PDA

View Full Version : I Just Came to an Earth-Shattering Personal Revelation...

BuddyRey
02-17-2008, 06:14 AM
All the years I spent in school as a youth were a complete and thorough waste of time. With the exception of the very necessary but rudimentary math skills I learned, and a more than negligible chunk of my understanding of grammar, vocabulary, and usage, everything else of value that has thus far comprised my education was either knowledge I sought after myself, or what I learned from parents and close family.

I'm learning so much more every day as an adult than I did in a full year of compulsory schooling, voluntarily reading and enjoying books I would have rejected on principle if assigned by a teacher. My knowledge of American history, civics, and philosophy, while still very elementary compared to most Ron Paul supporters, is exponentially deepening by the month.

I hope I don't sound like an anti-intellectual when I say that leaving behind the compulsory schooling system was the single greatest moment in the lifetime of my reasoning human mind. :D

liberteebell
02-17-2008, 06:32 AM
Heh, been there. Done that. Got the tee shirt. (sucks, doesn't it?)

At least we woke up :cool::D

Kingfisher
02-17-2008, 06:43 AM
Good post. Takes some longer to wake up. Some never do...................Big bucks to go to college and further your brainwashing.

Conza88
02-17-2008, 08:14 AM
Well done!

~~~ Must Read Books ~~~
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=79751

;)

Chester Copperpot
02-17-2008, 08:27 AM
All the years I spent in school as a youth were a complete and thorough waste of time. With the exception of the very necessary but rudimentary math skills I learned, and a more than negligible chunk of my understanding of grammar, vocabulary, and usage, everything else of value that has thus far comprised my education was either knowledge I sought after myself, or what I learned from parents and close family.

I'm learning so much more every day as an adult than I did in a full year of compulsory schooling, voluntarily reading and enjoying books I would have rejected on principle if assigned by a teacher. My knowledge of American history, civics, and philosophy, while still very elementary compared to most Ron Paul supporters, is exponentially deepening by the month.

I hope I don't sound like an anti-intellectual when I say that leaving behind the compulsory schooling system was the single greatest moment in the lifetime of my reasoning human mind. :D

Yes welcome to the autodidact club.. Your scenario sounds very much like my own and I venture to say many others who are here...

Remember this, if you study a topic for one hour a day 5 days a week.. after 4 years you have the equivalent of a masters degree in that subject and after 7 years you'll be one of the most learned experts on that topic anywhere.

brandon
02-17-2008, 08:28 AM
I Highly reccomend dropping out as soon as possible. I stopped attending school in the 9th grade.

You have to be prepared to educate yourself after dropping out though. I went to community college after dropping out of high school, and eventually transferred to a real university. I find the atmosphere at community college to be much more conducive of independent thought.

"Passive acceptance of the teacher's wisdom is easy to most boys and girls. It involves no effort of independent thought, and seems rational because the teacher knows more than his pupils; it is moreover the way to win the favour of the teacher unless he is a very exceptional man. Yet the habit of passive acceptance is a disastrous one in later life. It causes man to seek and to accept a leader, and to accept as a leader whoever is established in that position. "
-Bertrand Russell

Truth-Bringer
02-17-2008, 08:33 AM

I came to that realization after I got out of school also. I HIGHLY recommend that you read the following:

http://www.buildfreedom.com/tl/wua3.shtml