
02-20-2008, 02:20 PM

Unfortunately this argument is a completely moot point. You can not find a toy made in America anymore. There are no toys made here, 99% of them come from China. I'm not joking. I would gladly pay the extra five bucks if it were possible.

IRO-bot
02-20-2008, 02:23 PM
Unfortunately this argument is a completely moot point. You can not find a toy made in America anymore. There are no toys made here, 99% of them come from China. I'm not joking. I would gladly pay the extra five bucks if it were possible.

Then I would see no reason for you to shop at Wal-Mart.
I don't think the figure is 99%.
Aside from that, not everyone is as fortunate as you.

nullvalu
02-20-2008, 03:02 PM
Then I would see no reason for you to shop at Wal-Mart.
I don't think the figure is 99%.
Aside from that, not everyone is as fortunate as you.

I was buying a few groceries at Wal-Mart, which, at least most food products are still all made in America. :)

What would you say the figure is closer to? I have 3 kids and I can't think of one toy that they own that was made in America.

BreakYourChains
02-20-2008, 03:20 PM
I was buying a few groceries at Wal-Mart, which, at least most food products are still all made in America. :)

What would you say the figure is closer to? I have 3 kids and I can't think of one toy that they own that was made in America.

Start checking on where the food is coming from. We have found it is shipped in from China. We refuse to shop at WalMart period - case closed. We will drive to another city if we have to, or do without.

This issue matters to us, as WalMart is taking jobs away from humans too, giving the jobs to computers and having the humans check themselves out, do the work, and still pay WalMart for cheap products shipped in from China, to do this. Who cares about saving $5? Let's work together and save our jobs and lives!

This is principle here, and until the awake people stand together, none of this will ever stop. We are feeding the evil by paying for their goods and services, while they are destroying us!

IRO-bot
02-20-2008, 05:02 PM
Ok then. Please explain how Wal-Mart became the largest retailer in the United State. If any claim because of govt. subsidies then provide evidence. Otherwise, it is because the free market wants to shop at Wal-Mart.

s35wf
02-20-2008, 05:35 PM
when walmart first started they were simply kmart's competition and at that time most of our stuff was made in america. I'm sure Sam Walton is rolling in his grave. He did try to make things better for americans by providing more jobs, lower prices, benefits, etc... But Walmart did TOO Good. Sam Walton died, the globalists/corporate pigs took over and this is what is left. Of course american manufacturing died in the interim and this is what were left with.

Sad but true imho.
RP 08 or beyond! ;)

New York For Paul
02-20-2008, 05:45 PM
Ok then. Please explain how Wal-Mart became the largest retailer in the United State. If any claim because of govt. subsidies then provide evidence. Otherwise, it is because the free market wants to shop at Wal-Mart.

I will start getting evidence. Most likely they get exemption from local property taxes to move into an area. Sometimes they get to keep the sales tax.

LittleLightShining
02-20-2008, 05:50 PM
There are toys made in America. They're not easy to find. They are expensive.

Here's a novel idea. How about instead of complaining about Wal-Mart ruining America people reduce their dependence on new stuff. Maybe it's just me in my awesome state of Vermont that no one seems interested in-- maybe because taxes are insane, maybe because land is expensive, maybe because the flatlanders have already ruined it-- but I have absolutely no problem finding all sorts of quality stuff here for free or ridiculously cheap at yard sales, etc. What if instead of spending money on unnecessary new Chinese crap people started buying used Chinese crap from each other instead?

New York For Paul
02-20-2008, 11:36 PM

According to the following book, Walmart got earmarks that were very costly.

They get tax breaks for about a third of all their properties, unlike normal businesses.

Walmart lobbies the state to usually build freeway offramps for its headquarters.

Here is the book.

http://www.amazon.com/Free-Lunch-Wealthiest-Themselves-Government/dp/1591841917/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1203572090&sr=8-1

RSLudlum
02-20-2008, 11:41 PM

LOL.."Wood Forest"?? Yeah the banks are gonna need their own forests to print all that paper money. :D

integrity
02-20-2008, 11:59 PM
LOL.."Wood Forest"?? Yeah the banks are gonna need their own forests to print all that paper money. :D

ha ha ha ha!

if "wood forest" is like Patriot Act the are no trees in wood forest.

on another note, I have been seeing these jokers on the street dressed like green statues of liberty waving signs that say "Liberty Tax Service"

What is so liberating about tax?