PDA

View Full Version : What does a state senetor or congressman do?

driller
02-17-2008, 03:40 PM
I have been concentrating on running for US congress, but am thinking of maybe running for a state congress seat instead.

With as little income they make do they still hold jobs outside of their office? Is this a 5 day a week position? How often do they have to go to the capital to vote?

i would consider a run for this position if I can still keep my regular job. I am in AZ

forsmant
02-17-2008, 03:43 PM
I suggest you search your local governments site to find out those rules.

State and local governments are increasing size and spending at a faster rate then the federal government. They need to be reigned in and controlled by Ron Paul Republicans with a sound understanding of how governments affect the economy.

driller
02-17-2008, 03:47 PM
I have been trying hard to find this on the internet and can't find info on it. i do know that looking at campaing finances people spend less that $30,000 to run for these statewide offices.

I am hoping someone will have experience with this here.

forsmant
02-17-2008, 03:56 PM
Ask your local representative.

nate895
02-17-2008, 11:08 PM
I suggest you search your local governments site to find out those rules.

State and local governments are increasing size and spending at a faster rate then the federal government. They need to be reigned in and controlled by Ron Paul Republicans with a sound understanding of how governments affect the economy.

If you are self-employed you will probably be able to keep the job. Most legislatures take Friday and Monday off, but some don't. Also, some states have part-time legislatures that are only in session for 1/4-1/2 of the year, while some are full time (take the same breaks as Congress, for the most part). I'd look it up in the State Government section of the World Almanac.

driller
02-18-2008, 09:00 AM
Thanks, I still can't find this info. You guys are helping alot though.

MozoVote
02-19-2008, 07:00 PM
North Carolina has a part-time legislature and it doesn't pay much. The only people that run are generally doctors and lawyers that can afford to maintain a functioning practice at home, while keeping a toe in the government.