PDA

View Full Version : Is it even possible to have a brokered convention anymore?

blaumittwoch
02-19-2008, 11:13 PM
I haven't looked into the amount of delegates remaining on our side, but it definitely looks like there's no chance of Ron Paul securing enough delegates without a brokered convention. Huckabee has 240, McCain has has 846, and Paul has... 16. Unless Huckabee can keep the rest of the delegates off of McCain's back, there looks like little chance of a brokered convention. If there even was one, how would the party give Paul any delegates in the first place? It seems ridiculous.

Anyone want to cheer me up?

Dave Wood
02-19-2008, 11:17 PM
no one has the needed delegates to form the FRONTRUNNER yet.

There are also a lot of delegates that the media says have been assigned, who are not bound and many of them are Paulites like you and me......who do you think they will vote for?

Lovecraftian4Paul
02-19-2008, 11:19 PM
With every primary, it doesn't look good. Most of the southern states have voted, so I can't see Huckabee actually winning any more. Huck is also cowardly and could drop out himself at any time, if the GOP twists his arm hard enough.

Meanwhile, we're still hurting from that hideous e-mail the campaign sent out after Super Tuesday. There are so many rank and file people who think he dropped out. I refuse to believe, as others have noted, that the e-mail was written by Dr. Paul himself. What the hell were they thinking? They should've at least known just saying they were scaling back would cause the media to go into full spin mode as RON PAUL HAS DROPPED OUT.

It shouldn't have ever been written or released by whoever ghostwrote it.

nate895
02-19-2008, 11:20 PM
I am 100% sick of these threads by people who don't use the search function. If you searched for brokered convention using the search function, you would have found what you are looking for.

nodope0695
02-19-2008, 11:20 PM
I think as long as Huckster stays in the race, there is a chance...

nate895
02-19-2008, 11:21 PM
With every primary, it doesn't look good. Most of the southern states have voted, so I can't see Huckabee actually winning any more. Huck is also cowardly and could drop out himself at any time, if the GOP twists his arm hard enough.

Meanwhile, we're still hurting from that hideous e-mail the campaign sent out after Super Tuesday. There are so many rank and file people who think he dropped out. I refuse to believe, as others have noted, that the e-mail was written by Dr. Paul himself. What the hell were they thinking? They should've at least known just saying they were scaling back would cause the media to go into full spin mode as RON PAUL HAS DROPPED OUT.

It shouldn't have ever been written or released by whoever ghostwrote it.

The Southern States of Texas, Kentucky, and North Carolina, and I see no reason why Huckabee cannot win in Indiana, Idaho, South Dakota, and Ohio.

Dave Wood
02-19-2008, 11:21 PM
relax nate.......relax not a big deal

blaumittwoch
02-19-2008, 11:25 PM
I am 100% sick of these threads by people who don't use the search function. If you searched for brokered convention using the search function, you would have found what you are looking for.

Good. Get used to it, I'm not going to search something on these boards everytime I want to start a new thread because you're annoyed. I only come on here for about 20 minutes a day.

Does anyone have an actual delegate count that's not from the media?

Dave Wood
02-19-2008, 11:35 PM
Good. Get used to it, I'm not going to search something on these boards everytime I want to start a new thread because you're annoyed. I only come on here for about 20 minutes a day.

Lew Moore stated tonight 150 to 175.

terlinguatx
02-19-2008, 11:35 PM

suzypotaka
02-20-2008, 12:15 AM
I think as long as Huckster stays in the race, there is a chance...
I agree!!! Dang...I was on a call tonite w/someone in FL(it ain't over there folks!) ....do people KNOW just how many states we have left to get REAL delegate counts for!???

Geeze.....do you have ANY idea how many states don't even GO to the state conventions until Spring/early summer??????? True delegate counts won't happen in MANY states for several months!!

Look...this is all new to the majority of us, I'm just saying don't get caught up in what the media is ***feeding you*** This race is FAR from over!!!! Ex: Mitt backing McClueless??? They are NOT BOUND!! His delegates have a voice still! GO git 'em!!!

IF you really wanted to comprehend it all--you would have to read (& comprehend) the GOP rules for every state!!! {atrocious!! we still struggle deciphering what they did in my state VS what the rules state!} Have you any idea how many states have changed their rules *in motion* ...extending delegate signups???????

The fat lady hasn't even started warming up!!!..........

Rusty John
02-20-2008, 12:32 AM
Quite frankly, I am looking forward to John McCain dropping dead from the half-dozen ailments he appears to have- he is like Mr. Burns on the Simpsons- he has so many diseases...but they are all in perfect balance, if you treat one, the rest will kill him.

mczerone
02-20-2008, 01:02 AM

If you are in a hurry, searching would probably be faster than posting a question and expecting people to know, and care enough to tell you.

Starting new threads should require some new insight, thought, news, or announcement, not be your little discussion group while you take your lunch break. Join an existing conversation/thread already taking about delegates and ask you question in there - it will still raise that thread to the top.

I don't agree with the other poster posting just to say he's annoyed with you starting this thread, and I would have just moved on rather than say something negative, but I felt that you are under-thinking the situation, and don't have to react so negatively to someone who ultimately thinks you are being inefficient but had a poor delivery.

As for the possibility of a brokered convention: It's possible, but chances are shrinking. I'd still say that there's a 40% chance McCain won't win on first round balloting, but if he sweeps the rest of the states (the chances of which are rising), he can't lose.

And even if the balloting continues past the first round - we might move from 100 delegates to 300 (50% chance) if we're good at getting 'uncommitted' slots and having Ron Paul supporters as previously bound delegates, but even then, that's not close to the 1191 needed to win the nomination.

Its not over - but now (not previous to seeing WI results) will I accept the adjective "long-shot".