PDA

View Full Version : IL, Guns, and My Little Brother...

Dominic
08-14-2007, 09:49 AM
Here's a short thing I wrote on my blog as the result of something my little brother told me:

I know that as a Ron Paul supporter I'm particularly interested in the way our rights are increasingly being taken away, our privacy is being invaded, and the Government is trying to control too much of our day to day life, but does the following situation bother anyone else?

My brother went to the doctor for a physical recently and they asked him the usual questions about drinking, smoking, etc. But when they neared the end of the list, they asked him, "are there guns in your home?" My brother was astonished. Can someone please explain to me how they have any business asking him, a minor, about that? What relevance does that have to his current health? Now, I'm a pacifist, and would hopefully never harm someone with a gun, but when in the world did it become anyone else's business what you have in your own house?

Now, I know IL is worse off than some places in our nation. And I know that there may be some vague, misguided connection between that question and health care, but more and more our nation is moving to a place where the bill of rights and the constitution is ignored (not to mention biblical justice and integrity!).

We need to do what we can to educate people, and help them to get rid of the ridiculous notions that are pushed by the Democrats and the Nanny-State Republicans like Bush, Romney, Giuliani, Huckabee, et al, and return to true conservatism, based on the original intent of the Constitution, that will further the cause of justice, liberty, and life.

We have a unique opportunity to do that by supporting a man of integrity and principle, who loves life and liberty, who respects the founders and the constitution, and who lives out his faith and beliefs in his many years as a doctor, congressman, husband, and father. Register as a Republican, vote in the primaries, and tell your friends. Above all, get educated. In my links you can find a link to the Ron Paul website, writings from him, and audio from him. Whatever you do, if you chose to participate and support anyone, know why you are doing so, and don't just follow the crowd.

-Dominic

nullvalu
08-14-2007, 10:02 AM
Yeah as a former Illinois resident (still work in Illinois), there are some sadly misguided people there.. Hell the state is operating right now without a budget basically because they can't agree on how much to raise the state sales tax.. Bunch of crooks.. Property taxes are completely insane and going up all the time.. Much more reasonable here in Indiana.

CodeMonkey
08-14-2007, 10:06 AM
Doesn't really bother me... the doctor can ask you anything he wants... you don't have to answer it. It could be legit from a medical standpoint if they are worried about someone's mental health or an abusive situation... but you still don't have to answer. If it were a cop asking, then I'd be concerned.

NCGOPer_for_Paul
08-14-2007, 10:10 AM
Of course it bothers me. It bothers me because the American public is so easily swayed by emotion and "feelings", rather than thought and reason. People are willing to give up their freedom for the FEELING of security.

I bet some DEMOCRAT, probably Obama, in the Illinois state legislature got some bill passed making it a high risk factor for children's health if there was a gun in the house. It probably gives the state the power to bring in whatever Division of Children's "Services" government agency to "monitor" the house.

It's beyond insidious. However, people are idiots. I'm sure the local Illinois news broadcasts "reported" this as how the government is "saving your child's life". Anyone opposed to the legislation probably was referred to as a child-hater or worse. It doesn't matter that the Constitution gives people the RIGHT to bear arms. All that matters is that some gangbangers in Chicago had a shootout and some kid was killed by a stray bullet. Some idiot infobabe probably said "awww, such a shame". A Democrat sees it, plays on emotions, and now some family in farm country can't keep a rifle in the house for fear the state will barge in and take their children.

This is a prime example why Democrats are a bigger danger to America than Republicans.

Dominic
08-14-2007, 10:11 AM
I'm always suspicious of why they want to know and where the information goes.

If they had asked me, I wouldn't have answered, but the point is they asked my young brother who isn't aware of the fact that he can/should not answer.

cujothekitten
08-14-2007, 10:12 AM
I live in Chicago and our gun regulation is nuts. In case some of you didn't know we have a total handgun ban. My father has his dad's old sidearm from when he was a cop. When my father dies I'm supposed to inherit it but thanks to our gun laws I won't be able to. I can either fill the pistol with lead and use it as a decoration in my home, or I can bring it to the police station and they will take it off my hands.

New Hampshire is looking better and better everyday.

NCGOPer_for_Paul
08-14-2007, 10:14 AM
Dominic,

I'll bet you that refusal to answer gets the family put on a "watch list" as well.

I can remember when doctor/patient conversations were private.

nullvalu
08-14-2007, 10:18 AM
Of course it bothers me. It bothers me because the American public is so easily swayed by emotion and "feelings", rather than thought and reason. People are willing to give up their freedom for the FEELING of security.

I bet some DEMOCRAT, probably Obama, in the Illinois state legislature got some bill passed making it a high risk factor for children's health if there was a gun in the house. It probably gives the state the power to bring in whatever Division of Children's "Services" government agency to "monitor" the house.

It's beyond insidious. However, people are idiots. I'm sure the local Illinois news broadcasts "reported" this as how the government is "saving your child's life". Anyone opposed to the legislation probably was referred to as a child-hater or worse. It doesn't matter that the Constitution gives people the RIGHT to bear arms. All that matters is that some gangbangers in Chicago had a shootout and some kid was killed by a stray bullet. Some idiot infobabe probably said "awww, such a shame". A Democrat sees it, plays on emotions, and now some family in farm country can't keep a rifle in the house for fear the state will barge in and take their children.

This is a prime example why Democrats are a bigger danger to America than Republicans.

So right.. it's NON-STOP guns are BAD in Chicago.. Owning a gun of any kind in Chicago is illegal.. these retards like Mayor Daley still aren't happy because they lobby to the Governor to ban all kinds of different weapons.. but guess who have the guns? That's right! the gangbangers... while law-abiding citizens are left unprotected from rapes, mugging & robberies and worse..

there used to be a series of signs on the expressway just outside of chicago that read.. "The police rarely arrive in time...what protects you during a crime?" and then listed a pro-gun website.. Those signs were there for like over year.. a few days ago they had all been spray-painted over.. I wonder what kind of gun-grabbing fascist did that..

NCGOPer_for_Paul
08-14-2007, 10:26 AM
I was out in Chicago at the end of June with my wife, catching a few Cubs games. The big story on the news was the Rev-er-end Jack-son and some Catholic priest getting arrested at a gun store. They and their supporters were blocking the doorway. The news reporters thought what Jesse did was outstanding, "to prevent violence on the Chicago streets".

tmg19103
08-14-2007, 10:27 AM
A lot of "well meaning" doctors are doing this these days across the country. I have never been asked, I own many guns and my answer would not be the obvious "none of your business". My answer would be a flat out lie of "no guns in my house".

Why? Because the doc writes this down and we all know how medical info is being centralized and the government can get their hands on it. Not really a fight for the RP campaign at this moment (let's wait to win). Just say "none of your business" or flat out lie and say "No", which is what I would do. Having "none of your business" on your medical record would be taken as an admission and could be used against you for the most innocuous reasons ever since we had this madman shoot up VA Tech. You tell your doc you had a bad week and feel down, and all the sudden your guns are confiscated because your are a danger to yourself or others.

However, if you are working gun shows in particular, this is something that can be a selling point on RP.

Stockli
08-14-2007, 10:39 AM
NCGOPer_for_Paul,

the Constitution gives people the RIGHT to bear arms.

I like to believe the Constitution was instituted to protects my rights, not to grant them.

We need to give people the benefit of the doubt. In the public schools I grew up in, no time was spent on individual rights, or personal responsibility, or freedom. Most people in this country never hear the other side of the story.
We're told from cradle to grave that in 1776 a war of independence was fought and won in order for us to enjoy the freedom we now have. The freedom to pledge allegiance, pay unapportioned taxes, and to be disarmed. Wars were fought over less.

[QUOTE]Ask not what your country can do for you; ask what you can do for your country/QUOTE]

disinter
08-14-2007, 10:40 AM
Doctors are becoming arms of the state... sad.

I would have told that doctor to fuck off.

NCGOPer_for_Paul
08-14-2007, 10:42 AM
Stockli,

Very true.

angelatc
08-14-2007, 10:43 AM
Doesn't really bother me... the doctor can ask you anything he wants... you don't have to answer it. It could be legit from a medical standpoint if they are worried about someone's mental health or an abusive situation... but you still don't have to answer. If it were a cop asking, then I'd be concerned.

But the thing is that when you go to the doctor now, you have to sign a paper that pretty much gives anybody with a badge the right to look at your medical records. Couple that with the National Health Care Database that both parties endorse, and see where you end up.

I hope the kid said that's none of your business.

CodeMonkey
08-14-2007, 10:48 AM
But the thing is that when you go to the doctor now, you have to sign a paper that pretty much gives anybody with a badge the right to look at your medical records. Couple that with the National Health Care Database that both parties endorse, and see where you end up.

I hope the kid said that's none of your business.

If this is true, then it is wrong and needs to be addressed on its own. The fact remains that a doctor should be free to ask any question he feels necessary to ask. Telling a doctor what he can or can't ask is... tada... unconstitutional government intervention.

angelatc
08-14-2007, 10:49 AM
I live in Chicago and our gun regulation is nuts. In case some of you didn't know we have a total handgun ban. My father has his dad's old sidearm from when he was a cop. When my father dies I'm supposed to inherit it but thanks to our gun laws I won't be able to. I can either fill the pistol with lead and use it as a decoration in my home, or I can bring it to the police station and they will take it off my hands.

New Hampshire is looking better and better everyday.

Can't he just report it stolen now, and then hand it down to you anyway?

New Hampshire is starting to swing Democrat. If you want to go, you have to go fast.

The gun ban in DC was overturned, so there's no reason to think that this court wouldn't overturn the Chicago ban too if it was properly challenged.

Dominic
08-14-2007, 10:50 AM
I certainly wasn't trying to make the point that the Govt. should intervene in this case. The point is I'm certain at least at the state level, this is something being pushed by the government.

ARealConservative
08-14-2007, 10:53 AM
sounds to me like the Dr was concerned with possible depression?

I live on the Iowa/IL border and have been a resident of both states. This question was never posed to me.

CodeMonkey
08-14-2007, 10:54 AM
I certainly wasn't trying to make the point that the Govt. should intervene in this case. The point is I'm certain at least at the state level, this is something being pushed by the government.

If I were you or your parents and I was really concerned about this, I would call the doctor's office and ask them why they asked that question, and what happens to the information given by your brother.

NCGOPer_for_Paul
08-14-2007, 11:01 AM

New Hampshire is starting to swing Democrat. If you want to go, you have to go fast.

The gun ban in DC was overturned, so there's no reason to think that this court wouldn't overturn the Chicago ban too if it was properly challenged.

I honestly believe the Free Staters goofed. They overlooked one factor, Boston. A lot of people can't afford to live in Taxachusetts, but they work in Boston. New Hampshire was a reasonably priced alternative.

Dominic
08-14-2007, 11:02 AM
Yeah, I think my parents are getting on that.

tmg19103
08-14-2007, 11:18 AM
From reading gun forums, docs are asking this as a general question - not just if they are concerned about depression (though that may or may not be the case in the post that started this thread).

Be VERY, VERY careful with what you say in these siutations. Obviously, if your are depressed you should seek help. That's why I'd lie about having guns. If you are going to kill yourself you are going to kill yourself. Japan has a virtual ban a personal firearm ownership and a suicide rate three times the U.S. Since Canada tightened gun laws, suicide by hanging has gone through the roof.

Suicidial people will find a way to kill themselves no matter, seek help if you are depressed, and decide for yourself how you want to answer the gun question if the doc asks. Me - I don't own any guns as far as the doc is concerned. I don't need my 2nd Amendment rights trampled on just because some anti-gun doc decides I'm having a bad day.

I could never imagine myself being suicidal, but if I ever were, I certainly don't need a gun to do it. I had a suicidal friend years back who killed himself by driving his car at high rate of speed into a bridge abutment. No gun needed. I know a friend of a friend who used the old hose from the exhaust pipe into the car method in the garage. This gun question by these docs really is not based on any reality IMHO and could just lead to a violation of your rights.

Roxi
08-14-2007, 12:42 PM
Here's a short thing I wrote on my blog as the result of something my little brother told me:

I know that as a Ron Paul supporter I'm particularly interested in the way our rights are increasingly being taken away, our privacy is being invaded, and the Government is trying to control too much of our day to day life, but does the following situation bother anyone else?

My brother went to the doctor for a physical recently and they asked him the usual questions about drinking, smoking, etc. But when they neared the end of the list, they asked him, "are there guns in your home?" My brother was astonished. Can someone please explain to me how they have any business asking him, a minor, about that? What relevance does that have to his current health? Now, I'm a pacifist, and would hopefully never harm someone with a gun, but when in the world did it become anyone else's business what you have in your own house?

Now, I know IL is worse off than some places in our nation. And I know that there may be some vague, misguided connection between that question and health care, but more and more our nation is moving to a place where the bill of rights and the constitution is ignored (not to mention biblical justice and integrity!).

We need to do what we can to educate people, and help them to get rid of the ridiculous notions that are pushed by the Democrats and the Nanny-State Republicans like Bush, Romney, Giuliani, Huckabee, et al, and return to true conservatism, based on the original intent of the Constitution, that will further the cause of justice, liberty, and life.

We have a unique opportunity to do that by supporting a man of integrity and principle, who loves life and liberty, who respects the founders and the constitution, and who lives out his faith and beliefs in his many years as a doctor, congressman, husband, and father. Register as a Republican, vote in the primaries, and tell your friends. Above all, get educated. In my links you can find a link to the Ron Paul website, writings from him, and audio from him. Whatever you do, if you chose to participate and support anyone, know why you are doing so, and don't just follow the crowd.

-Dominic

Im under the understanding this question is being sold or given to insurance companies.... if theres a gun in your home accidental death risk is higher because people dont educate themselves or their kids on gun use

what? if he reports it stolen and she ever gets caught with it, she would not only have an illegal gun but a stolen illegal gun, im not sure im clear on your answer

Nefertiti
08-14-2007, 01:01 PM
Here might be an explanation for this:

http://www.tysknews.com/Depts/2nd_Amend/boundary_violation.htm

In any case, you are free not to answer the question, aren't you?

Dominic
08-14-2007, 01:05 PM
Here might be an explanation for this:

http://www.tysknews.com/Depts/2nd_Amend/boundary_violation.htm

In any case, you are free not to answer the question, aren't you?

Certainly. But again, the point is they asked this of a young minor who may not have been aware of the consequences of answering.

But anyway, like I said, I'm not trying to get any action other than support for Ron Paul who can help us turn the momentum back toward smaller government.