PDA

View Full Version : Working on issues for my congress run: please help me with this

Rhys
02-16-2008, 09:23 AM
How will pulling out of NAFTA and removing CAFTA help US Auto Industries? How will the monetary policy help? How do I debate against the potential of removing the "health care burden" from employers, such as Hilary want to do.

How do I phrase these to hit it out of the park. I have a lot of Detroit burbs in my district.

thanks.

Slugg
02-16-2008, 09:48 AM
As far as NAFTA and CAFTA go, your REALLY need to look into some documentries. I highly suggest you research these deeply because they are very involved. Your basic position will be that NAFTA and CAFTA are MANAGED trade, not free trade. This makes it cheaper for industries to move their jobs to other countries (like Mexico). Moreover, it makes it more difficult for up and comming businesses to trade internationally. But, again, really research these issues. I suggest going to www.mises.org.... listen to their seminar that you can download for free. Deeply understand the full seminar and all the lectures....if you understand these concepts; debating anyone over economics becomes easy.

Concerning health care, I suggest you go to my blog in my signature and look around for a video of Ron Paul answering Health care questions. It is a great primer on a free market solution to health care. The problem with Hillary Care is that it forces people to purchase health insurance, even if they can't afford it. So, for middle class families who don't have health care because they can't afford it...too bad...buy it or pay a 1000 dollar fine. Yes, it's health care for all....but it's by no means free.

In order to qualify for the 'free' health care, a family will have to be poor. So, if you fall into the middle class bracket and have problems paying for health care, your only option is to become poor to recieve the free health care...or lie.

You ask deep questions that I'm sure will draw a wide variety of responses. That's why I can't stress enough to put yourself through the mises courses online. They are free.

Start by reading, "Introduction to Economic Reasoning". You can find it at mises.org for free. This book is written for 6th graders, so its perfect for adults (like me) who have never studied ecomics. the book teaches free market principals. Then, get an MP3 player and download all the Mises Seminar lectures (for free), after reading the above book, you'll be ready to understand the lectures. These lectures and the book will give you the tools you need to really, and I do mean REALLY, debate economics. Moreover, you will understand how to fix our problems.

This is how Ron Paul did it, he taught himself through books. We now have the internet, we must put in the time and work ourselves.

Congrats on your run, I hope you make it. If you don't, make sure to immediatly get ready to run again. We need self starters like yourself.

Thanks for your hard work!

Phill

ronpaulblogsdotcom
02-16-2008, 09:53 AM
Be careful with the numbers on the auto industry. NAFTA really shot up the imports from Mexico and Candada at first. Now car parts are coming from China too! Make sure to get the numbers on that. But strangely China buys almost no car parts from us.

These trade agreements were supposed to help both sides get more trade. For the USA they have all been increase in trade deficits to China, Mexico, and Canada.

Armed Madhouse the book has some good numbers on this stuff. Its index is pretty good too. You could look at it at a bookstore in a few minutes and get the info.

Rhys
02-16-2008, 09:56 AM
thanks! another question is, do we want employers to provide health care? do we care one way or the other? I'd say it's up to the employer, who would want to provide it to get the best employees.

ronpaulblogsdotcom
02-16-2008, 10:04 AM
Personally on healthcare, I hope you are, and show that you are, compassionate and want everyone to have affordable healthcare.

How to do that is the issue.

I think govt screws up everything it touches for the most part, except the most simple of tasks. It also has shown that there is immense corruption and lack of concern of what things cost people and try to make sure to NEVER penalize a company and usually help them set up a racket.

If you are going to say no govt healthcare make sure to research the costs of the prescription healthcare plan and the child healthcare plans. These have had terrible fundings, incredibly high costs and have been called some of the worst bills financial ever.

I like to agree with ROn Paul that we should have decisions made as close to the affected party as possible. I ahve been in companies where the healthcare was good because my bosses' bosses fought for a good plan and good costs. Do you think some bureaucrat you never met will do that?

02-16-2008, 10:04 AM
I would HIGHLY suggest not touching on these in a congressional campaign as it is VERY difficult to explain to a large mass of uninformed people the difference between exclusive trade agreements and free trade. DO NOT talk about monetary policy, and if you do, talk about the burden of inflation but nothing more!

It's not a hole worth digging to talk about issues that are on the extreme margins for most voters (or off the radar screen entirely). Do what Dr. Paul does regarding Iraq in his district, for this: DON'T talk about it.

02-16-2008, 10:12 AM
I noticed now you mentioned healthcare too.

Something like this would be an issue statement:

"My feelings on healthcare are probably the same as yours. I believe strongly that the best that we can do is to strengthen the importance of the relationship between the doctor and the patient, and as your representative I would oppose any bureaucratic measures that want to intrude on that special connection.

I feel that healthcare should be more affordable, as you do. Unfortunately, politicians have jumped on the "mandated healthcare" bandwagon, which means that the government would completely own the healthcare system. Imagine not being able to choose your doctor or have any control, any say, in your own healthcare! I oppose any measure that would give government control over our personal healthcare decisions.

I support Health Savings Accounts (HSAs) and tax rebates on certain healthcare expenditures, because the best way that we can reform the system is to allow people to keep more of their own money. You are the best spender of your own money, not politicians in Washington."

Hope that helps. Make sure and say you support HSAs, that's a very popular idea in suburban areas.

If you'd like any more help with other issues as far as forming them into succinct statements for a website and campaign stuff, shoot me a message and I'll see what I can do.

ronpaulblogsdotcom
02-16-2008, 10:14 AM
I would HIGHLY suggest not touching on these in a congressional campaign as it is VERY difficult to explain to a large mass of uninformed people the difference between exclusive trade agreements and free trade. DO NOT talk about monetary policy, and if you do, talk about the burden of inflation but nothing more!

It's not a hole worth digging to talk about issues that are on the extreme margins for most voters (or off the radar screen entirely). Do what Dr. Paul does regarding Iraq in his district, for this: DON'T talk about it.

I was thinking that at first but he is in Michigan. These might be impossible to avoid and would likely be hot button issues for them.

You might want to research other candidates in Michigan in both parties and even mayors and governors to see what they have said and how it was received. These issues if done right can be vote getters. Of course you have to make the decision if you should use them or not.

I think you should have a policy in case you are asked and also just to have an idea of what your potential constiuents feelings are.

02-16-2008, 10:17 AM
I was thinking that at first but he is in Michigan. These might be impossible to avoid and would likely be hot button issues for them.

You might want to research other candidates in Michigan in both parties and even mayors and governors to see what they have said and how it was received. These issues if done right can be vote getters. Of course you have to make the decision if you should use them or not.

I think you should have a policy in case you are asked and also just to have an idea of what your potential constiuents feelings are.

That's a good point, but the assertive candidate shapes the race.

If he can focus on a few issues his opponents aren't talking about, or push one or two particularly hard, his opponents can't help but to talk about it, and in fact have to.

Actually, if you jump into the race with a good head start on advertising, you can frame the debate.

Rhys
02-16-2008, 10:23 AM
i like the statement you wrote and I do support HSA's.

The people of my district do not like NAFTA one bit. They see all these trade deals as "sending jobs to mexico and china". Actually I'll talk about how:

"We wont send any more jobs to Mexico or China, we'll rebuild our economy at home so American factories can afford to be the best again. Henry Ford built the idea that a company can pay her workers well AND make a good profit. We need to get back the the ideals that made America great, sound money, liberty and free markets. This means, getting rid of NAFTA, getting rid of CAFTA, and getting rid of the those in Washington who's outsource our economy. The Dingel family's been in Washington for 80 years. What's changed? It's time to bring freedom back to Detroit."

sratiug
02-16-2008, 10:31 AM
How will pulling out of NAFTA and removing CAFTA help US Auto Industries? How will the monetary policy help? How do I debate against the potential of removing the "health care burden" from employers, such as Hilary want to do.

How do I phrase these to hit it out of the park. I have a lot of Detroit burbs in my district.

thanks.

McCain says your jobs are gone and they're not coming back. Romney said he could get them back with a few billion of taxpayer money. The Ron Paul Revolution says end NAFTA and CAFTA, coin real money that can be saved, and employ Americans that can save their real money to buy Cadillacs. GMAC was for a long time the most profitable part of GM, so they've mostly been selling money.

Personally I like a tarrif set in stone across the board at say, 10%, too. Phuck free trade. That would be my flat tax on the Chinese and other non-Americans. No point giving them all of our gold. It makes no sense to move our factories overseas to make cars to sell here, because it makes us unable to afford the cars.

NAFTA has put millions of Mexican farmers out of work so they can work at slave wages building our cars. (hundreds of thousand demonstrated in the streets last month). End our agriculture imperialism and subsidies and Mexicans can stay home and grow their own food, and that will drive up the cost of Mexican labor and maybe an auto plant will stay in the U.S.

02-16-2008, 10:46 AM
i like the statement you wrote and I do support HSA's.

The people of my district do not like NAFTA one bit. They see all these trade deals as "sending jobs to mexico and china". Actually I'll talk about how:

"We wont send any more jobs to Mexico or China, we'll rebuild our economy at home so American factories can afford to be the best again. Henry Ford built the idea that a company can pay her workers well AND make a good profit. We need to get back the the ideals that made America great, sound money, liberty and free markets. This means, getting rid of NAFTA, getting rid of CAFTA, and getting rid of the those in Washington who's outsource our economy. The Dingel family's been in Washington for 80 years. What's changed? It's time to bring freedom back to Detroit."

Bleh. I hate this talk of "jobs going places" because jobs don't just pick up and leave like that.

But if it gets you elected, so be it.

Rhys
02-16-2008, 11:00 AM
Bleh. I hate this talk of "jobs going places" because jobs don't just pick up and leave like that.

But if it gets you elected, so be it.

our jobs wents somewhere, cause they're not here.