PDA

View Full Version : CASTRO STEPS DOWN ! Feb 19, 2008

PennCustom4RP
02-19-2008, 02:14 AM
I know this isn't RP news, but since this is basically the 'Front page' of the forum, I am posting this here, as this is BIG world news...the Mods can move it later.

At 2:05 CST I was flipping through the channels, and caught FOX news saying that Fidel Castro has stepped down as leader of Cuba after 49 years.
I am sure this will be all over the news later today, no article as yet.

DianaJ
02-19-2008, 02:28 AM
What's changed? NOTHING! Another Jesuit is in control of Cuba ...

Read this for some understanding about the Jesuits -> http://www.pacinst.com/terrorists/preamble.html

Give me liberty
02-19-2008, 03:06 AM
And after he steps his brother will take over.

Funny how fox news only talks about him.

BoBoDuFlachi
02-19-2008, 03:14 AM
http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5hgDKj0AzfQ9SWdrvaiWh-7P7JMdg

yongrel
02-19-2008, 03:22 AM

Read this for some understanding about the Jesuits -> http://www.pacinst.com/terrorists/preamble.html

No, Castro is a reptilian. Get your facts straight.

DianaJ
02-19-2008, 03:37 AM
No, Castro is a reptilian. Get your facts straight.

What is your problem? Are you a Roman Catholic and so offended by comments against it that you throw "reptilian" around to discourage others?

Banana
02-19-2008, 10:11 AM
And Castro shows that he has successfully defied what? seven administrations? Despite the sanctions against Cuba.

I hope asses in DC will get off their high & mighty pounce and lift the silly embargo. They've lost.

New Governor Of Alaska
02-19-2008, 10:24 AM
I hope asses in DC will get off their high & mighty pounce and lift the silly embargo. They've lost.

I think we shouldn't expect a breakthrough in Cuban-U.S. relations. US embargos only creates enemies in Latin America. One day embargo will be imposed on US by other countries.

Economic Embargo Timeline

March 17. President Eisenhower approves a covert action plan against Cuba that includes the use of a "powerful propaganda campaign" designed to overthrow Castro. The plan includes: a) the termination of sugar purchases b) the end of oil deliveries c) continuation of the arms embargo in effect since mid-1958 d) the organization of a paramilitary force of Cuban exiles to invade the island.

October 19. U.S. imposes a partial economic embargo on Cuba that excludes food and medicine.

http://www.historyofcuba.com/images/books/Eisenhower.jpg

http://www.historyofcuba.com/history/funfacts/embargo.htm

hairball
02-19-2008, 10:46 AM

Funny, I always read from his manifestos that he was an ardent Marxist. Being a jesuit had nothing to do with his tyranny of the island for all these years. The only good news will be when Castro ceases stealing oxygen form his betters.

jmdrake
02-19-2008, 11:34 AM
Meet the new boss...same as the old boss.

Tying this into Ron Paul, he's firmly against the embargo against Cuba. That's in keeping with his long position of "Friendship and trade with all...entangling alliances with none." At the Spanish language "univision" debate Ron Paul was booed for saying he would deal with Castro and Chavez but then applauded for saying that America should stop interfering in the internal affairs of Latin American countries. One has to wonder if something got lost in translation for the audience to boo then cheer essentially the same thing. :rolleyes:

http://www.townhall.com/blog/g/991cc1aa-b60f-421b-b3da-51592fe3cec2

Of course the truth is that while most people like the idea of non interference in theory most people (other than Dr. Paul) are unwilling to apply it in principal.

Regards,

John M. Drake

sophocles07
02-19-2008, 11:42 AM
From MSN article:

The United States said it was unlikely to lift its trade embargo. “I can't imagine that happening any time soon,” U.S. Deputy Secretary of State John Negroponte told reporters in response to a question on whether the restrictions could be lifted.

That's because you're completely retarded, John Negroponte.

jmdrake
02-19-2008, 11:45 AM
From MSN article:

That's because you're completely retarded, John Negroponte.

He's retarded, but unfortunately he's probably right. John McCain will definitely keep the embargo on. I'm pretty sure Hillary Clinton would also. Not sure about Obama. Whether it makes sense or not (it doesn't) it's politically important to win South Florida votes.

Regards,

John M. Drake

angelatc
02-19-2008, 11:51 AM
Sheesh. So it's ok to trade with, and be a debtor to, Communist China, but damn those Cubans and their cigars!

christagious
02-19-2008, 12:01 PM
Sheesh. So it's ok to trade with, and be a debtor to, Communist China, but damn those Cubans and their cigars!

you forgot rum too.

Anyways, I'm personally glad that Castro's brother will be taking over for Fidel. I'm sure I'll be labled a "communist" for this but Castro and Guevara are the best things to ever happen to Cuba. What nobody realized is that Cuba does hold elections, as well as Venezuela. I have utmost respect for Chavez, although I feel Castro has sold out the Revolution. But the Cuban people are still better off now than they were under the Batista regime.

And I highly advise that nobody attack me for my opinion because i'm more than willing to have an intelligent debate with anybody over this subject.

hairball
02-19-2008, 12:37 PM
you forgot rum too.

Anyways, I'm personally glad that Castro's brother will be taking over for Fidel. I'm sure I'll be labled a "communist" for this but Castro and Guevara are the best things to ever happen to Cuba. What nobody realized is that Cuba does hold elections, as well as Venezuela. I have utmost respect for Chavez, although I feel Castro has sold out the Revolution. But the Cuban people are still better off now than they were under the Batista regime.

And I highly advise that nobody attack me for my opinion because i'm more than willing to have an intelligent debate with anybody over this subject.

What even fewer people will acknowledge is that the elections are seriously rigged so that there is always and will always be one winner. The man with the guns will always win. That is what Batista gets for not executing Castro when he had the legal justification to do so.

For just a bit of coloring, Watch the 'Buena Vista Social Club". It is a movie about the decidedly Cuban character of the local music. There is a subtle but honest undercurrent of the wholesale tyranny in Cuba since the deposition of Batista. The lot of the Cubans took a decided nose dive after Castro took power. My mother's sisters all got involved with Cubans, which gave me an insight to why the fuss. My mom was the only girl to marry a Mexican-American. These Cuban uncles of mine were an exciteable lot, but they did lose a lot by the Castro take-over. Businessess, trades abolsihed and everything for the state. How anyone that is on the Paul boards and can support a petty tyrant like Castro is unfathomable.

Guevarra? That is another matter. He died abandoned by Castro and the Russians because he was a liability. He incurred their wrath by being a bloody and nasty butcher in many regions of South America. During the 80s I took a contract to help various peoples donw there, in several countries. Food, medicine, logistics, schooling. Helpfull, harmless things, yet I was shot at, the people I was visiting were terrorized and tortured because they dealt with the Americanos.

I won't flame you, nor call you anything but seriously misguided. My calumny lies for Guevarra, and my one hope was that he suffered appropriately for the sins and troubles he brought South America.

Chavez is another tyrant of the Castro tint. He has stolen businessess from citizens, shut down the pressess and held sham elections. My son-in-law had some interesting news from the times he spent down there helping them set up the great oil pumps. I think the best way he could put the situation was cluster f**k.

There are lots of patriots and folks in South America to look up to and admire. Two thugs like chavez and castro? Not close.

Banana
02-19-2008, 02:22 PM
To be clear, I don't think anyone was supporting Castro, but was opposed to the silly trade embargo which really has hurt us more than them. If I understand it right, we're pretty much the only one who won't trade with them while they trade away merrily with the rest of world.

I like to think that the embargo is at fault for American's obesity. Consider: Cane sugar in USA is much more expensive than anywhere else, and as consequence several manufacturer uses High Fructose Corn Syrup as a substitute for just about everything. HCFS has been suggested (but not conclusively) to cause increase in obesity rate.

Besides, a bottle of coke in Europe is more tasty than one in USA because former has cane sugar whereas latter uses HFCS.

Even if my speculation is way off the base (and it can very well be as this is ridiculously oversimplification but hey, everyone's entitled to a pet theory or two, no?), I do not think anyone can deny that we basically shot ourselves in the foot with that stupid embargo over ideological disagreement.

Matt Collins
02-19-2008, 05:41 PM
Besides, a bottle of coke in Europe is more tasty than one in USA because former has cane sugar whereas latter uses HFCS.Proof?

axiomata
02-19-2008, 05:49 PM
Proof?

You want proof that it is more tasty or that it uses cane sugar? I can help you with one, the other is well ... a matter of taste.

Matt Collins
02-19-2008, 05:53 PM
Funny, I always read from his manifestos that he was an ardent Marxist.He only said that to get support from Russia during the Cold War. He didn't declare himself a Marxist until after he began seeking foreign aid from the USSR.

Matt Collins
02-19-2008, 05:53 PM
You want proof that it uses cane sugar?yes please

Matt Collins
02-19-2008, 05:54 PM
John McCain will definitely keep the embargo on. I'm pretty sure Hillary Clinton would also. Not sure about Obama. Whether it makes sense or not (it doesn't) it's politically important to win South Florida votes.Yes John, the CANF is a VERY powerful lobby (one of the most powerful in the US actually). The exiled Cuban aristocracy is very bitter and very wealthy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CANF

GoApe4RonPaul2008
02-19-2008, 05:55 PM
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=122385

New bill to remove the federal reserve. Authored by Ron PauL!

Click to find out more :)

Matt Collins
02-19-2008, 05:57 PM
but Castro and Guevara are the best things to ever happen to Cuba.err... not exactly. One dictator is just as bad as another. The only difference is that this dictator is independent and the previous ones were propped up by the US.

But the Cuban people are still better off now than they were under the Batista regime.Uhh....err.... again, 6 or half-dozen is the same thing.