PDA

View Full Version : Writ of Habeas Corpus?

virginiakid
02-19-2008, 10:17 PM
Where can I find information about President Bush suspending the Writ of Habeas Corpus?

According to the Virginia State Constitution in the Bill of Rights (Article I, Section 9, the only time the writ of habeas corpus can ever be suspended is when there is a rebellion or when there is an invasion. Guess what, neither is going on. Therefore, if the Commonwealth had any backbone, they would tell Washington that they are not allowed to arrest anybody in their state without first notifying them, and that no citizen of Virginia will be held against their will without first being told why they are being arrested, what they are being charged with, and the must have a trial by jury. Any violation, Virginia should tell Washington that they are to return their citizen ASAP.

Reclaiming states rights is one way to bring back checks and balances to the federal government. I bet all other state constitutions will say the same thing. But the question is are there any Governors that have the back bond to tell Washington that they are not allowed to touch their citizens?

Richie
02-19-2008, 10:18 PM
I was wondering the same thing. *bump*

Chester Copperpot
02-19-2008, 10:21 PM
Where can I find information about President Bush suspending the Writ of Habeas Corpus?

According to the Virginia State Constitution in the Bill of Rights (Article I, Section 9, the only time the writ of habeas corpus can ever be suspended is when there is a rebellion or when there is an invasion. Guess what, neither is going on. Therefore, if the Commonwealth had any backbone, they would tell Washington that they are not allowed to arrest anybody in their state without first notifying them, and that no citizen of Virginia will be held against their will without first being told why they are being arrested, what they are being charged with, and the must have a trial by jury. Any violation, Virginia should tell Washington that they are to return their citizen ASAP.

Reclaiming states rights is one way to bring back checks and balances to the federal government. I bet all other state constitutions will say the same thing. But the question is are there any Governors that have the back bond to tell Washington that they are not allowed to touch their citizens?

military commissions act

virginiakid
02-20-2008, 12:50 AM
Thanks Mike.

Carole
02-20-2008, 12:54 AM
Just google it...Bush suspends writ of habeas corpus. 82,000 sites. :D

See Military Commissions Act for one.

Habea Corpus goes all the way back to the Magna Carta. Imagine McCain, Warner, and LindseyGraham betraying the Constitution. Article below:

Republicans Give In To Bush, Betray America
http://baltimorechronicle.com/2006/092606HARTMANN.shtml

virginiakid
02-20-2008, 01:11 AM
Good Commentary--Republicans Give In To Bush, Betray America
by THOM HARTMANN
http://baltimorechronicle.com/2006/092606HARTMANN.shtml