PDA

View Full Version : NEWS ALERT: Texas straw poll voting restricted!!

mdh
08-14-2007, 01:21 PM
Only people who have in the past served as delegates will be able to vote in the Texas straw poll - this sounds bad for us, guys.

The regulations and info from the Texas GOP: http://www.texasgop.org/site/PageServer?pagename=Straw_Poll_Home

Digg it here: http://digg.com/2008_us_elections/Delegates_to_the_Texas_Straw_Poll

jorger
08-14-2007, 01:29 PM
I hope all the Texas meetup groups have a HUGE demonstration.

I'm going to send them an email...

strawpoll@texasgop.org

Way to keep up with the times Texas GOP...

LibertyEagle
08-14-2007, 01:32 PM
OH PUHLEESSE. Stop acting like we're a big peace demonstration. It totally makes us look like a bunch of kooks and misfits, or some kind of throwback to the 60s, and certainly not a group that will be attractive to mainstream Republicans.

It's how Texas does it. That's it. So, we can bitch and moan about it, or actually face reality and get involved in the Party with whom we hope to get our candidate nominated. How some think we can totally disregard the entire Republican Party and somehow get our candidate nominated as the representative to that Party is beyond belief. Does anyone else feel that way?

UtahApocalypse
08-14-2007, 01:35 PM
OH PUHLEESSE. Stop acting like we're a big peace demonstration. It totally makes us look like a bunch of kooks and misfits, or some kind of throwback to the 60s, and certainly not a group that will be attractive to mainstream Republicans.

It's how Texas does it. That's it. So, we can bitch and moan about it, or actually face reality and get involved in the Party with whom we hope to get our candidate nominated. How some think we can totally disregard the entire Republican Party and somehow get our candidate nominated as the representative to that Party is beyond belief. Does anyone else feel that way?

Amen, some people here are seriously starting to act like "If its not 100% for Ron Paul were going to protest" and that in the end will just turn most people away from the campaign.

Spirit of '76
08-14-2007, 01:35 PM

So the big question is this:

How can we get the names of those who have served as delegates in the past so that we can contact them and politely encourage them to vote for Ron Paul?

Mr. White
08-14-2007, 01:36 PM
I remember seeing somewhere on here how you can get the numbers of the delegates.... ill see if i can find it again...

eydaimon
08-14-2007, 01:37 PM

well, how can they always have done this? you'd figure they get new delegates somehow, because I'm sure the original guys are dead now.

But yes, I agree, we can't completely be out of line. There has to be a certain decorum to approaching these guys.

Mr. White
08-14-2007, 01:40 PM
Here, copied and pasted from the sticky:

Yesterday, 08:16 PM

ScotTX
Member About:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello all,

Well Iowa has come and gone. It is more important than ever that we focus on
good results here in our home state.

The GOP is holding the first ever Texas Straw Poll at the end of August. The
event will happen up in the Dallas/Fort Worth area. See:

http://www.texasgop.org/site/PageSer...traw_Poll_Home

Most of us are not eligible to participate in this event. However, we *can*
contact eligible delegates and ask them to attend - and vote for Dr. Paul!

We have phone numbers for just under 17,000 eligible potential delegates.
Past research by the Republican Liberty Caucus has indicated that as many as
1/3 of these people are Freedom-friendly.

Attendance will likely be *low*. If we can get a few hundred Ron Paul
supporters on the floor of this Straw Poll, we could actually WIN!

*PLEASE* help with this effort. All you need is an internet connection and a
telephone. Contact me here to get on board:

ccy@earthlink.net

Please provide your:

* First and last name
* City
* email address if different from the one you contact me from

We'd like to start calling MONDAY!

Lord Xar
08-14-2007, 01:41 PM
Is there a list out there of these "delegates"? Addresses?

LibertyEagle
08-14-2007, 01:43 PM

How can we get the names of those who have served as delegates in the past so that we can contact them and politely encourage them to vote for Ron Paul?

I need to check on this, but I have seen a post on this board where the Austin Meetup group sent out an email, much like they did in Operation Spooner, for calling these people. I think they started it today. So, my understanding is that they have the list. :)

Beat to the punch, 2 posts up....

Mr. White
08-14-2007, 01:44 PM
I posted onf of those messages, look up

Dustancostine
08-14-2007, 01:45 PM
Yes they have a list and have already started calling people. I am not sure but they may be restricting it to Texans calling Texans as of now, but I may be wrong.

Hamburglar
08-14-2007, 01:48 PM
Delegates could easily work in our favor.

mdh
08-14-2007, 01:48 PM

I've spoken with someone in the Dallas/Fort Worth crew down there, and they are looking at doing just that. I asked him to come here to coordinate with others - especially the well-represented Houston contingent - to contact those folks who are eligible and talk to them about Dr. Paul.

LibertyEagle
08-14-2007, 01:50 PM
Remember, Republicans like respectability. In other words, we don't show up in cutoffs, when they are wearing suits and ties. Like it or not, this is mainstream Republican. They're not bad folks; just more straight-laced.

PLEASE, no 911 ANYTHING! In fact, no conspiracy theories. And no anti-Christian rhetoric.

jblosser
08-14-2007, 01:52 PM
Hey everyone. The restricted voter list is not news to us in DFW, we've known this from the start and have planned accordingly. We take it as an advantage since it means we don't have to call everyone in the state between the Iowa and Texas dates. We have been happy to hold off and help the Iowa work the last month or two, but now it's our turn and we'll be damned if we're going to let the midwest show us up in support. :-D

As already noted, the Operation Spooner infrastructure in Austin is spun up again to handle calling for this, and this time we made sure we won't bump heads with an official national call effort. If you want to get calling, see the previous post in this thread and get your info to Chuck. Anyone can call, he just needs your state in your contact info if you're not from TX.

A direct mailing from national already went out to the delegates, we also have some other pushes, ads, and rallies in the works.

jblosser
08-14-2007, 01:54 PM
Remember, Republicans like respectability. In other words, we don't show up in cutoffs, when they are wearing suits and ties. Like it or not, this is mainstream Republican. They're not bad folks; just more straight-laced.

PLEASE, no 911 ANYTHING! In fact, no conspiracy theories. And no anti-Christian rhetoric.

The only people allowed in the building are delegates and their allowed invitees. We are getting all the invitees in under our banner that we can, and yes they will be in suits and shiny faces and cut hair.

The streets outside will be another matter.

mdh
08-14-2007, 01:54 PM

Please don't start this war in this thread. The real topic is too important.

constituent
08-14-2007, 01:55 PM
by that standard everyone should wear lone star button-ups and cowboy hats... since it was the delegates we all saw at the convention.

Ft. Worth is going to be miserably hot between now and early November... I recommend dressing appropriately. Those chosen few voting will feel that much more respect(ed)able if they are the only ones in their Sunday best.

On only Texans calling Texans... it better be if you want to make any friends.. nothing a Texan hates worse than getting a phone call from some yankee telling him/her about some politician. Sorry to offend the yankees out there, but that's just how it is around here.

Lois
08-14-2007, 01:56 PM
Times like this makes me feel like we're white trash trying to act like regular folk :)

mdh
08-14-2007, 01:57 PM
by that standard everyone should wear lone star button-ups and cowboy hats... since it was the delegates we all saw at the convention.

A cowboy hat is never in poor taste. Very classy indeed, if I do say so myself.

LibertyEagle
08-14-2007, 01:58 PM
On only Texans calling Texans... it better be if you want to make any friends.. nothing a Texan hates worse than getting a phone call from some yankee telling him/her about some politician. Sorry to offend the yankees out there, but that's just how it is around here.

Jason Stoddard is the one running this operation, I think. Perhaps we should ask him what he thinks before telling everyone else their help is not needed.

LibertyEagle
08-14-2007, 02:00 PM

I'm not starting anything. It's a statement of fact. If we want to attract the Texas GOP, we need to stick to Dr. Paul's platform. Period.

pyrazole2
08-14-2007, 02:03 PM
Hey everyone. The restricted voter list is not news to us in DFW, we've known this from the start and have planned accordingly.... .

I love seeing this kind of thing...we're all discussing something we think is fresh off the press, and then about a page and a half down, someone says "we're on top of it". Nice.

Revolution9
08-14-2007, 02:04 PM

I wish he would stop that crap. he is just looking for a brawl. Also he treats folks like little children. Howzabout..don't treat RP supporters like little children who need guidance on manners. I think that is as good a maxim as any. For his info I did not see ONE 911 banner at Iowa..and believe me it wasn;t his constant caterwauling..it was personal adult responsibility that brought that about. Nanny state this nanny state that nanny state the RP revolution..Jeesh.

We know what the schtick is.. be nice when approriate..kick em in the nuts when ya need to.. smack them hared when they deserve it.. Do not alienate those who will help us.. If they don't help us pass them by without looking back.. They are the dinosaurs and their behavior is out of line..not ours.

Best
Randy

constituent
08-14-2007, 02:05 PM
actually liberty... i've worked phones in texas... many years experience as a matter of fact... so yea, i assure you.. it's better that Texans call Texas.

jblosser
08-14-2007, 02:06 PM
Jason Stoddard is the one running this operation, I think. Perhaps we should ask him what he thinks before telling everyone else their help is not needed.

Chuck Young is driving this one directly, actually. And I know he wants everyone who can to call. We don't have time to be picky. If you have the misfortune to not be living in Texas right now, just don't play that up on the call, instead play up that Dr. Paul is a TX congressman.

Revolution9
08-14-2007, 02:13 PM
I'm not starting anything. It's a statement of fact. If we want to attract the Texas GOP, we need to stick to Dr. Paul's platform. Period.

It is a starting of polarisation of RP internal factions by introducing a fiction under guise of a fact and catering to YOUR fears again. When you can show me one of the Iowa videos with a 911 sgn ANYWHERE then you have room to open your piehole again about this.. Other than that your constant Homeland Security styled alerts are just annoyingly cloying. Please stop it.

Yer In Texas.. You apparently have this whole repbublican schtick down pat.. You KNOW exactly what they like, what they want you to wear, what religion you should profess, what not to say, how to chew your cud, which newspaper to read, what words to misrepresent, where to obtains the best sluuntraceable slush funds.OK..so I exaggerate..slightly..:eek: .. You should be able to deliver us 10-20 delegates or more if we are to judge by your ability to lay out ground rules for people to follow and adhere tightly to.:cool:

Best Regards
Randy

constituent
08-14-2007, 02:15 PM
here here! ear ear! hear hear! year year! here ear! ear hear! hear year! year ear! ear year! here hear!

jblosser
08-14-2007, 02:24 PM
If y'all want some other action to take, go get this GOP "consultant" fired for me:

http://www.statesman.com/search/content/news/stories/local/07/27/0727strawpoll.html

GOP consultant Chad Wilbanks warned against activists favoring a lesser-known candidate because actual voters in the March primary will be unlikely to follow their lead, rendering the poll results meaningless.

Participants "are going to have to choose someone who has a realistic chance of winning, even if they're not there," Wilbanks said. "They cannot pick a second-tier candidate. You want to have some sort of credibility."

jblosser
08-14-2007, 02:25 PM
Just heard from Chuck that he has 90 callers so far. Get with him and start calling, please.

We have phone numbers for just under 17,000 eligible potential delegates.
Past research by the Republican Liberty Caucus has indicated that as many as
1/3 of these people are Freedom-friendly.

Attendance will likely be *low*. If we can get a few hundred Ron Paul
supporters on the floor of this Straw Poll, we could actually WIN!

ccy@earthlink.net

Please provide your:

* First and last name
* City (and state, if other than TX)

DeadheadForPaul
08-14-2007, 02:56 PM

Truth.

LibertyEagle
08-14-2007, 03:31 PM
I wish he would stop that crap. he is just looking for a brawl. Also he treats folks like little children. Howzabout..don't treat RP supporters like little children who need guidance on manners. I think that is as good a maxim as any. For his info I did not see ONE 911 banner at Iowa..and believe me it wasn;t his constant caterwauling..it was personal adult responsibility that brought that about. Nanny state this nanny state that nanny state the RP revolution..Jeesh.

If people hadn't been known to do it, I would not have said a thing. You know what I said was true.

If you are not someone who would think of approaching these issues while attempting to attract Texas Republicans to Dr. Paul, well then, the comment was not directed to you.

LibertyEagle
08-14-2007, 03:32 PM
Chuck Young is driving this one directly, actually. And I know he wants everyone who can to call. We don't have time to be picky. If you have the misfortune to not be living in Texas right now, just don't play that up on the call, instead play up that Dr. Paul is a TX congressman.

Ok. thanks.

LibertyEagle
08-14-2007, 03:36 PM
It is a starting of polarisation of RP internal factions by introducing a fiction under guise of a fact and catering to YOUR fears again. When you can show me one of the Iowa videos with a 911 sgn ANYWHERE then you have room to open your piehole again about this.. Other than that your constant Homeland Security styled alerts are just annoyingly cloying. Please stop it.

Yer In Texas.. You apparently have this whole repbublican schtick down pat.. You KNOW exactly what they like, what they want you to wear, what religion you should profess, what not to say, how to chew your cud, which newspaper to read, what words to misrepresent, where to obtains the best sluuntraceable slush funds.OK..so I exaggerate..slightly..:eek: .. You should be able to deliver us 10-20 delegates or more if we are to judge by your ability to lay out ground rules for people to follow and adhere tightly to.:cool:

Best Regards
Randy

No, I certainly do not have everything down, Rev. But, I do know something about what ticks off Republicans. If you want to disregard what I suggested, then by all means, go forth and spew.

Furthermore, I said nothing about what religion to profess. I said not to cut down Christians. Big difference. You more than exaggerated, Rev. You downright, lied.

michaelwise
08-14-2007, 03:39 PM

PLEASE, no 911 ANYTHING! In fact, no conspiracy theories. And no anti-Christian rhetoric. Just show up in your best pair of Dockers and a clean shirt with a polo guy on the left tit. That's all you need.

FreedomLover
08-14-2007, 03:49 PM

Required reading for everyone here.

BrianCrumby
08-15-2007, 08:19 AM
I would be happy to call, I am from Texas. I also have some delegate emails (courtesy of Sandie Crosnoe).

Brian Crumby
281 356 4237
brian@crumby.org

jblosser
08-15-2007, 08:21 AM
I would be happy to call, I am from Texas. I also have some delegate emails (courtesy of Sandie Crosnoe).

Brian Crumby
281 356 4237
brian@crumby.org

Tell Chuck:

ccy@earthlink.net

Please provide your:

* First and last name
* City (and state, if other than TX)

disinter
08-15-2007, 12:39 PM
More info on the DFW straw poll here:

http://www.dallasforronpaul.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=12

MikeStanart
08-15-2007, 05:04 PM
I was an alternate Delegate recently; so I'll be asking off for work for 3 days for this.

angelatc
08-15-2007, 05:45 PM

Boleros are indeed acceptable attire in Texas. Hats are never appropriate indoors.

ccy
08-15-2007, 11:34 PM
Tell Chuck:

Hi Jeremy :) ...

I figure I'd make it "official". Son of Spooner LOL.

We do need National help in this.

It's been posted frequently here but I'll say it again, more succinctly.

I need your

* First and Last Name (aliases ok but expect the names "Liberty" and "Freedom" to go quickly)
* City and State
* Email

Send info to ccy@earthlink.net. Turnaround is approx 24 hours. One could actually utilize the downtime very effectively.... visit here:

http://ronpaulaustin.com/rptxpac/help/index.html

and familiarize yourself with the help docs.

A word on hope: we could win this. The limited delegate thing can swing our way - a lot of them are freedom friendly. Attendance will be low. A few hundred hard core RP supporters working the floor could swing this.

We have happy warm fuzzies with Jean and Mark over at National.

All auguries are good... though the chicken entrails are getting sort of stinky :eek: .

cy

Pizza God
08-25-2007, 06:05 PM
Yes I will be there, I was going to be a part of the "Street Team" but somehow (thanks to Jeremy) I will now be on the inside. I have already been talking to our "delegate coordinator" and will be his right hand man getting what ever he wants done. Friday will be spent putting up signs all over the convention center and making sure our presents is seen.

Saturday will be putting fliers out for all the delegates to read as they watch the speeches and wait to vote.

I am looking forward to this opportunity. To me, this is the best opportunity to shine. What is important about this Straw Poll is that only Republican delegates can vote. This means if we do good, we have a chance.

Recently I organized a sign wave at the Sean Hannity Freedom Concert. Mitt for brains was there. We positioned ourselves at the only entrance to the concert and waved to concert goers for 3 hours in 100+ heat.

We were all impressed at how many gave the thumbs up. It might have been 40-50% were thumbs up over thumbs down. (we got a few that told us we were #1 too:p ) I view this as a good sign.

Also, in talking to some of those that are making phone calls, they are finding that a lot of people are so frustrated at the direction of the GOP, they were/are not going to attend. This works in our favor. I am sure we are going to get a few of these to show up and give a protest vote in favor of Ron Paul.

We are going to have a hard time this coming weekend on the outside of the convention center, HOWEVER we will work through all that and WANT/NEED you to come and show your support. Saturday morning we should be having Ron Paul address everyone (location still to be announced) and it would be great if we had more supporters there than delegates voting on the inside. From what I have heard, there has been 75 media passes giving out as of last week. The press will be there lets have a good showing.

There is also going to be a HUGE peace rally put on by an Austin group. They have 3 blocks reserved for themselves for there protest/rally. We are concerned they may get hostel, but it probably won't happen. When we say huge, they are predicting 5000 people, but then they were predicting 10,000 delegates would show up too.

But because of this, security is going to be tight. Wear your Ron Paul clothing and bring your Ron Paul sign. I would leave the "war" signs home for this event. This way if things get out of hand, you will not be confused with the war protesters.

There is also word that there will be a 9/11 Truth rally somewhere too. (I can not confirm this) We can only hope that they will only promote there own agenda and not confuse Ron Paul as part of there agenda. (this goes for the peace protesters too) Remember, our agenda is to get Ron Paul elected and that is it.

For those coming to promote Ron Paul on the outside, bring your T-shirts and signs. Look for ORANGE t-shirt volunteers, they will tell you where the best places to go are. Check the www.DallasForRonPaul.org forum for the most up to date information. We use that along with phone calls, email lists and meetings to get this event organized.

We are mixed on if we should send people to the protests and hand out material. I guess we will leave that up to those that show up to help. Our number one concern is showing the Republican party Elite that Ron Paul does have support and will do well in a general election.

For those that are coming, Friday night is a Ron Paul Texas Pride Evening (http://ronpaul2008.com/texas) with Jimmy Vaughan (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimmie_Vaughan) as musical guests. (for those that do not know who he is, he was the main guy in The Fabulous Thunderbirds and is brother was Stevie Ray Vaughan (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stevie_Ray_Vaughan)) He is a Great Texas Blues Guitarist.

this event is going to be great, Ron Paul will make an appearance and there will be food and a cash bar. Please RSVP (http://ronpaul2008.com/texas) if you are going to attend.

(BTW, after the primary election, I plan on becoming a Republican Delegate. I also am going to start following the Republican Liberty Caucus and try to make changes from within)

Revolution9
08-25-2007, 06:36 PM

Betcha I look better in a suit than they do:) But to me a suit is not a uniform but a statement..

Ya all got me too excited.,. I was cussing up a storm in front of kids today till I realized my mouth was running away with my schtick..

Best
Randy

libertarian4321
08-26-2007, 03:10 AM
I've said before on this forum- Don't get too wound up about the Texas Straw Poll- if you go in "expecting" to finish first or second or even third, you're going to experience a huge let down.

Ron Paul is strong in Texas, but he's NOT likely to be strong among those who can vote in this straw poll- hard core Republican loyalists- the folks molded by Karl Rove and who have been SUPPORTING GEORGE W. BUSH in recent years.

Bush/Rove Republicans will be the dominant force at this straw poll and they are NOT likely to be excited about Ron Paul (Bush and Rove have been at odds with Dr. Paul since Bush was governor).

If this was open to all voters, Dr. Paul would do great, if open to all Republicans, he'd still do well, but when open to only recent delegates, were not dealing with a crowd likely to be friendly to Ron Paul.

Dr. Paul does NOT have to win every goofy straw poll in order to win the nomination- STOP OBSESSING over every insignificant straw poll, and focus on whats important- getting Dr. Paul's ideas out to the voters and raising money.

Electric Church
08-26-2007, 04:04 AM

you always start crap...all you do is throw bones
:cool:

lynnf
08-26-2007, 04:33 AM
I've said before on this forum- Don't get too wound up about the Texas Straw Poll- if you go in "expecting" to finish first or second or even third, you're going to experience a huge let down.

Ron Paul is strong in Texas, but he's NOT likely to be strong among those who can vote in this straw poll- hard core Republican loyalists- the folks molded by Karl Rove and who have been SUPPORTING GEORGE W. BUSH in recent years.

Bush/Rove Republicans will be the dominant force at this straw poll and they are NOT likely to be excited about Ron Paul (Bush and Rove have been at odds with Dr. Paul since Bush was governor).

If this was open to all voters, Dr. Paul would do great, if open to all Republicans, he'd still do well, but when open to only recent delegates, were not dealing with a crowd likely to be friendly to Ron Paul.

Dr. Paul does NOT have to win every goofy straw poll in order to win the nomination- STOP OBSESSING over every insignificant straw poll, and focus on whats important- getting Dr. Paul's ideas out to the voters and raising money.

The thing is, we don't know exactly what's going to happen. I've heard that many of the rank-and-file that are eligible to go, won't be going due to the disappointment with the party and the current administration and its antics. If most of the ones that do show up are RP supporters, then we win. And the straw poll, even if it may or may not be goofy, is a marvelous opportunity to put RP at the top, and that is important. It also gives us experience in getting ready for the primaries. It may be good advice to not obsess, but remember -- Hope for America!

lynn

jblosser
08-26-2007, 06:02 AM

And you are basing this all on the fact you've been talking to delegates on the phone, via mail, and in person at their clubs? If so, I'd be glad to hear which ones you are talking to, because they are different from the ones we are talking to.

Most republicans ARE NOT GOING to the straw poll because of general apathy, unwilliness to pay, or outright fury at the GOP. Of those that are going, we have very good number commitments for Ron, and a lot on the fence.

When we say we expect him to do well we are not reading knucklebones or expressing warm fuzzies. We are talking about what we are hearing from the people that will be voting. These people are not real neocons for the most part, they are conservatives who were involved in the party in the past but are increasingly dissatisfied by it. Yes, there are actual neocons, but most of those want to vote for Fred and won't have the option. Rudy McRomney isn't even a glimmer to most of these people, they'd rather vote for Duncan Hunter.

Of course he doesn't have to win everything, but a straw poll in his and W's home state that's closed to the public is hardly a "goofy" event. It's certainly possible he won't win but we expect he will and that will continue a trend that's making him increasingly hard for the GOP to ignore. It will certainly do wonders for our conversations in these clubs down here.

As for what's important, keep in mind how the actual GOP nominating structure works. We have to win the delegates eventually, not "just" the people. We either win over the ones that are already established, or we replace them at the primaries and beyond.

LibertyEagle
08-26-2007, 07:21 AM
you always start crap...all you do is throw bones
:cool:

And what do you do, EC, besides threaten to hang other RP supporters up by meathooks, call them names, and spout conspiracy theories? This is Ron Paul News, not Hot Topics; you will get used to it.

I live in Texas and we who do, might just know a couple of more things about Texans than those who live, say in Canada, like yourself. Ya think? ;)

speciallyblend
08-26-2007, 08:52 AM
If the republicans nominate Ron Paul ,they can win,if they choose not tonominate Ron Paul,then the republican party loses.I would not complain at all to anyone ,just remind them(the republicans,if they dont nominate Ron Paul,they will not win. Colorado Registered Republican to vote for Ron Paul,if the repuiblicans do not nominate Ron Paul,then they lose my vote and many more friends,its really in the republicans court,thats the warning i would tell republican voters.If they ignore Ron Paul,then they will lose.