PDA

View Full Version : My friend is running for congress

Tuck
08-14-2007, 09:32 AM
One of my close friends had given up hope that the republican party would ever return to its roots of small government and freedom until I introduced him to Ron Paul earlier this year. Well since then he has been really inspired by Paul's message that he is now thinking about running for congress in our district. The only problem is that he is not a career politician, although that might actually help him. He is a lawyer and has been named one of the top lawyers in the state of Texas and he is a GREAT speaker, the only thing he is nervous about right now is that he's never really done anything like this and like most people doesn't know exactly what to expect. Are there any websites/books/politicians that would be worth studying so he can get a better idea of what to expect? He has always said he was a libertarian but he said he would run as a republican since thats really the only way he would stand a chance.

cujothekitten
08-14-2007, 09:42 AM
Most campaign advisors have written books, I'd say start there. Running for congress is easier than running for the presidency so if he’s smart, articulate, and honest he has a decent shot.

kylejack
08-14-2007, 09:44 AM
I'd analyze Paul Broun's campaign. As much as it would be nice to just project a message, you have to form a coalition using different elements of the message to have a hope of beating the establishment candidates. Ron Paul did it against Tom Delay, NRA and co. when he entered Congress, and Paul Broun did it more recently.

Mani
08-14-2007, 10:07 AM
One of my close friends had given up hope that the republican party would ever return to its roots of small government and freedom until I introduced him to Ron Paul earlier this year. Well since then he has been really inspired by Paul's message that he is now thinking about running for congress in our district. The only problem is that he is not a career politician, although that might actually help him. He is a lawyer and has been named one of the top lawyers in the state of Texas and he is a GREAT speaker, the only thing he is nervous about right now is that he's never really done anything like this and like most people doesn't know exactly what to expect. Are there any websites/books/politicians that would be worth studying so he can get a better idea of what to expect? He has always said he was a libertarian but he said he would run as a republican since thats really the only way he would stand a chance.

I think some of the FL meetups are doing this kind of thing. They are trying to get a Ron Paul like person running in every district in FL.

You can contact Dean, our Miami meetup coordinator and he might be able to give your friend some support:

http://ronpaul.meetup.com/9/members/4128418/

Santana28
08-14-2007, 10:30 AM
Why don't you try actually contacting someone from HQ, or that Broun guy, or someone else who has done it before? I'm sure they could offer you advice, and might even possibly give you leads on people to talk to about getting tangible support and networks going.

Now if we only had 100 more people like your friend all over the country :)

disinter
08-14-2007, 10:39 AM
I ran for US congress in 2006. It is not hard.

Of course I was basically a paper candidate on the LP ticket....

Elwar
08-14-2007, 10:45 AM
I read this book (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0966830407/sr/ref=pd_cp_b_1/105-3992383-7064438?ie=UTF8&qid=1187109769&sr=8-1&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-41&pf_rd_r=0TPDCQHACJ3YRNATQD5S&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_p=252362401&pf_rd_i=0813342228)
It's pretty decent.

DeadheadForPaul
08-14-2007, 10:54 AM
good luck to him! Running GOP is definitely the way to go :)

Thom1776
08-14-2007, 11:09 AM
In 1992, I was a 28 year old delivery driver. I ran for congress as an independent. Here are the results:

Massachusetts 2nd Congressional District 1992

Candidate Votes Money Spent Votes/$
Neal (D)(inc) 131,215 53% $240,000 0.55
Ravosa (R) 76,795 31% $100,000 0.75
Sheehan (I) 38,963 16% $4,000 9.75

My message then was almost identical to what Ron Paul is saying today. I had to fight for almost every bit of media coverage that I got. My biggest boost came from a live, prime-time televised debate where I was able to expound my campaign platform of "The Constitution and Common Sense". I attended many candidate forums where I was received with great enthusiasm.

The bottom line: When my message and positions were presented on an equal stage with my two opponents, I would blow them out of the water. If the election were decided only by people who heard the three of us together, I would have won easily.

I ran two TV ads and one radio ad the week before the election. If I had the internet back then, I think I would have won.

I did all this basically on my own.

purepaloma
08-14-2007, 11:11 AM
I wouldn't follow the John Cox platform.

Hook
08-14-2007, 11:14 AM
So Tuck, you aren't Tucker Carlson are you?

NCGOPer_for_Paul
08-14-2007, 11:18 AM
Does he have any lawyer friends that he could count on for support?

Would the bar association give an endorsement?

How much money can he raise? You need a lot to win.

It's a lot easier doing it as a Republican or Democrat.

Be confident in your issues. Be confident in your speeches.

When I ran as a Libertarian in '02, I was a bit tounge-tied at some early appearances. By Election Day, I had it down to a science as to what to say and how to say it.

Syren123
08-14-2007, 11:19 AM
Have your friend check out the Republican Liberty Caucus: http://www.rlc.org/
Their mission is right in line with your friend's.

The Campaign Store has books and campaign starter kits and other stuff:
http://www.thecampaignstore.com/?rname=RLCCA

Good luck!

Hook
08-14-2007, 11:26 AM
If you are Tucker, you should start wearing bowties again! Make sure to wear some Ron Paul bowties while you are at it.

Hook
08-14-2007, 11:31 AM
No response, I think we have our answer :)

Hook
08-14-2007, 12:35 PM
Still not there Tuck?.... :)

Tuck
08-14-2007, 01:08 PM
Lol no I am NOT Tucker Carlson ;) thanks for your help everybody