PDA

View Full Version : So, can we rally/gather in St. Paul for the nomination?

A Ron Paul Rebel
02-19-2008, 08:33 AM
I've seen several references about delegates making
the trip but I haven't seen anything about grassroots
non-delegates making the trip.

Anybody?

Lovecraftian4Paul
02-19-2008, 08:46 AM
There should be a good Ron Paul contingent rallying outside the convention alongside the anti-war people. It would go a long way toward showing there is a reform movement within the GOP, even if they're intent on nominating another berserk neo-con kook inside the convention center.

FreeTraveler
02-19-2008, 09:03 AM
If you're not a delegate, and you can get there for the convention, there's a much bigger role to play than demonstrating.

With the help of volunteers, the 2008 Republican National Convention will be a truly remarkable event. The convention and the 2008 Minneapolis-Saint Paul Host Committee will recruit more than 8,000 volunteers, who will perform key duties and play crucial roles in the areas of transportation, information services, hospitality, and special events during the week of the convention.

More info at http://www.gopconvention.com/volunteers/default.aspx

They only need 8,000 volunteers. Even subtracting delegates, we should be able to fill all those slots with Meetup members.

ronpaulhawaii
02-19-2008, 09:10 AM
I'm going

NightOwl
02-19-2008, 09:29 AM
This is why the rally should be at the convention, not in D.C., where even 200,000 people look like a speck (and where has an annual march of bigger numbers than we can get gotten the pro-life movement?). Huge crowds look like specks in D.C. Whereas modest crowds on the streets of St. Paul will look like the whole world is there. Then Dr. Paul, with his book on the bestseller list, gets up and gives the speech of his life.

Now THAT is political theater, and THAT is what we should strive for.

ronpaulhawaii
02-19-2008, 09:35 AM
This is why the rally should be at the convention, not in D.C., where even 200,000 people look like a speck (and where has an annual march of bigger numbers than we can get gotten the pro-life movement?). Huge crowds look like specks in D.C. Whereas modest crowds on the streets of St. Paul will look like the whole world is there. Then Dr. Paul, with his book on the bestseller list, gets up and gives the speech of his life.

Now THAT is political theater, and THAT is what we should strive for.

I wonder what people don't get about the fact that RP called for this DC-Rally and we are doing it, naysayers or not. The SP-RNC support contingent is a different animal altogether...

ceitniear
02-19-2008, 10:52 AM
I've seen several references about delegates making
the trip but I haven't seen anything about grassroots
non-delegates making the trip.

Anybody?

Its fine as long as you don't mind being stuffed into a "Free Speech Zone" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_speech_zone) and tazed if you try to leave.

abe447
02-19-2008, 10:53 AM
I'm not going because I don't want to be lumped in with all of the 9/11 truthers and other kooks.

NightOwl
02-19-2008, 02:56 PM
I wonder what people don't get about the fact that RP called for this DC-Rally and we are doing it, naysayers or not. The SP-RNC support contingent is a different animal altogether...

I wonder what people don't get about the fact that Ron Paul is a fallible human being. Seriously, people, lighten up.

If the logistics for such an event in D.C. turn out to be difficult, or the payoff not high enough to justify it, Dr. Paul has every right to say that the grand rally should instead be held in St. Paul. Big deal.

Now consider, with an open mind (or explain where I am wrong):

1.) Even 100,000+ in D.C., which is logistically very difficult to pull off, is not impressive in light of other rallies there, and will look like a speck in D.C.

2.) It is extremely expensive for families to get all the way to D.C., and we'd need all Ron Paul supporters there for this to be even a blip on the radar.

3.) It is also expensive for the campaign: the application form is a monster, the permit costs money, the zillion port-a-potties aren't free, etc.

4.) It is impossible to keep various groups that wish us harm (I won't mention any names, but we know who they are) from busing in phony "Nazis for Ron Paul," thereby drawing the media attention there.

5.) Long-term results of any D.C. rally, ever: none.

Advantages to the RNC rally:

1.) Now THIS is some serious political theater, and it WILL be covered. The RNC is going to be a serious, serious bore. This WILL be covered.

2.) Even 20,000 people, which is doable, would look like 100,000 -- exactly the opposite of what happens in D.C. on the Mall.

3.) Ron Paul's message is directed and precise, not just a rally speech in D.C. By showing up at the RNC and bringing tens of thousands with him, he says he and his movement are here to stay.

A rally at the RNC is the way to go. Don't split this into two events. We get one chance. Let's pour all our energies into the greatest political theater this country has seen in generations.

LandonCook
02-19-2008, 02:58 PM
I'm going

Me too... lol, I will be in though... my whole family and all of my meetups will be outside... so count 500 people from arkansas...