PDA

View Full Version : So I talked to an undecided voter yesterday...I have hope for America

Ex Post Facto
02-18-2008, 08:57 PM
I overheard a conversation the other day about politics. Several people butting in here and there but it seemed like a public discussion. I listened to this Lady talk about Freedoms being taken, the overspending of government, and the War in Iraq. She then said she once was a registered liberitarian, but once involved thought most of the people were "extreme." I thought, surely this lady supports Ron Paul. Boy was I wrong.

I asked her who her presidential candidate was. She told me Edwards. She said but since he dropped out she can't support any of the other ones. I dug a little further, confirming that rights were being stripped by the government. She said, "They are getting too bold, recently, and if they don't stop soon Barry Goldwater may be right." I'm thinking to myself, this lady must support Ron Paul. So I asked, without sounding like a Ron Paul supporter, "Have you heard of Ron Paul?" The lady responded, "Someone handed me a flier once, and I looked it over, and laughed." When I probed further, "What did you laugh about with Ron Paul's stances?" She said, "I can't remember there are too many faces and not enough time to know everything about every candidate."

When I mentioned Ron Paul, another person said "Who is Ron Paul?" I went on to explain Ron Paul's position. Upon mentioning, anti-abortion being a state rights issue this lady said she couldn't support a candidate like that. I said "Now wait a minute, if it's a state rights issue you can have legal abortion in your state." This lady said that is a copout as she viewed herself as part of a country not part of a state.

Anyhow to make a long story short, I didn't pull her over to Ron Paul. However, one thing occured to me. People are going to the polls to vote this year in record numbers. The biggest reason, they know our rights are eroding. They all feel the Revolution, but may be led by the false political prophet. They have good intentions but can't understand the simple politics of Ron Pauls message. They are all engaging, in what I like to call, 'Me, me politics." (Meaning if they don't get nothing tangible from a candidate they won't vote for them). This gives me hope, that if the government keeps pushing and taking rights, slowly no matter what side of the fence people are on politically and peoples luxuries are taken, there will be a force to be reckoned with. This one incident was just confirmation of that possibility.

Bubba
02-18-2008, 09:27 PM
Well you may not have pulled HER in yet but the seed was planted and sounds like more than one seed.

liberteebell
02-18-2008, 09:33 PM
Yep, seed planted. And I've experienced many who were initially hostile to the message and have come back to me later saying they were voting for Ron Paul :D

I believe that most people are hungry to receive the message, but I like your analogy to the false prophet; they think someone else is going to bring the change they want. They just can't get out of their false left/right paradigm in order to open their mind enough to hear the Truth. Little by little though...

gerryb
02-18-2008, 09:39 PM
I can't believe she would mention Barry Goldwater and also laugh at the Ron Paul flier she received.

People are such sheep.

Cleaner44
02-18-2008, 09:57 PM
Women that are thrown off by the abortion issue amaze me. Apparently they don't mind living in a secret prison as long as they can still get an abortion. My point is that voters need to realize that some issues are more important than others and our next President is not going to change abortion either way.

lastnymleft
02-18-2008, 11:41 PM
Women that are thrown off by the abortion issue amaze me. Apparently they don't mind living in a secret prison as long as they can still get an abortion. My point is that voters need to realize that some issues are more important than others and our next President is not going to change abortion either way.

Right. Abortions affect, what, 0.1% of people about 0.00000001% of the time (and they can still travel to another state IF their state happens to vote to make it illegal), whereas lost rights affect 100% of the people 100% of the time.,

nate895
02-18-2008, 11:46 PM

What I find funny is that women are more likely to be pro-life than men. In fact a majority of young woman in a poll I heard last year are pro-life, the only demographic of that variety (age group+gender) to be majority pro-life. I believe it was 55-40, while overall it is the opposite, 55-40 in favor of abortion.

Ex Post Facto
02-19-2008, 01:22 AM
I can't believe she would mention Barry Goldwater and also laugh at the Ron Paul flier she received.

People are such sheep.

I know...I thought I had her pegged as a Ron Paul supporter, when she mentioned Barry Goldwater.