PDA

View Full Version : An Idea I've been pondering

BLS
08-14-2007, 03:59 PM
I've been thinking about how to gather some serious funds for the campaign.
donations are good, don't get me wrong, but you're very much limited as to how much you can donate overall, and that's even if you can afford that.

So I had an idea the other night as I was sitting here fixing a friends PC (I do it on the side for extra $$).

I charge $75/hr for PC repair. Which is dirt cheap compared to bringing it to a shop.

So the gears started turning and my idea is this (and it's much broader than just what I can do).

My local meetup hosts a PC repair 'fair'/clinic, whatever. We advertise in a local paper, and have people bring their PC to a site filled with RP supporters.

I have monitors, keyboards, mice, power cords, network connections (for internet, etc) already setup, so when a person shows up, we simply take a name and number, mark the PC accordingly and hook it up. I can walk numerous people through performing repairs and PC maintenance, while doing up to 3 or 4 at a time myself. We ASK for $75/hr (or less....still deliberating), but the kicker is the checks MUST goto Ron Paul Campaign. In a single day, if we could find the work, we could raise probably $4,000 - $5,000 or more. It's not income...it's a donation.

I could do this over and over and over, and it never comes out of my pocket, I simply 'donate' my time and expertise, and RP HQ benefits.

The deal here is, everyone has their own area(s) of expertise.
This same idea could be applied to your own expertise with the assistance of your local meetup, and we could raise a small fortune if every meetup did something similar.

The only downside I see right now is that there would be an upfront cost to run ads to get people to come. But if enough meetup members tell their friends/family, the first run could be basically free.

What is your expertise, and how could you apply this idea?

Also, I am sincerely looking for 'devils advocates'. Tell me where my idea is flawed, if there is one.

Original_Intent
08-14-2007, 04:05 PM
As a way to raise money for your personal donation, it is a fantastic idea.

As a way to get around the "maximum contribution" it would be illegal.

Either you get the money and donate it - which would apply toward your maximum

or

If you get the person who's computer you fix to donate in exchange for the repair, then your labor is an "in kind" donation (I believe) and still needs to be reported.

Any legal eagles out there that can verify or correct me on that?

BLS
08-14-2007, 04:06 PM
As a way to raise money for your personal donation, it is a fantastic idea.

Either you get the money and donate it - which would apply toward your maximum

or

If you get the person who's computer you fix to donate in exchange for the repair, then your labor is an "in kind" donation (I believe) and still needs to be reported.

Any legal eagles out there that can verify or correct me on that?

Hence the reason you ASK them for a donation. Not force.
Legally, they could walk without paying anything. But good question and I'd like to hear someone who knows more about it.

Eli
08-14-2007, 04:08 PM
If you have a computer there on ron pauls donate page and when the computer is done they punch in the $75 from their card thats perfectly legal. makes it a lot easier than dealing with checks or cash.

Original_Intent
08-14-2007, 04:10 PM
Hence the reason you ASK them for a donation. Not force.
Legally, they could walk without paying anything. But good question and I'd like to hear someone who knows more about it.

OK, right I think you might be in the clear if you asked the person to donate "whatever they felt was fair" then it might be OK.

But if you said "I will fix your computer in exchange for a $75 donation to RP for President" then I think you would be in trouble with the FEC.

rich34
08-14-2007, 04:12 PM
How about this. What if we can convince some of the celebrity crowd to donate to Ron Paul because of his anti war stance? Explain to them that with congressman Paul on the ticket they'll be assured (at least in their minds) that the two nominees will be anti war candidates. They have bookoos of money and if we could get Bill Mayer or someone like this to sign on and let him tell all his celeb crowd we could be really cookin then :-)

The only problem with this, I don't know any celebrity's lol. Anyone that is a celeb on the board pass the along :D

BLS
08-14-2007, 08:52 PM
bump

bygone
08-14-2007, 10:35 PM
Coming from your other thread, to look at this idea:

You have a very good idea here... but if you're not careful it could land you in trouble, especially with you advertising and performing a service for a donation to a campaign.

I personally would not do this without legal advice.

Razmear
08-14-2007, 10:42 PM

Well, much like speeding, it's only illegal if you get caught.
If the individual receiving the service made the donation in their name, there is very little chance of that happening.

It would be the same as if you offered a Free Car Wash, and while the folks were getting their cars washed, you gave them some RP lit to read and a donation envelope and sent them on their way.

Also, just because you charge $75 and hour does not mean that it is a $75/hr in kind donation. You could be doing that work at minimum wage which makes it only a $6/hr in kind donation.

eb

Mr. White
08-14-2007, 10:47 PM
This is mildly comparable to a straw man purchase when buying a gun. There are lots of hazy areas, but when it comes down to the BATF checking you out, you dont want to be anywhere NEAR the haze.

I would say you are doing it to promote AWARENESS of Ron PAUL. Provide donation forms and make it ABUNDANTLY clear through a posted sign and verbally, that donations can be made, but are not a requirment for receipt of your service.

That's the only way I would do it if I were you.

BLS
08-14-2007, 10:49 PM
thanks for the info.