PDA

View Full Version : Election reform

tondog4paul
02-15-2008, 10:01 PM
I believe this system we have is wrong. Very wrong. I think it should be a priority to add it to this cause we are fighting for as well. I remember being taught in grade school the basics of our "representative democracy". It didn't seem right to me then and it doesn't seem right now. In fact they told us flat out, "Our founding fathers didn't believe that the general public was capable of actually deciding who should be president.:mad:

Maybe thats why I never voted.

I find myself tossing around at night trying to come up with a way to make the election system fair and accurate. This is my basic idea:

1) First of all, it should be a 100% popular vote. Anyone who is high ranking should have a vote that counts as one. Just like you, me, and the president. Super delegates! Bull s%$#!

2) I do not believe anyone should be asked what party they belong to. It doesn't matter and its none of their business.

3) Paper ballots only. For everyone, in all states. Period. That should never change, ever! No matter how advanced technology gets. I believe any discrepancies in an election should be attributed to human error and nothing else.

4) Counting votes is a joke as it stands. This should be treated as a sacred and potentially treasonous subject. There should be an iron clad order of events from the beginning to the end where the ballots never leave plain sight and are counted in plain view of everyone and verified by a cross section of various organizations representing all parties involved. Possibly an assembly line to verify and double check the count just as the captains orders on a sub are repeated out loud over and over again down the line to eliminate the possibility of misinterpretation.

5) In this internet age all elections and especially the vote count should be recorded by video cameras like paparazzi to create an overwhelming sense of witness. These proceeding should be fed over the TV/internet locally or nationally or anyway available. Anyone should be encouraged to record the events in the same way courtrooms used to be off limits to the camera. I got to see OJs trial. I'd rather they pay more attention to this kind of thing. And maybe take it that seriously. Maybe they should sell tickets so an audience could be present to watch. If people can be quiet and respectful of golfers and tennis players then why not our election system.

Thats all I've got for now. What say you?

nate895
02-15-2008, 10:09 PM
I like the current system we have, except for go paper ballots and make it really transparent. Count the votes in a public forum and announce results officially there.

gutteck
02-15-2008, 10:17 PM
I believe this system we have is wrong. Very wrong. I think it should be a priority to add it to this cause we are fighting for as well. I remember being taught in grade school the basics of our "representative democracy". It didn't seem right to me then and it doesn't seem right now. In fact they told us flat out, "Our founding fathers didn't believe that the general public was capable of actually deciding who should be president.:mad:

Maybe thats why I never voted.

I find myself tossing around at night trying to come up with a way to make the election system fair and accurate. This is my basic idea:

1) First of all, it should be a 100% popular vote. Anyone who is high ranking should have a vote that counts as one. Just like you, me, and the president. Super delegates! Bull s%$#!

2) I do not believe anyone should be asked what party they belong to. It doesn't matter and its none of their business.

3) Paper ballots only. For everyone, in all states. Period. That should never change, ever! No matter how advanced technology gets. I believe any discrepancies in an election should be attributed to human error and nothing else.

4) Counting votes is a joke as it stands. This should be treated as a sacred and potentially treasonous subject. There should be an iron clad order of events from the beginning to the end where the ballots never leave plain sight and are counted in plain view of everyone and verified by a cross section of various organizations representing all parties involved. Possibly an assembly line to verify and double check the count just as the captains orders on a sub are repeated out loud over and over again down the line to eliminate the possibility of misinterpretation.

5) In this internet age all elections and especially the vote count should be recorded by video cameras like paparazzi to create an overwhelming sense of witness. These proceeding should be fed over the TV/internet locally or nationally or anyway available. Anyone should be encouraged to record the events in the same way courtrooms used to be off limits to the camera. I got to see OJs trial. I'd rather they pay more attention to this kind of thing. And maybe take it that seriously. Maybe they should sell tickets so an audience could be present to watch. If people can be quiet and respectful of golfers and tennis players then why not our election system.

Thats all I've got for now. What say you?

I have a better idea:

Ballots are mailed to families with a prepaid envelop. Then families mail back the ballots and a local public communication publishes which candidate each family voted for at a local level. And the results of the election at local level, county level, state level, and national.

Then pass some laws that make vote fraud punishable by 35 years and a fine of $100,000.

Create an independent and trustable organization that investigates allegations of vote fraud.

Pass laws that require media networks to give exact coverage counted in minutes to each candidate. And fine networks with $10,000,000 each minute a candidate is given more coverage counted at the end of the election.

nate895
02-15-2008, 10:18 PM
I have a better idea:

Ballots are mailed to families with a prepaid envelop. Then families mail back the ballots and a local public communication publishes which candidate each family voted for at a local level. And the results of the election at local level, county level, state level, and national.

Then pass some laws that make vote fraud punishable by 35 years and a fine of $100,000.

Create an independent and trustable organization that investigates allegations of vote fraud.

Pass laws that require media networks to give exact coverage counted in minutes to each candidate. And fine networks with $10,000,000 each minute a candidate is given more coverage counted at the end of the election.

That is bad because then others know your vote. You shouldn't have to tell other people you're a flaming communist.

gutteck
02-15-2008, 10:23 PM
That is bad because then others know your vote. You shouldn't have to tell other people you're a flaming communist.

It wouldn’t be like: The Smiths voted for: Candidate1
Families or individuals are given a code for that election that comes along with the ballot.
And for example it will say:
D3SRTTY10229: Candiadet1

Only the one that voted under D3SRTTY10229 would know that his vote was counted.

nate895
02-15-2008, 10:28 PM
It wouldn’t be like: The Smiths voted for: Candidate1
Families or individuals are given a code for that election that comes along with the ballot.
And for example it will say:
D3SRTTY10229: Candiadet1

Only the one that voted under D3SRTTY10229 would know that his vote was counted.

OK, that sounds like a good idea.

tondog4paul
02-16-2008, 10:12 AM
Ballots are mailed...

Right there is where a whole new area of fraud and corruption cold be invited. It needs to be done in front of witnesses from beginning to end. Not to mention the possibility of mail being lost or misplaced, accidentally or intentionally. Bad, bad idea to me.

Good idea, but I don't think even the death penalty would stop people from trying. The stakes in this are so high. People kill for less.