PDA

View Full Version : Questions for the Ames Tribune

militant
08-14-2007, 08:56 AM
I originally placed an order for 2 copies of the edition with that wonderful ad. Then last night I asked for 8 more, and asked if I could submit a few questions. The response I received was this:

We completed the initial mailing yesterday. Our local Post Office was able to offer us great assistance. The Post Office had one postal clerk dedicated in the afternoon just for this mailing. We will get another 8 copies in the mail to you today along with the Sunday’s front page. We did a good job in covering all the participants both with stories and photos.

We have gathered all the unsold copies from our retail stores for last minute requests.

There is a newspaper circulation directors’ forum and I will ask your question about requests for paid ads. I would guess that this is first for so many paid ads being requested and across the country and international. We have heard from most states, No requests from states like North and South Dakota.

We are a small market newspaper that is celebrating 140 years of continued publication—we started 2 years after the Civil War and have never missed a day of publication.

If you would like to send us a list of questions we would probably have time on Wednesday to response.

Thanks

Dan

So, guys, here's our chance to find out how effective the ad was and whether we can make hay while the sun shines, with this. Submit your questions in this thread and I'll gather them and forward them along. My suggestion is that we ask not only about the ad, but about the paper itself, its circulation, reader response, and so forth. The media, even small local media, likes to be stroked, so let's get out the antibiotic handwash and start petting them.

Props to Lord Xar and everyone else who made this happen. We might get a lot of play out of this, with a little luck and a little work :)

militant
08-14-2007, 09:49 AM
bump

guys, i only have until tomorrow morning to gather questions.

Spirit of '76
08-14-2007, 10:19 AM
Please ask:

What impact did the massive number of requests for this ad have on the staff of the paper? Were they moved by the outpouring of support?

specsaregood
08-14-2007, 10:31 AM
Questions:

1. Is this the first time that an Advertisement has increased circulation.
2. Do they have any suggestions that would have made the ad more effective? From their experience?

Marshall
08-14-2007, 10:35 AM
What kind of sales figures did they have in terms of retail outlets or people calling in for a copy of the paper? Were their numbers any different then the average Saturday issue?

Scribbler de Stebbing
08-14-2007, 12:51 PM
Not sure I understand the purpose of the questions. If anything, I'd ask "how can an honest candidate for president catch a break in the press against the slick media-anointed politicians?"

Mani
08-14-2007, 01:05 PM
I asked a woman named Jinjer, about how it went (while I was giving her my pament information). She was polite and said this was the first time they had anything like this, she said they mailed out 1600 copies on Monday alone and they really appreciated the extra business.

Sematary
08-14-2007, 01:10 PM
I'd like to ask them if they got any response from the locals - positive or negative