PDA

View Full Version : what is to stop us from...

BarryDonegan
02-17-2008, 06:03 PM
in order to secure our republican government, and to take back economic control, we just ammend the constitution to wipe out all debts owed by the UNITED STATES, disengage from all prior treaties?

if our military generals were to back our government, and our government withdrew from all these formal engagements and backed our decision to go into permanent default on all debts without any measures taken to pay for them, the only way to claim this stuff from us would be via military conquest, which, at this point, we can still dominate them.

the constitutional ammendment could also remove the ability of the United States to take on debt.

granted, i dont think this could pass with the people right now, but if the social security coffers come up dry and the government defaults on its debt to the American people, that leaves us paying for the foreign debts while not getting our money back on the domestic ones. I could see a strong argument for the American people saying we want to ammend the constitution to wipe out all debt, and to wipe the concept of debt from American government. I.E. we can no longer take on debts for the purposes of spending.

we would have to retool the conception of ownership after that, as very little real property is owned by americans, but if our border was defended by 10,000 nuclear weapons, whose going to tell us the way we pick is wrong?

m72mc
02-17-2008, 06:12 PM
The international economic ramifications would be catastrophic for the US.

Your whole economic and material system would collapse. You hardly produce anything anymore.

It might go as it went with German economy after ww1, Inflation could go crazy, ofc if u don´t get your finances in order, you might go bankrupt anyway

10 Pfennig 1914
10 Pfennig, Copper-Nickel
Would buy ½ dozen eggs
or 2 ½ pounds of potatoes.
Bread is 13 Pfennig for a 1 pound loaf.

then it got worse

Suitcases, rather than wallets, were used to carry money

and even worse

1 Billion Mark, October 20, 1923 Reichsbanknote
Would buy ¾ Pound of Meat, 3 eggs or 1/6 Pound of Butter
Bread is 670 Million Mark a loaf.

you can read more about it here

A LOOK AT GERMAN INFLATION
1914 - 1924 (http://www.joelscoins.com/exhibger2.htm)

Unspun
02-17-2008, 06:20 PM
Yeah sounds great until no one will trade with us and they boycott our dollar...

corsairtro
02-17-2008, 06:22 PM
taking a lesson from the mortgage market i see?

integrity
02-17-2008, 06:22 PM
if we put up a sign:

UNDER NEW MANAGEMENT

it would make it all better!

Thomas Paine
02-17-2008, 06:24 PM
A nation cannot become great unless it proves to the world that it has good credit. Now I will agree that this nation has taken on too much debt much too irresponsibly. However, this nation needs to have access to credit in case of war or crisis.