PDA

View Full Version : [RPF Recommends] A good, trustable credit card?

StateofTrance
02-19-2008, 04:27 AM
Before this thread gets moved, and before y'all jump on me by saying "a good credit card is a no credit card", please give me some space :D and help me out :D

I completed my Bachelor's this past December'07 - I only had ONE credit card during my Bachelor's period.

Now, I'm into my Master's program and I need a new credit card for emergency purpose - since I already got my tuition covered by the university.

I heard Citibank or Chase with first 12 months 0% APR is good for college students.
Some say AmEx Blue is also good - but I think AmEx is not accepted everywhere.

So, guys, what card do you own and like it?

What about community bank / credit union's VISA/Master credit card? But, I already have an account with WellsFargo and don't feel like opening another bank account with the credit union.

Enzo
02-19-2008, 04:53 AM
Before this thread gets moved, and before y'all jump on me by saying "a good credit card is a no credit card", please give me some space :D and help me out :D

I completed my Bachelor's this past December'07 - I only had ONE credit card during my Bachelor's period.

Now, I'm into my Master's program and I need a new credit card for emergency purpose - since I already got my tuition covered by the university.

I heard Citibank or Chase with first 12 months 0% APR is good for college students.

What about community bank / credit union's VISA/Master credit card? But, I already have an account with WellsFargo and don't feel like opening another bank account with the credit union.

It doesn't really matter. You will eventually fall into the credit trap.

Most every card/company has a similar contract that basically states that they can raise rates whenever they like for whatever reason.

AMEX is probably the most annoying, because it is rejected more often. Especially by smaller businesses.

ronpaulblogsdotcom
02-19-2008, 04:59 AM
You probably should start a Credit Union account while you are in school. It will get harder afeter you get out. And they are a non profit bank. Its nice get some of the profits back at the end of the year.

As for the card you might want to just go to your campus and find some ads like in the bookstore. They are coded as a university offer and have easier to get approved terms. Unless you make some money.

Or wait until your CU application is approved and get one there.

yongrel
02-19-2008, 06:04 AM

If you're in Oregon, you might be able to get BECU (Boeing Employees Credit Union). I know they've been expanding eligibility lately, so you might have access. A few years ago, they opened up to all of Washington, and I remember hearing they now allowed the entire Northwest. They've been great for me, and I highly recommend them.

02-19-2008, 06:06 AM
Wells Fargo is a great company, and combined with Visa it is a powerful and streamlined system.

STAY AWAY FROM CHASE!

Nyte
02-19-2008, 08:22 AM
No, Wells Fargo is not a great company. Just like any other bank, they nickle-and-dime you to death with their fees. Get an account with a credit union as fast as you can.

For the card, don't be afraid to get an AMEX and sign up for the airline mileage program. You'll be amazed how fast it adds up. Besides, AMEX requires you to pay off your balance every month, or else you get hit with 21% interest... a nice incentive to keep it paid off.

Whatever you can't pay on your AMEX, pay with your visa debt card from your credit union.

If you can't afford to pay it off in a month then you might need to ask yourself if you really need the purchase you're considering. Now is not the time to be burying yourself in debt.

Trust me on this... I did what you're about to do when I was in college, and it took me over 5 years to un-bury myself from about $12K in credit card debt.

allyinoh
02-19-2008, 08:26 AM
Wells Fargo is a great company, and combined with Visa it is a powerful and streamlined system.

STAY AWAY FROM CHASE!

As a Chase employee I second this.

Please, stay as far, far, FAR away from Chase as possible. I know it's hard when you don't know someone, but trust me you don't want anything of Chase.

02-19-2008, 08:32 AM

Please, stay as far, far, FAR away from Chase as possible. I know it's hard when you don't know someone, but trust me you don't want anything of Chase.

It wasn't until I went to search for a loan to start my business that I heard so many bad things about Chase, but all the various bankers seemed to make it very clear to just not bother.

yongrel
02-19-2008, 08:34 AM
Credit

yongrel
02-19-2008, 08:35 AM
Union

spudea
02-19-2008, 08:43 AM

I would be interested if you could tell me why. I have a Chase Student Mastercard and I also go through chase for my student loans. I tryed to read most of the fine print in the contract, but I didn't see anything glaringly bad about it. Also have my checking account with chase and haven't had any problems so I dunno...

speciallyblend
02-19-2008, 08:45 AM
I have a chase card,it was never raised on me and its zeroed out now ,id say chase is pretty good. i have never heard anything good about amx

im a wells fargo customer ,and if it wasnt for my 2500 card id close my account. stay away from wells fargo.

im not sure why everyone is against chase other then they got screwed,but my chase never raised interest rates and has never charged me fees,yet though im 0 now

Rhys
02-19-2008, 09:22 AM
I love my credit union. Since they don't turn a profit, they're never trying to squeeze you. Sometimes even out of state cheques that take a week at banks, only take 2-3 days to clear at my credit union.

PS- D. Rockafeller was the CEO of Chase for decades, for what it's worth to ya. :)