PDA

View Full Version : Letter to the Editor: Obama is a Hypocrite

biles1234
02-17-2008, 01:51 PM
After a string of pro-Obama letters to the editor at the University of Michigan newspaper, I decided to write my own piece to send in this week. I apologize if this not the right place to post. However, before I sent this in I wanted to get some thoughts so any praise/suggestions/criticism would really be appreciated. Thanks!

Barack Obama is a Hypocrite

It is oddly fascinating, yet incredibly sad to watch the masses and my fellow peers blindly flock to the phenomenon that is Barack Obama, all in the name of "change."

Many ignore the fact that Barack Obama voted for the reauthorization of the Patriot Act, a piece of legislation reminiscent of the decrees passed in Nazi Germany following the Reichstag Fire in the name of counter-terrorism. The Patriot Act allows the government to break into your home and conduct warantless searches without ever notifying you as well as accessing your medical records, tax records, and information about the books that you buy and borrow. Despite being a blatant violation of our civil liberties and being ruled unconstitutional by the Supreme Court, the reauthorization kept the fundamental provisions intact.

Barack Obama's message of peace and ending the war is nothing but campaign rhetoric. At a November 2007 debate, both he and Hillary Clinton acknowledged that if elected, they would not guarantee that the troops would be pulled out of Iraq by 2013. In addition, Obama has voted for continued Iraq War funding on numerous ocassions. Although his warmongering may not reach the levels of nutcases like John "100 years in Iraq" McCain, Obama has called Iran a "threat to all of us" and threatened military action despite the country's nonexistent nuclear weapons program and the fact that to this point, Iran has not posed a national secutity to us whatsoever.

To put it kindly, Obama is a hypocrite. He has admitted to using marijuana and cocaine in the past. Yet he does not want to decriminalize marijuana or pardon non-violent drug offenders. By this logic, Obama thinks the country would be a better place if he had gone to prison for his drug use. Do you think an ex-felon Obama would be running for president? The War on Drugs is a huge waste of taxpayer money and one of the most detrimental policies today to African Americans. In the United States today, only 14 percent of drug users are black. Yet blacks make up 63 percent of those in prison for drug-related offenses.

He sure has some courage to rally against the special interests and convince his supporters that he does not take lobbyist money despite the fact that his campaign finance records show him taking millions of dollars from lobbyists and PACs between 1996 and 2004 for his Illinois and United States senatorial campaigns. These contributions came from a variety of souces including defense contractors, law firms, and insurance companies as the Boston Globe exposed in their August 2007 article.

In conclusion, Obama has some questions to answer. With a $9.3 trillion national debt, how does he expect to pay for his education and healthcare proposals? How does he plan to address the country's economic crisis and the devaluation of the dollar?

To reverse the words of the great Sam Cooke, a "change is not gonna come." Barack Obama, like Clinton and McCain, represents the same principles of big government, out-of-control spending, intervention abroad and the violation of our civil libeties as the Bush administration. In spite of his tremendous charisma, eloquence, and intelligence, we must recognize Barack Obama and his ascension into the mainstream consciousness for what it was: a facade; a nicely-wrapped package propagated to the masses through the mainstream media. Since electing an honest candidate for the people like a Ron Paul or Dennis Kucinich is impossible due to the establishment-controlled media, I sincerely hope that Barack Obama does get elected. I want to see him elected so I can observe just how much of a colossal failure he will be to the so-called progressives and the African American community, in the hopes that the naive masses will have the wool pulled from over their eyes.