PDA

View Full Version : Chris Peden Himself Disputes Good Internal Polling Numbers?

RonPaulFanInGA
02-19-2008, 05:09 AM
http://pajamasmedia.com/pages/2008/02/roger_l_simon_interview_chris.php

February 19, 2008

MR. SIMON: What is the atmosphere in the district now given Paul’s run for the presidency? Pajamas Media has been told that there are internal polls, you know, coming out of the Paul campaign, of all things, showing you in the lead 43 to 32. What is your assessment of the mood at the moment in the 14th?

MR. PEDEN: Well, we’ve been working very hard. We knew that if we came out early and showed a lot of momentum and a lot of money that it was quite possible that Ron Paul would turn his eyes back to the district, and so we ran. Our third quarter report showed very little funding and very little fundraising. And so, you know, we’ve tried to maintain a grassroots effort throughout our campaign because we don’t have the kind of money he does. And so we’re meeting with constituents. We’re knocking on doors. We’re canvassing neighborhoods. We’re calling on the phone. And our sense is that those polling numbers may not be too far off from being accurate according to our internal polling data. But, you know, with — this is politics, so that could be just something that leaked out, that they’re calling an internal poll to try to rally his supporters that it’s desperate.

Lord Xar
02-19-2008, 05:27 AM
how the heck can he be that behind given his history in that district!!!!

I can't believe it. How is that possible. Why isn't Paul knocking on doors and such...arghhhh.

theseus51
02-19-2008, 05:53 AM
The numbers are made up. Normally for authentic, legit, real polls, they release the raw numbers. Basic stuff like when the poll was taken, the wording of the questions, how many people were sampled, and the margin for error. I wouldn't be surprised if his "poll" was something like "would you prefer a Congressman who represents the district and gives money to NASA and supports the war on terror, or would you support a Congressman who ignores the district to run for another office, votes against items in his district, and wants to ignore the threat of Al Qaeda"?

From that poll, we found that people in the district support me 43%-32%.

Conza88
02-19-2008, 05:54 AM
He's fucken lieing.
What the fuck do you expect?
IT"S BULLSHIT.

Have you no CLUE?!

RonPaulFanInGA
02-19-2008, 05:56 AM

He's not. Those numbers come from a hate-Paul blog citing a "source" in his campaign. That is where the numbers came from. The same "source" said a week ago that Paul was dropping out of the presidential race to spend his money on his congressional reelection. Has that happened? No.

Peden himself pretty clearly distanced himself from those numbers.

02-19-2008, 05:59 AM

I can't believe it. How is that possible. Why isn't Paul knocking on doors and such...arghhhh.

I don't have too many affiliations in CD14, but from what I understand, the campaign has it under control. Ron Paul is seen as the affable old gentleman who stands up to big government; Republicans in that district, especially in maverick-thinker places like Galveston County (no kidding there!) have become attuned to his message over a process of many years.

If you read articles about how his relationship with the district, you find that although many voters DO understand the vast majority of his positions, including on foreign policy, they are inclined to agree to disagree with him given the amount of time and care he spends in with his constituents. Pre-presidential campaign Ron Paul, in any given week, literally travels hundreds of miles throughout his rather large and rural district in order to meet with, check up on, and speak to groups of his constituents.

That's a way to hold a district, and to stay in office; I think that although Peden is probably making waves in the part of Paul's district that overlaps with the Houston Metro area, there's no doubt in my mind that because Friendswood is seen as an out-of-touch suburban plop on the map in the far north of the district, Peden cannot connect with the rural voters.

In my mind, the rural votes make Ron Paul's win nearly certain. How is an accountant from Friendswood going to appeal to farmers and ranchers?

Jeremy
02-19-2008, 07:26 AM
He has reason to start being scared now that Paul is focusing on the district too. We need more grassroots support down there though!

Sandra
02-19-2008, 07:29 AM
(I'm originally from dist 14. Chris Peden is lieing garbage.

RonPaulFanInGA
02-19-2008, 07:43 AM
He has reason to start being scared now that Paul is focusing on the district too.

Is he? Paul was in Denton, Texas yesterday. He will be in Killeen, TX on February 23 and in Austin the same day.

None of those three cities are in Paul's district.

Jeremy
02-19-2008, 07:45 AM
Is he? Paul was in Denton, Texas yesterday. He will be in Killeen, TX on February 23 and in Austin the same day.

None of those three cities are in Paul's district.

He had a big thing in the district like a week ago or something

But still... this is why I say the district needs better grassroots because Peden can plan every single day if he wants to do something

lastnymleft
02-19-2008, 08:09 AM
MR. PEDEN: Well, we’ve been working very hard. We knew that if we came out early and showed a lot of momentum and a lot of money that it was quite possible that Ron Paul would turn his eyes back to the district, and so we ran.

WOW! Catch that little slip?! THAT was the strategy! That was the trap! And we've fallen into it! Their play was to distract Dr Paul from the main game - the Presidential campaign - by deliberating causing a scare in his district (by going hard, early), so that Dr Paul would turn his eyes back to the district!

This prick, Peden, has his hat in the ring on a WTF-type basis, but he has already won. He is sacrificing himself, to distract Dr Paul from his Washington focus, and it has worked. Such doesn't come cheap. He hasn't done this unilaterally: the GOP are co-conspirators. Watch for Peden to get some cushy GOP position after this. He was probably promised a senate seat, or something like that a bit down the track.

tangent4ronpaul
02-19-2008, 08:16 AM
The primary for his Congressional run is the same primary for his presidential run. Why would he ignore the rest of TX if he was down there already?

-n

Rangeley
02-19-2008, 08:21 AM
WOW! Catch that little slip?! THAT was the strategy! That was the trap! And we've fallen into it! Their play was to distract Dr Paul from the main game - the Presidential campaign - by deliberating causing a scare in his district (by going hard, early), so that Dr Paul would turn his eyes back to the district!

This prick, Peden, has his hat in the ring on a WTF-type basis, but he has already won. He is sacrificing himself, to distract Dr Paul from his Washington focus, and it has worked. Such doesn't come cheap. He hasn't done this unilaterally: the GOP are co-conspirators. Watch for Peden to get some cushy GOP position after this. He was probably promised a senate seat, or something like that a bit down the track.
To some extent that is true - it was however their plan to cause Ron Paul to drop out of the race for President and focus fully on congress. But he didnt drop out, he just moved more of his focus to his district for the time being. And did he really have any choice? Losing the district would be pretty bad, so regardless of the intentions of Peden, he had to do this much. After the congressional race he will be able to focus fully on the Presidency again, and that most certainly was not their plan.

02-19-2008, 08:26 AM

I'm not too big on "establishment conspiracy against Ron Paul" but, goodness....

That is weird.

speciallyblend
02-19-2008, 08:37 AM
there plan will cost them a general election;)
My vote is written in stone for general election / RON PAUL

Lovecraftian4Paul
02-19-2008, 08:42 AM
If Dr. Paul loses, it will be for one reason: the GOP really is just totally infested with warmongering trash. I doubt he will, but I won't write off anything at this point. These primaries have done little but show how war hungry the Republican base and leadership still are.

There's just no other issue Ron Paul could lose to Peden on other than anti-interventionism. No other issue. Sadly, the majority of the party, outside traditional conservatives and Ron Paul Republicans, truly does appear to be hellbent on fighting endless wars against "Islamofascist" bogymen. I just hope a Ron Paul victory in this re-election primary down there will prove that the war hungry scum are just a majority, and not an overwhelming majority.

lastnymleft
02-19-2008, 09:15 AM
I'm not too big on "establishment conspiracy against Ron Paul" but, goodness....

That is weird.

Yeah, notice all the "We"s in his statement, too? By suggesting that they expected and WANTED Dr Paul to turn his eyes back to the district, their plan is laid bare. Which leads me to another, worse thought: If their (GOP/Peden) aim is to distract Dr Paul from the presidential race (and thus getting his message out on the large stage), then perhaps we should be worried about theft of the CD-14 primary? Think about it: If Dr Paul wins, Dems don't run, and Dr Paul is back in the Big Game spouting his mouth off with Truth till Nov 4 (and who knows where, thereafter, with whatever momentum he builds up). But if Dr Paul loses the primary, then he has to run as an Independent, and will have to campaign in his district right up to Nov 4, effectively having to drop further Presidential campaigning, and having much less momentum thereafter. So the neo-cons have a LOT to lose by letting him keep active till Nov 4. They have a lot riding on him losing the March 4 primary.

We've seen how easy it is to steal votes on these machines. If we are worried about it on a federal scale, surely it would be pretty easy to fiddle one district in TX? Particularly on a race where most people wouldn't think the stakes were high enough, but they clearly are.

Rhys
02-19-2008, 09:31 AM
This is an old tactic... play the presidental as an MIA. They did this successfully to Kucinich. If it worked Neocons get rid of RP, Penden gets a seat in congress... don't need a conspirousy for that.

itshappening
02-19-2008, 10:10 AM
RP should have enough $$$ to see him off, it will take a massive effort or change of heart on behalf of his constituents to oust him but you're right lets not get complacent... RP should be able to run a strong local campaign including radio. billboards, newspaper, cable , leafleting, phone banking etc

sgrooms
02-19-2008, 10:31 AM

I can't believe it.

They re-lined his district. Took away a lot of Pro-RP cities, and added some Pro-Bush ones.

klamath
02-19-2008, 10:41 AM
I think a defeat for RP in his own district by Republicans would drive me out of the Republican party.