PDA

View Full Version : Campaign Gimmicks

CasualApathy
08-14-2007, 02:45 PM
I have often wondered what RP could do to draw more focus at televised debates.
I mean, he is doing very good when he is allowed to speak, but he is still only afforded a fraction of the time that RudyMcRomney get.

RP has previously stated that we should not spread democracy around the world by the use of force, and that we should spread democracy at home, and set a good example instead.

So towards the end of next debate, when he gets a chance to bring this up again, he pulls a stop-watch from his pocket, and raises it up for all to see, and says something like: "If we are to defend democracy around the world, shouldn't we defend it in this hall tonight, and afford equal time to each candidate? Tonight 'Canditate X' has been awarded xx minutes of speaking time while 'Candidate Y' has recieved only xx minutes. Now if you ask me, the hypocracy is mind-boggling." And if 'Candidate Y' is someone else then paul, "I would like to donate the remainder of my time to 'Candidate Y' and ask that in the interest of fairness and democracy, 'Candidate X' does the same".

Ok, that got a little complicated, its just a thought anyway. Do any of you guys have some good ides?

wgadget
08-14-2007, 03:01 PM
You're right....The media seems to be attracted to one-liners. I guess they're perfect for those sound bytes. It seems after every debate, they judge the "winners" by who had the funniest line....Brainless, but true.

I was thinking that Ron Paul's campaign already has the great Ron Paul Revolution logo all sewn up and I think it's great. But I'm wondering if somehow we could also incorporate his Constitution factor into a slogan, commercial, or billboard ad.

You know, something that puts into concise words that the CONSTITUTION is what really matters, something to re-focus the average voter, as opposed to all the silly Democrat/Republican wrangling, which I really believe is all made up anyway. Who doesn't really believe these two parties aren't cut from the same cloth with the same ultimate motives?

I envision the Constitution being like a rainbow that supersedes all this micromanaged campaign nonsense. I'm thinking something like:

The Constitution: A First Tier Issue

Just some random ramblings...

Mr. White
08-14-2007, 03:03 PM
I like both of your ideas.

McDermit
08-14-2007, 03:04 PM
Well, one thing we definitely don't want to ever do is give in to the MSM idea that RP is a second tier candidate. He is first tier and neither he nor his supporters should ever suggest any different.

wgadget
08-14-2007, 03:07 PM
Well, one thing we definitely don't want to ever do is give in to the MSM idea that RP is a second tier candidate. He is first tier and neither he not his supporters should ever suggest any different.

You're right. And it's very possible that any one of the candidates would try to steal Ron Paul's Constitution angle. Hmmmmm......

Need to incorporate the Constitution AND Ron Paul as being first tier somehow...

Hey, ARAVOTH!!!

:)

wgadget
08-14-2007, 03:09 PM
Heh, heh...Replying to myself.

Anyway...How about all the Republican/Democrats ranting and raving about petty little issues....Then the viewer is directed heavenward toward a rainbow that shines hope and light to America via the Constitution....

I think I'm starting to feel the effects of a very long school day.

Bison
08-14-2007, 04:21 PM
What you need to do is associate Ron Paul with something positive. Every time people think of Ron Paul they in turn should think of the positive association. Like Freedom or Pro-life. Masses of people are easier to affect in this way. Madison avenue uses those techniques all the time. Also what another poster said in another thread about appealing to emotional issues is true. While I disagree with his assesment about attack ads.

Thats why candidates are always dragging children into the picture. It makes them seem less selfish and it will appeal to more people who will just sit there and nod their heads and repeat "yes, lets do it for the children." From there on out they belive that said candidate is fighting for their children.

When dealing with people en masse you have to have an emotional hook. You can't try and educate them about the folly of the federal reserve system. Educating is effective when done in a one on one situation, or when an individual is intrigued by your emotional hook enough to research the candidates issues.

Thats why the youtube videos work so well. They incorporate the best sound bytes from a speech which are more often than not emotional in nature. Then throw in some music to the mix and it is that much more effective.

That same recipe needs to be followed in television commercials. That will be the only way you can reach the people who just sit in front of the T.V. to get all their information. Most people trust their T.V. .

Most of us think that if people just knew the facts, that we would convert millions to our side. I wish it was that easy. Its not. The media has trained this nation to respond emotionaly. Its what works. It doesn't fail. Just look around at this consumer economy we are in, they get people to buy tons of stuff they don't need. But time and again madison avenue convinces people they need stuff, and the people buy it. They did it by appealing to emotion and selfishness( for politics it would be "whats in it for me?").

The same can be done when "selling" Ron Paul, except it will be easier, because we are selling the truth.

You can see the very thing I am talking about happening in the reverse every time you read an article about Ron Paul. It usually says he is a "long shot" "a kook" or "Libertarian" or in some way points out that he does not have a chance to win. It keeps being repeated for a reason.

The Paul campaign needs to incorporate mass media advertising, and lots of it, to combat the negative associations and insert the positive. Yes that takes lots of money, which means his supporters will have to give more, but that is what its going to take.

Richandler
08-14-2007, 04:23 PM
Youtube question for the CNN debate. "Anderson Cooper, will you give each of the candidates equal response times."