PDA

View Full Version : Is the Precinct Leader system . . . legal?

mkeller
02-18-2008, 11:08 PM
I was talking to a friend of mine, and he told me that he thought calling people for Ron Paul was illegal. He said a "lawyer friend" of his told him that it is illegal for a private party to do mass-callings, and that you have to be at least 18 (I'm 17) and officially hired by a presidential candidate to do so on their behalf.

So I'm wondering - is there any validity to his statement? I've already finished calling everyone in my precinct, so it doesn't really matter anymore, but I'm rather curious . . . and anxious to prove him wrong. ;)

jrich4rpaul
02-18-2008, 11:10 PM
If it's illegal, then every candidate and their campaigns are going to jail. Because they all tell their supporters to do so on their websites.

Jeremy
02-18-2008, 11:11 PM
What if I want to plan a block party or something? lol

Or what if I call all my relatives up for a family reunion?

nate895
02-18-2008, 11:12 PM
Yeah, Huckabee almost sole focus on his website is to get people to call people in the next primary state.

Bubba
02-18-2008, 11:17 PM
Lawyers are famous for being pretty honest folks so I think we should believe every word of it.

(oops sorry forgot my manners)

Way to go young sir, you are questioning authority and will make a fine representative for your area when you are old enough. It's wonderful to hear from the younger generation and that they care about their / our future.

jsu718
02-18-2008, 11:37 PM
Pretty sure you can be considered part of the campaign as a volunteer even if you aren't 18.

ionlyknowy
02-19-2008, 12:25 AM
I was talking to a friend of mine, and he told me that he thought calling people for Ron Paul was illegal. He said a "lawyer friend" of his told him that it is illegal for a private party to do mass-callings, and that you have to be at least 18 (I'm 17) and officially hired by a presidential candidate to do so on their behalf.

So I'm wondering - is there any validity to his statement? I've already finished calling everyone in my precinct, so it doesn't really matter anymore, but I'm rather curious . . . and anxious to prove him wrong. ;)

You have to tell me about this lawyer friend of yours.... where did he go to school? Is he an ACTUAL lawyer? What type of law does he practice?

Are you sure that he/she is not just a paralegal, or legal studies in school?

Whichever the above, he is clueless and dont listen to him. Ask him to show you statutes cases or anything to back up his groundless statements, then post it back here so we can have a look see..

crazyfingers
02-19-2008, 12:52 AM
You have to tell me about this lawyer friend of yours.... where did he go to school? Is he an ACTUAL lawyer? What type of law does he practice?

Are you sure that he/she is not just a paralegal, or legal studies in school?

Whichever the above, he is clueless and dont listen to him. Ask him to show you statutes cases or anything to back up his groundless statements, then post it back here so we can have a look see..

It's a pretty sad state of affairs. I was arguing with a final year law student over the weekend; he had just read "The Communist Manifesto" and thought it sounded like a swell idea.

Oh well, if anything this kind of stupidity should encourage more of us to work within the system. I'm planning on taking the LSAT in the spring. If we don't stand up for our rights, some other idiot will be there to tear them down.