PDA

View Full Version : The pros and cons of travel types!

Agent CSL
02-19-2008, 05:03 PM
This is my thoughts on the pros and cons of different types of travel. Feel free to correct me or add what you want. I may post these on a website.

Airplane
Pros
- Fastest form of travel

Cons
- Airport Security
- Weather delays
- Most expensive form of travel, in most cases
- Can't be booked for groups

Train
Pros
- Cheaper than Plane
- Nice way to see the countryside / Scenery
- Can bring your own food/water on board
- Less restrictions for baggage and security (this may change)

Cons
- Slow, taking 3-4 days from west to east coast
- More expensive than a bus
- In some cases, multiple stops along the way

Bus
Pros
- Can be booked for groups
- Cheapest
- Scenery
- Very little restrictions
- Can bring your own food/water
- Can request the bus to stop if you need something important

Cons
- Makes multiple stops
- Bad for people with car sickness
- Chance of breaking down or getting in an accident
- Slowest form of travel
- Cramped seats

Driving Yourself
Pros
- Bring whatever you want, no security restrictions :p
- In charge of your itinerary

Cons
- Slow
- Cost of gas is not cheap
- High chance of breaking down or getting in an accident

The Tao Of Bill
02-19-2008, 05:11 PM
I'll probably fly. Hopefully my meetup will organize a bus.

Agent CSL
02-19-2008, 05:16 PM
I'll probably go on a train if I can afford it, bus otherwise. I need to make sure I stop over in Chicago and pick someone up and the Amtrak train stops there which is perfect for me and my friend. I've also never rode on a train. I'd like to see what it's like.

The Tao Of Bill
02-19-2008, 05:22 PM
I'll probably go on a train if I can afford it, bus otherwise. I need to make sure I stop over in Chicago and pick someone up and the Amtrak train stops there which is perfect for me and my friend. I've also never rode on a train. I'd like to see what it's like.

Word of advice from someone who has road the chicago amtrak. Don't trust the arrival and departure times. They always lie. Show up to the station on time but don't expect it to arrive for half and hour to up to 2 hours late. Same goes for your arrival in DC.

Agent CSL
02-19-2008, 08:02 PM
Word of advice from someone who has road the chicago amtrak. Don't trust the arrival and departure times. They always lie. Show up to the station on time but don't expect it to arrive for half and hour to up to 2 hours late. Same goes for your arrival in DC.

I assumed this, that if the train stops to pick up other passengers then it would be late. :p Thank you for pointing it out.

and @bump

DanFreh
02-19-2008, 08:31 PM
im riding my bike

Mesogen
02-19-2008, 08:49 PM
Since when is taking the train cheaper than flying?

Matt Collins
02-19-2008, 08:57 PM

Bryan
02-19-2008, 10:30 PM
Pros/Cons will depend upon where you're starting from, starting from Washington State will be different than New York. Driving from Washington State sounds really painful (about 2 days), from Ohio, no big deal. For me about 20 hours drive is the max I can deal with, so this could go either way for me. Driving works best if you have good travel partners, else not so good. :)

The Tao Of Bill
02-19-2008, 11:19 PM
CSL - you are hot looking. You can stay at my place ;-)

Don't be fooled! I've had too many chicks online fool me with super close up pictures to their face then I go on a blind date with them and realize they are actually 6'2 and weigh 220 pounds.

Joseph Hart
02-19-2008, 11:30 PM
I might drive myself. Big furry event a couple days after in Philly. :P (dare to ask me what a furry is)

Matt Collins
02-20-2008, 10:12 AM

FreeTraveler
02-20-2008, 10:16 AM
I haven't been on an airplane since 2001. My DW won't even let me go inside an airport, she knows I'd end up tasered or something. :D

If you act like a sheep, the wolves will just get worse. BOYCOTT THE AIRPORTS!

scotto2008
02-20-2008, 11:32 AM
Some more "pro"s for (chartered) buses:

Promotes "team spirit" and collaboration
Encourages fence-sitters to climb aboard
Chance to establish partnerships (if you know what I'm sayin')

A chartered bus is also a moving advertisement for the rally. "Follow this bus for freedom" etc.