PDA

View Full Version : An amazing series of books I *highly* recommend...

Andrew76
02-19-2008, 08:20 PM
No, I'm not the author or publisher, just a fan. The author is Edward Cline, and the series of novels he authored is called, "Sparrowhawk."

I've devoured the first two in the series, as they were wonderful reads. I'm not feeling very eloquent at the moment, so I'll quote a bit from Amazon.com

The link:
http://www.amazon.com/Sparrowhawk-One-Jack-Frake/dp/1931561214/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1203473274&sr=8-3

"Editorial Reviews
From Publishers Weekly
Set in 1740s England, this enthralling first installment in a projected four-book cycle about the American Revolution introduces the main character of the series, young Jack Frake. Clever, observant and fiercely loyal, Jack gets himself noticed by Rector Robert Parmley, who decides to tutor the boy, but Jack's mother has other plans plans that lead to the murder of Parmley and Jack's running away from home. He eventually gets a job in a pub in the seaside town of Gwynnford and, after an impulsive act of bravery, he ends up in the company of the notorious Augustus Skelly and his lieutenant Redmagne leaders of a group of men who believe that the government of England is too intrusive. Cline presents these rogues as believably libertarian ancestors of the Founding Fathers. Through crisp informative dialogue, he lays the groundwork for the coming revolution by showing the mood of individualism and antigovernmentals sentiment in England 30 years before Lexington and Concord. The novel ends with Jack leaving England to serve an eight-year sentence in the colonies. Filled with period detail and characters readers will care about, the novel portrays an England of press gangs, smug nobility, oppressive government and mind-numbing poverty. Also on hand are smugglers clever enough to write utopian satires and honorable enough to live by the ideals on which government is based. Comparing favorably to the swashbuckling action of a Rafael Sabatini novel and the grueling realism of Bernard Cornwell, this is the best kind of historical fiction: a tale that reflects and illuminates its age.
Copyright 2001 Cahners Business Information, Inc.

--This text refers to the Hardcover edition.

Book Description
Bringing a radically new perspective to the events leading up to The American Revolution, Sparrowhawk, a new series of historical novels, establishes that The Revolution occurred in two stages: the war for independence and also a more subtle revolution that happened in men's minds that occurred many years before the Declaration of Independence.
Book 1 in this new series introduces the reader to life in 18th Century England, where, despite being one of the freest countries in the world there were rumblings of discontent amongst the citizens and Jake Frake is no exception to this endemic restlessness.

From an early age he has developed an independent mind and spirit, a trait that is not openly welcomed for someone of his lowly class. Fate and circumstance leads him to join a band of smugglers and he furthers their cause. Jack himself is sentenced to eight years of servitude in the Colonies and he embarks on a sea voyage aboard the Sparrowhawk, destined for Virginia. --This text refers to the Hardcover edition."

When reading these books, I can't help but get a feeling of similarity between what's described in the books, and what's happending today in America. The books are historical fiction, but it's stuffed with gobs of historical fact, and really nails the political sentiments of the time period.

The author, Edward Cline is also involved with the Center for the Advancement of Capitalism, and has written a few articles for AnyRand.Org, among many many other publications - which basically means he is unlikely a hardcore supporter of Ron Paul - an unfortunate attribute of some Ayn Rand acolytes. This is likely due to the fact that Ron Paul describes himself as religious and pro-life (I could be wrong, I do not know for sure).

At any rate, these books seem right up the alley of ALL Ron Paul supporters, and god*mn they are a fantastic read. Edward Cline is a superb writer. You won't be able to put these books down.

kyleAF
02-19-2008, 11:25 PM
The author, Edward Cline is also involved with the Center for the Advancement of Capitalism, and has written a few articles for AnyRand.Org, among many many other publications - which basically means he is unlikely a hardcore supporter of Ron Paul - an unfortunate attribute of some Ayn Rand acolytes. This is likely due to the fact that Ron Paul describes himself as religious and pro-life (I could be wrong, I do not know for sure).

At any rate, these books seem right up the alley of ALL Ron Paul supporters, and god*mn they are a fantastic read. Edward Cline is a superb writer. You won't be able to put these books down.

I'm not some sort of anti-zoinist conspiracy freak, but Ayn Rand was Russian Jewish (Alisa Rosenbaum was her real name), and a lot of the op-eds on aynrand.org are pro-israel and focused on continuing to attack the middle east. Coincidence? I'll let you conspiracy types decide :rolleyes: .

I'm a big fan of her works, fiction and non-fiction. I also see most of the people I know who are "Objectivists" being against Ron Paul. The reasons I'm given are that he promotes a non-interventionist foreign policy on principle. As far as I'm concerned, they've been hijacked to some extent by the neo-cons.

Only, I'm quite sure that they don't realize it... If only they'd once again recognize that "one cannot have one's cake and eat it, too"!

I might have to look into those books. Thanks for the info!

Conza88
02-20-2008, 06:13 AM
Link in my sig.
~ Must Read Books ~

please add it! and I'll put her up :)