PDA

View Full Version : My report from Ames

daveweigel
08-13-2007, 07:33 PM
Hey, I'm Dave Weigel of Reason magazine. I've been reading the forums for a few months as I've been writing more and more regularly about the Paul campaign. I spent all Saturday at the Iowa Straw Poll and filed a long piece for the website, but I've gotten two complaints about it: one from someone who wasn't there and thought I was selling the campaign short, one from someone who was there and thought I made the Paul fans look unserious or kooky.

There's nothing in the story that I didn't see with my own two eyes, but I'm aware that I don't quite understand Ron's base. I understand some of the people I meet at events (and I go to all of them in D.C.) but I want to understand them better. So I've posted the article below and I'd like to hear if you think there's anything I'm missing, anything I should look out for as the grassroots side of the campaign keeps growing, etc.

http://reason.com/news/show/121895.html

AMES, IOWA – It has been said before and I will say it now: the Romneys are one good-looking family. The enormous stage they’ve rented for the Ames Straw Poll is large enough to fit the whole clan and a small cover band as Father Mitt delivers a gauzy speech about the joys of the Hawkeye State. After he wraps up, the Romneys sidle off the stage to take photos with eager young Republicans, sign T-Shirts, and respond to friendly questions with even friendlier answers. Then the video cameras pick up an awful din.

“Ron PAUL! Ron PAUL! Ron PAUL!”

Ten steps away a phalanx of people with Ron Paul signs and T-shirts are clattering and yelling, disrupting the Romney tableau. Like a gun’s gone off, a gang of Romney kids in blue T-shirts sprint over to hoist their own signs and yell slogans, chasing the Paulites back to their tents. They’re confronted by a counter-chant.

“We’re NOT paid volunteers! We’re NOT paid volunteers!”

Clumsy, but it stings a little. The Romney volunteers crumple like Abercrombie and Fitch models who’ve been told the photo shoots are cancelled. They fade away and the Paul fans laugh.

“Well, they know when to shut up.”

Somebody asks where the 30-odd Paul people just came from.

“Inside the Romney camp,” says the megaphone-toting Brian Costin. “Into the belly of the beast.”

Supporters of Ron Paul entered the grounds of Iowa State University with modest expectations. It costs $35 for a ticket that allows you to cast a vote, a clear advantage for this campaign, which happens to have the most money to spend. Everybody knows that Mitt Romney will win, although no one knows by how much. (There are rumors that he’s spent $5 million, that he has a block of 20,000 tickets, that he’s using the Philosopher’s Stone to bring back Lord Voldemort.) But lots of the people in and around the Paul tent expect to pull a strong second, at least.

“There’s a lot of anti-war sentiment in this state,” said Wisconsinite Keith McBreyer, leaning back in a folding chair inside Paul’s main tent. “The Paul campaign got going kind of late… you didn’t see much organizing until May. I didn’t, anyway. But if Paul can’t win here he can’t win anywhere else.”

Paul’s campaign staff, looking incongruous in slacks and ties and dropping buckets of sweat, admitted that they didn’t game out the Straw Poll or do the voter-targeting and ticket-buying that the leading campaigns have. (The campaign told me in June that they weren’t “trying to buy it like some people.”) They spent rather modestly on their tents, booked a DJ and a band, and bought hot dogs and popcorn to compete with the pulled-pork barbeque, baked beans and pasta salad of the Romney and Brownback shindigs. At the last minute the campaign bought 800 voting tickets which slowly found takers as the day went on. “We didn’t make that decision until around 10 days ago,” a Paul campaign staffer said.

As a result, the Paul camp is a mish-mash of official efforts and grassroots activism that’s often hard to tell apart. In the last week the Paul campaign launched a rough-edged TV ad that focused, more than the candidate has in the debates, on his social conservatism. And in the last 24 hours before the poll a group of Paul supporters bought a full-page ad in the Ames Tribune: dubbed the “Ron Paul Mosiac”, it creates a portrait of the candidate from snapshots of hundreds of supporters. It looks slick, but it’s about a movement, not a message. It doesn’t mention abortion, for example. In his TV ad and in a 2 p.m. speech to the straw poll, Paul hones in on the “sanctity of life.” His call for the repeal of Roe vs. Wade gets as much applause as his more familiar call to repeal the Sixteenth Amendment.

“I think that’s part of the freedom message,” Paul told me. “You always want to broaden the base, and in this area, in this state, you want to appeal to social conservatives without sacrificing any principles.”

The tent wasn’t exactly brimming with social conservatives. Most of the people who’d showed up and marched around the university grounds—more than three thousand, all told—are youngish, under 40, some old enough to have kids, and some still approaching their 20s. And as Garance Franke-Ruta found, yes, some of them were kooky. One volunteer trotted around in a Eddie Munster outfit—black shorts, white shirt, red bow tie—handing out pamphlets. Another arrived from voting and opened a laptop to blog at the neo-Nazi website Stormfront.org.

But this was, let’s remember, a Republican straw poll, and kooks flowed through the fairgrounds like water. Walk a few paces and witness a strangely silent family of Aryans hand out Alan Keyes literature, walk a little further and listen to an Elvis impersonator rewrite some of the great man’s gold records with new lyrics about California Rep. Duncan Hunter (“I dream of Duncan Hunter every night/Duncan Hunter’s policies will make it right”).

None of them mattered; none pissed in the collective punchbowl quite like the Paul crowd. Still flush from the Romneycrash, they plotted a 12:30 p.m. march around the grounds. Anticipation started to boil. A few minutes from the march a middle-aged drummer boy (George Tremblay) and a flautist (John Weins) dressed up in pirate duds climbed a hill near the Paul tent and started playing Revolutionary War songs. The crowd started to gather around them, then built when Brian Costin pied-pipered more fans out of the tent with his megaphone. As they clustered, Chris King, a 14-year-old black kid from Pittsburgh, pumped his fist and jumped to psych them up.

“Join the REVOLUTION MARCH!” King screamed. He then panted, and recovered some energy. “Join the REVOLUTION MARCH!”

The crowd that marched out of the tent looked like something Breughel would sketch after downing some absinthe, Costin’s megaphone blasting chants as King hollered and the honor guard cycled through their war songs. Near the front a Nick Nolte lookalike named Fred Smart—a leader of VoteInSunshine, the group that challenged the Straw Poll’s voting system—screamed himself purple. The march wound through the entire fairgrounds as lunch-munching Republicans gawked, obviously bemused. They smiled, and when they sighted a peace flag (an American flag with the stars replaced by a peace sign), they sneered.

“That’s a weird flag,” heckled a proud frat boy in a Team Romney shirt. “What country is that from? I don’t think I know that country.” He smirked and looked around for someone to high-five; seeing no one, he ambled away.

The march terminated at the entrance to the Hilton Coliseum where Mitt Romney’s masses were starting to flow in for his speech. Here were the fruits of Romney’s multi-million dollar Straw Poll campaign: Dozens of buses had brought in thousands of eldery voters, beer-bellied Korea vets and bird-like old ladies grabbing onto volunteers’ biceps to keep their balance. Joined by healthy newlyweds and Norman Rockwell-painted Republican couples, they tried to duck the din of the Ron Paul Mosh. The Paul mobs sang and hooted and shook their signs and yelled out at the Romney voters.

“For your children!” one of them pleaded of a couple walking in with a baby carriage. Think about your children! Your babies!”

The mosh moshed on for a half hour, diverting the traffic of Romney, Brownback and Tancredo golf carts, until the crowd was allowed into the Hilton auditorium. The chairs in front of the main stage were emptied out and refilled every time one speaker stopped and another prepped for his big event. The friendless Jon Cox gave his stemwinder to rows and rows of empty seats as the Paul mobs clamored outside. When they were let in, Tremblay and Weins led the way, blasting “Yankee Doodle Dandy,” echoing like crazy—when the whole mob arrived they drowned out moderator Laura Ingraham.

“Do you want to hear the introduction?” she said. But she wasn’t confrontational the way mainstream Republicans sometimes are with the Paul voters who work the phones into their radio shows. Ingraham plugged Paul’s legislation to put a bounty on Osama bin Laden and let bounty hunters do the rest. “Who wants to take up Ron Paul’s offer and hunt down Osama bin Laden?”

There’s a weird sort of respect for the Paulites in some corners of the event. One brand of thinking was that Paul’s support was all online vapor, strange mutants from the Internet who couldn’t muster a crowd. But Paul’s crowd is enormous.

“That’s the only story so far,” one reporter told me during the dull-ish candidate speeches. “The presence of the Ron Paul people.”

And then he asked me: “Have you met any of them from Iowa?”

And that is the reason Paul’s people were able to generate so much light and heat and yet enter the poll with such pessimism. Volunteer after volunteer was from outside Iowa. And only Iowans could cast a vote in the poll. Campaign staff estimated that only half of the people milling around their tent were eligible voters and that 1000 votes would be a decent haul. Not winning, but decent.

Some of the campaign’s vote-card success was the work of grassroots supporters. As campaign staff handed out the 800 tickets they had purchased—some already reserved for voters, some picked up on the stop—Internet supporters like Jeremie Bellenir handed out their own tickets. Bellenir was part of the “Adopt an Iowan” plot launched on the web, where Paul fans earmarked thousands of bucks in donations to pay for Straw Poll votes. But in the late afternoon, with voting 80, 90 minutes away from closing, Bellenir still had tickets to give away. There hadn’t been enough work done connecting the tickets with sure-thing voters.

At four o’clock some Paul volunteers came up with a solution, the doomed nature of which epitomized their problems. Rumors were swirling about a new fleet of buses arriving in the parking lot. Paul people were going to go and try to practice emergency baptisms as new voters shuttled in. The candidate himself would make a speech if the evangelists could bring them down to the tent.

It was a stillborn effort. The busses were actually there to pick up Romney’s legions, fresh from voting, tuckered out, and ready to plan their next rounds of Florida condo-hunting. The Paul people mosied back, dejected, as the rest of the campaigns packed up their white tents, giant fans, and bouncy castles. Some of them walked around with signs and some of them stretched their scorched bodies in the shade.

Richard Green of U.S. Christians for Truth lounged in one chair chatting with Paul people on the way out of the parking lots. Earlier in the day he’d handed out a flier from his mystery-cloaked, possibly-phony group (no address, no phone number) savaging the “Mormon cult values” of Mitt Romney and warning Republicans not to vote for any candidate who’d had multiple marriages or an affair. Only if the party nominates a candidate who’s remained faithful to his first wife (and doesn’t wear “special” underwear) can they attack the Clintons from the high moral ground. Green voted for Paul.

“If Ron Paul is elected a lot of things will change in this country,” he said. “But I hope [former Arkansas Gov. Mike] Huckabee doesn’t get knocked out today. I would have voted for him if I thought he needed it.”

He didn't need to worry, and in any case the Paul people have gotten over the bus debacle. They prepped for one last victory: dominating the Hilton main hall. Hummer-sized “Hope for America” signs were hauled into the room and pasted on the far walls. Brownback and Huckabee fans had already crowded the front of the room but the Paul crowds dwarfed them, eventually making up half of the space. There was no support for Romney or the Straw Poll-boycotting Giuliani and McCain: It all looked a bit like the victory platforms at the 1980 Olympics.

There was nothing left to plan, or to forget to plan: The Paul people were going to savor this. During a 90-minute delay in the vote count, thanks to those electronic machines the Vote in Sunshine crowd were angsting about, they started singing “The Star-Spangled Banner” and some of the other campaigns’ boosters joined in. Then the votes came in. John McCain scored barely 100 votes and got Wicked-Witch-is-Dead belly laughs. There was a huge cheer when Giuliani placed seventh and a bigger cheer when Tommy Thompson chimed in sixth. Thompson had promised to quit the race if he bombed that badly, and now there’ll be three or four more minutes of TV-debate time for Dr. Paul.

And in fifth place: Ron Paul. The Paul crowd went wild. They overlooked the smaller cheers for Tancredo’s fourth place finish and the loud cheers—from a smaller crowd than theirs—when Mike Huckabee won second place. Precious little excitement was left for when Romney won it all and his gleaming Bryl-creamed visage materialized on the giant screams. He was expected to win this the moment Rudy dropped out. The story of the day was Huckabee.

Some of the Paul people were disappointed—none of them were crushed. The truly happy supporters were the Vote in Sunshine guys, who clustered in the middle of the room in front of the camera risers and excitedly chatted about the strategizing ahead. I pulled Fred Smart aside to ask him if he was disappointed in a fifth place showing. “I think you can see that Ron Paul has the momentum,” he said. He left and the rest of his group returned to buzzing about drivers’ licenses that didn’t scan, riggable voting machines, and mysterious computer delays.

That was in front of the cameras risers. Right behind them, a few steps away, the beaming Mike Huckabee had arrived into a five-man deep reporter scrum. He smiled into an array of cameras, boom mics and tiny Olympus recorders. “For all intents and purposes, we won the Straw Poll,” he said, credibly. Meanwhile the fraud-watchers, all of them Ron Paul voters, were bragging about how they’d stood out in the sun verifying votes.

There wasn’t a better symbol of how the Paul campaign fell short in Ames. An anti-war Republican campaign was never going to win the straw poll outright. Measure the applause Paul got for saying “I stand for liberty, the Constitution, and peace” against what Tom Tancredo got for saying his foreign policy is “We win, you lose.” One sounded like a big outdoor bar welcoming the J. Geils Band. The other sounded like U2 at Madison Square Garden.

Still, there were more than 1,300 Iowans who could potentially back Paul. This is a state with zero tradition of third-party voting (it gave 3,000 votes to Libertarian Party candidate Michael Badnarik in 2004). Eleven years ago the state would have given its caucus to Pat Buchanan if a few thousand Alan Keyes diehards had switched their votes to Pitchfork Pat.

The Paul Straw Poll efforts couldn’t match any of that, resembling at times some of Howard Dean’s botched gambits in the 2004 Iowa Caucus, when clueless undergraduate volunteers stood out in the cold and waved signs for an event for which people didn’t even drive to polling places.

But Paul’s campaign isn’t comparable to that because, unlike Dean’s, it’s not positioned to win a nomination. There are people who sign up for “the Revolution” fully aware they aren’t electing a president. Paul’s shifting focus onto social issues or his stabs at real ground organizing don’t matter to these voters. They’re looking for a social network and a traveling carnival, and some chances to wave the middle finger at reporters or the rest of the Republican Party.

This is counterproductive, it’s silly, and it’s easily laughed off by the leading Republican campaigns. It’s also the most fun these people have had in years. That was obvious on Saturday. And it was also obvious that unless the Paul campaign is headed for a few more headlines than a flameout, the shambolic synergy of the grassroots and the official campaign is going to have to coalesce into something serious.

That was crystal clear after the auditorium emptied out and the winning candidates spoke to the media. In front of his campaign bus and flanked by his wife and sons, Mitt Romney gloated about the victory he’d more or less bought, and photographers snapped pictures for Sunday’s front pages. A few steps away you could see a sign that had been hoisted by various Paul people then taped to a lamppost in front of his busy tent: “Ron Paul: 1st Place Winner in Every Debate Poll.” It was broken in half and sitting next to a trash can.

hard@work
08-13-2007, 07:47 PM
Very negative article, and in poor taste. I could see this having had the potential of being an objective and productive commentary for sure, perhaps even toning down these people whom you so clearly find yourself in disgust of. The problem I have with it, stepping out of my support for Dr. Paul, is that it is clearly rife with personal emotion.

I wish it wasn't it would have been good.

03/10

Psyclone
08-13-2007, 07:47 PM
Wow! What a great article! I think you captured the spirit of the Ron Paul crowd better than anything else I've read. The only part I didn't understand was:
"when clueless undergraduate volunteers stood out in the cold and waved signs for an event for which people didn’t even drive to polling places" Ummm, what does that mean?

stevedasbach
08-13-2007, 07:48 PM
I thought your article was reasonably fair until the very end:

But Paul’s campaign isn’t comparable to that because, unlike Dean’s, it’s not positioned to win a nomination. There are people who sign up for “the Revolution” fully aware they aren’t electing a president. Paul’s shifting focus onto social issues or his stabs at real ground organizing don’t matter to these voters. They’re looking for a social network and a traveling carnival, and some chances to wave the middle finger at reporters or the rest of the Republican Party.

This is counterproductive, it’s silly, and it’s easily laughed off by the leading Republican campaigns. It’s also the most fun these people have had in years. That was obvious on Saturday. And it was also obvious that unless the Paul campaign is headed for a few more headlines than a flameout, the shambolic synergy of the grassroots and the official campaign is going to have to coalesce into something serious.

I wasn't in Iowa but I've participated in this forum for several weeks, attended the rally in South Carolina, and watched several events (including the straw poll) online. If you think we aren't trying to elect a president (however long the odds), are just "looking for social networking and a traveling carnival", or "some chances to wave the middle finger at reporters or the rest of the Republican Party", you are, IMO, mistaken.

We are doing whatever we can, in the face of (until recently) a near media blackout, to take back our government before the flow of money and power to Washington becomes completely unstoppable.

DeadheadForPaul
08-13-2007, 07:50 PM
I disagree with the guy who said "if we cant win in Iowa, we cant win anywhere". I think we have MUCH better chances in places like New Hampshire, Texas, and Georgia

ChrisM
08-13-2007, 07:51 PM
That was quite a piece... I don't really know what to say. From a journalistic and objective point-of-view, that was amazing. I think it was biased a little bit against Dr. Paul and his supporters, but I wouldn't call it unfair necessarily.

Great piece.

jjockers
08-13-2007, 07:52 PM
I second stevedasbach's remarks.

Hamburglar
08-13-2007, 08:00 PM
“We’re NOT paid volunteers! We’re NOT paid volunteers!”
The chant was: "we're not paid staff"

kylejack
08-13-2007, 08:11 PM
I found the article to be excellent. Ron Paul's supporters are trying to elect a President, but we face a problem of dynamics: grassroots support is plenty passionate but lacks direction and focus. Many Ron Paul supporters are doing various different things to get him elected, but what is lacked is a cohesive strategy, and this was never more apparent than in the failure to connect tickets with straw poll voters.

CJLauderdale4
08-13-2007, 08:12 PM
I think your point was made several times on this forum, and that is that Ron Paul's campaign is bringing in support from ALL types of people. Sometimes the actions of people are having positive affects, and sometimes they are having negative affects, depending on the people we are talking about. For instance, in this forum we've discussed the "9/11 Truther" movement so much, and how they shouldn't be directly affiliated to Ron.

However, I'm not sure you made this point clear to the reader. Sure their is a gap between the grassroots and the formal campaign org, but that is the beauty of the Ron Paul Revolution. I'm sure the majority of the people you saw acting, what you might feel, in a negative manner, HAVE NEVER PARTICIPATED IN POLITICS, EVER!

So, most fair articles on Ron typically point out that Ron Paul is truly a wild card because no one truly knows who out of the 50% of non-voting voters from past elections may just show up and vote for Ron Paul.

You're article truly missed that altogether. Other than that, it was a great piece.

Spirit of '76
08-13-2007, 08:14 PM
I was with you until about six paragraphs from the end, and then it took a major downturn. What an incorrect analysis of what for all intents and purposes is a campaign that is just beginning to take off.

By the way, a person who plays a fife is called a "fifer", and he wasn't wearing "pirate duds".

Nor did Ron Paul say, “I stand for liberty, the Constitution, and peace”. What he said was, "Our campaign is about freedom, prosperity, and peace."

sylvania
08-13-2007, 08:15 PM
Did you intend for this article to be objective and journalistic? If that is the case you failed.

All you have to do is look at your adverbs and adjectives. Are they riddled with overly emotional tones? Yes. Are they objectively rendered? No.

American
08-13-2007, 08:31 PM
I thought the article was ok

I think we will have problems finding new support is we act like people at a toga party. I have seen it in the local meetup groups, and in the Iowa straw poll. I thought it was a great turn out but I think some kind of organization plan for supports would be good idea. Fliers, hand outs something that gives people i direction to go in while there there. Maybe even a game plan meeting before these kinds of events takes place.

Like it or not people stereotype and as a conservative, if I see someone with a dead head shirt on yelling and screaming I really dont care what he has to say. I know this is about the people and the message of liberty but I think to some extent we also need to cater to the majority for new support. I mean right now this is about Ron Paul, and his message.

just food for thought i guess.

ChicagoLawyer
08-13-2007, 08:34 PM
Hey guys, I think I was one of the ones who emailed David about the straw poll. David, I really appreciate you coming in here and asking for comments. Everyone else, David has performed, in my opinion, by far some of the best reporting on Ron Paul this election season so don't jump on him for just a few paragraphs you may disagree with. Tell him what you think but don't hurl abuse at him by accusing him of anti-Ron Paul bias.

tmg19103
08-13-2007, 08:40 PM
It's hard for me to judge the article since I was not at Ames, but it certainly strikes me more as op-ed rather than fair and objective journalism, but then it might well have been meant as an opinion piece. I can only guess that is the case as the article is littered with the authors opinions and hyperbole (and not all is pointed at Ron Paul or his supporters to be fair, though it is certainly biased in that direction).

The article has an air of distaste, as would be expected from a Libertarian point of view, of the shallowness of the whole process. That is where the author may well agree with the Ron Paul supporters. I do sense a glee from the author in how he denegrates those who support their candidates in general - not just the Ron Paul supporters.

As a Ron Paul supporter, I can only agree that our political system is a corrupt joke, that no one candidate can change it, but at least Ron paul wants to try.

Also, from what I saw on video from Ames, I would say that considering the conservative nature of Iowa voters, that supporters of Ron Paul need to be careful of being to over-the-top in their support of Ron Paul.

Mike Huckabee's supporters, who were fewer on stage than Ron Paul supporters, had a humble "I like Mike" chant. While just about everybody had probably decided by that point who they were going to vote for, I think Ron Paul supporters need to better understand their audience. Huckabee came out of nowhere with his humble, pastor approach. That, in my mind, played better with the conservative and religious Iowa crowd than what they probably perceived as overly boisterous (and perhaps rude) Ron Paul supporters.

As Ron Paul supporters, as we move onto new states, I believe we need to learn to better tailor our message to those who will actually be casting the vote.

wbbgjr
08-13-2007, 09:08 PM
This was a good article until you started accusing Ron Paul supporters of using this campaign as a social gathering.

We are passionate because we believe in the message. Ron Paul is substance. Guiliani, Romney, Clinton, and Obama are all fluff and patronizing patriotic rhetoric.

I understand how you might misconstrue Ron Paul supporters as rabid, but if you spend a little more time with us you'll realize we're not insane and that our passions are well-grounded to be with the one honest and intelligent politician.

jasonhlasvegas
08-13-2007, 09:19 PM
None of them mattered; none pissed in the collective punchbowl quite like the Paul crowd.

I thought this was a great line though.

American
08-13-2007, 09:26 PM
Well as a salesmen, you only have maybe 10 to 20 seconds top's to get anyones attention. They will judge you and make a decision about how they feel towards you. Then you are going uphill and thats very hard to recover from.

Again I think the energy is awesome and I dont think that needs to stop but directed in a way that will help the campaign. But I'm a salesmen, and do this everyday for a living. Its much easier to talk yourself out of a deal then it is to talk yourself into one.

I know his message is pretty powerful, I have also cauight myself getting almost emotional talking about him as a politican. But it serves no positive purpose for Ron Paul.

just my 2 cents

TeeJay
08-13-2007, 09:28 PM
This article is just one more attempt to paint Ron Paul as the "wacky" candidate with "kooky" supporters.

No doubt there was plenty to see at the Straw Poll. I am sure there were many well behaved and also many poorly behaved Ron Paul supporters to be seen. The author chose to focus on the the Ron Paul supporters behaving poorly.

Ingraham plugged Paul’s legislation to put a bounty on Osama bin Laden and let bounty hunters do the rest. “Who wants to take up Ron Paul’s offer and hunt down Osama bin Laden?”

This was hardly a plug but was clearly ridicule. In addition no mention was made of her previous derogatory comment. "The inmates have left the asylum" in reference to the Ron Paul supporters.

Ron Paul is attracting young people to his campaign and to the Republican party in a way that is unprecedented. You would think the Republican base would welcome all these young people to their party which has frankly grown quite stale. It is not surprising that these young people being new to politics are sometimes overly exuberant.

Ron Paul: 1st Place Winner in Every Debate Poll.” It was broken in half and sitting next to a trash can.

On obvious metaphor for where this author thinks the campaign is heading.

Of course, I do not doubt that everything reported is entirely true. That is not the point. To concentrate on the bad, while ignoring the good, and also ignoring the glaring nationally televised poor behavior of Laura Ingram could hardly be characterized as fair and balanced.

I have no respect for Dave Weigel.

Syren123
08-13-2007, 09:33 PM
Your take on the event is your own so there's no point in criticism there.

Your assertion that the Ron Paul voluteers are there for fun and social networking and aren't working to win is not accurate. There may be some who merely out to make a statement, but everyone I know who is putting their own time and money into the campaign is working TO WIN.

FYI, the Vote in Sunshine people are not working only for Ron Paul. They're working for the integrity of EVERY vote in America, including YOURS so lose the superior dismissive attitude.

Syren123
08-13-2007, 09:41 PM
None of them mattered; none pissed in the collective punchbowl quite like the Paul crowd.

Pissing in the punchbowl is usually a party killer....yet even your own account of the Ron Paul folks was that they were the LIFE of the party.

So the Aryan nation guys, the knuckle-dragger frat boy, the Elvis impersonator...they weren't kooks. But hundreds of people who drove from all over the country on their own nickel and took it upon themselves to produce tshirts, banners, signs, flyers, and newspaper ads - UNPAID - are.

Go figure.

disinter
08-13-2007, 09:44 PM
Another reason I don't read "Reason".

emilysdad
08-13-2007, 09:47 PM
Sorry Dave, you get no kudos from me.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Congressman Paul running for President?

Yet, you chose to write an article about his supporters. I wasn't there, but based on a day spent infront of C-span and JustinTv, I suspect if one wanted to find fanatical supporters of the other candidates as the basis of a presidential campaign article, one could have found those as well.

Maybe, you can sway me into an adoring fan if you ever decide to write an informative article on the merits of Dr. Paul.

And....just in case you don't get out much, this country is full of nutty individuals based on one's own perceptions of what nutty is, but then again, I was under the impression that is something the good doctor stands for. You know, the right to be nutty if one is so inclined.

TexMac
08-13-2007, 09:53 PM
I'm impressed that you did this, Dave. It's cool that you went to Iowa to write a first-hand account. The only thing I disagreed about was this

And in the last 24 hours before the poll a group of Paul supporters bought a full-page ad in the Ames Tribune: dubbed the “Ron Paul Mosiac” (http://ronpaulmosaic.com/), it creates a portrait of the candidate from snapshots of hundreds of supporters. It looks slick, but it’s about a movement, not a message
Well, the whole point was to show that RP has REAL, HUMAN supporters. That wasn't even abut Iowa, really. It was for everyone who pretends we don't exist.

PatriotOne
08-13-2007, 09:56 PM
I had seen your article earlier Dave and really enjoyed it for the most part. I had a good laugh several times. Trying to get a handle on Ron Pauls support base and why we support Ron Paul would be a very difficult task indeed. I don't think we could be summed up in a paragraph or even 100 paragraphs. We are such a diverse crowd and our "reasons" have more varieties than Baskin and Robbin's ice cream has flavors.

From my viewpoint, the one place we all seem to converge is Ron Paul's philosophy of limited Government and getting back to the Constitution as our government's rule of law. It seems that it would solve all the different issues most of us have. In other words, Big Government is the problem that ails us all.

As interesting of a group his supporters can be, getting a handle on us is impossible and I understand the lure it would be to write about some of the more colorful of us. But our color comes from being educated by sources other than the pablum spoon-fed to us by MSM. I can honestly say that Ron Paul supporters are the most educated bunch you will probably ever run across. If you sat down with most Ron Paul supporters, they could probably go on for hours telling you why they support him and what his philosophy is. If you sat down with the average, say, Rudy, supporter, you'd be lucky to have a 5 second response saying "Fox News says he is the hero of 9/11". Which those of us who have researched Rudy know he was no hero, he was just a convenient poster boy who took advantage of being the mayor of a city on 9/11. We know who Ron Paul is, we know what his philosophy is, and we know he means what he says because he has been consistent throughout his career. He's not pandering to anybody!

Do yourself a favor and research him in depth. His wisdom is priceless and cuts through the rhetoric that the empty suits constantly blather on about. Ron Paul gets to the root of the problems, not just offer band-aids for gapeing wounds. Of course Ron Paul runs into plenty of resistance by his fellow politicians, our Government wants to maintain their power over the people that they have gained over the decades. Do you remember a time when Congress represented the will of the people? They worked for us! Somehow they have become rulers and dictate now and seem to only have allegiance to their lobbyists and special interest groups and Corporations and the Global organizations. We, the people, don't seem to really matter anymore. They are too busy with their global agenda to care about America now. We could care less about their Global agenda and policing of the world and protecting their global interest (oil for example), and yet we are forced to pay for thier nation building with our taxes. Anyways, I could go on forever, but Ron Paul is much more eloquent than I!

Here is a good site to begin researching Ron Paul. I look forward to an in-depth article from you.

htttp://www.lewrockwell.com/paul/

TexMac
08-13-2007, 09:56 PM
Um, everyone, remember when we just wanted to get RP mentioned?

alaric
08-13-2007, 09:57 PM
I disagree with the guy who said "if we cant win in Iowa, we cant win anywhere". I think we have MUCH better chances in places like New Hampshire, Texas, and Georgia

yes, and we won't have to deal with the diebolt vote-rigging machines there, either. i liken the 30 paul supporters on the romney bus to the soldiers in the trojan horse. and remember, THEY WON!:D

Roxi
08-13-2007, 10:31 PM
first thanks for caring enough to ask for our opinions. I enjoyed most of the article and it was well written.. there were a few things you have wrong some of them already mentioned in above replies. here are a few i also caught

Like a gun’s gone off, a gang of Romney kids in blue T-shirts sprint over to hoist their own signs and yell slogans, chasing the Paulites back to their tents. They’re confronted by a counter-chant.

this makes it sound like when the romney kids started chanting we would leave which is the opposite.. anytime the romney kids were chanting and we would overpower them with less people they would all leave and then drive by in golf carts trying to drown us out in honks which rarely worked

As they clustered, Chris King, a 14-year-old black kid from Pittsburgh, pumped his fist and jumped to psych them up.

why does it matter that he's black, it shouldn't be mentioned

“That’s a weird flag,” heckled a proud frat boy in a Team Romney shirt. “What country is that from? I don’t think I know that country.” He smirked and looked around for someone to high-five; seeing no one, he ambled away.

this is actually awesome, it really helps portray how "children of the corn" these romney kids were... they were yelling vote war at one point of the day and i nearly got sick

this i take personal offense to, I spent A LOT of money and A LOT of sweat and spent nearly 3 days sleeping in car to travel several hundred miles to be here. I also worked my butt off all day and lugged around a heavy case in the 100 degree weather and walked around 10 miles saturday. It was also the most fun ive had in a while and Im home now, exhausted, sun burned and sore as hell. I will work this hard every day for free to get RP elected because I have a 5 year old counting on me to help change this country so she can still graduate high school in america.

JMHO

BLS
08-13-2007, 10:59 PM
Ok....BLS rant going off.

Look Jackson, I was in Iowa...All day long.

And while I might be a bit biased (OK, completely), your writing reeks of a someone who is either A) A democrat, or B) a very unhappy, pessimistic person.

In either case, enjoy your life.

I have neither the time nor the ambition to try to get you to understand anything about Ron Paul. Some people clearly just believe they are more intelligent than they are. I happend to believe you are one of them.

I sincerely wish I could live in a fallacy world such as yours.
But I've got more important things to do....such as taking back my country.

Take your jibberish elsewhere.

PS - I want my 5 minutes back.....

austinphish
08-14-2007, 06:01 AM
I just wanted to ditto Roxic's comments about the article and to thank everyone who made it to Iowa for their hard work. I am glad it was fun and the R3volution continues.

"Now this is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning. "
Sir Winston Churchill, November 1942

MsDoodahs
08-14-2007, 07:23 AM
What disinter said.

rdenner
08-14-2007, 08:31 AM
Duplicate

rdenner
08-14-2007, 08:32 AM
I was on the ground in Ames from Thursday afternoon until after I got done in the Mosh Pit at the Coliseum. Though the author caught a lot of what was going on, I think he completely missed the beauty of the event.

I was there at the 6:00pm Thursday meeting along with 40 or 50 others. I was just a guy from Ohio along with dozens of other walk-in volunteers. Nothing was setup at this point; we didn't even have a tent.

All around us the sounds of hammers and workmen filled the air. No such luck on the Ron Paul train. We had to get it done ourselves. We all take on assignments according to our personal strengths. Security, Banner Waves, Talking Points with the Fair Tax people (my choice), and Abortion issues with Iowa Right to Life, etc.

We split up an hour later and met back at the grounds at 7:00am(I was a little late arriving at 8:30). The crowd had grown a little, we had about 60 or 70 by then. Putting ALL OF THOSE SIGNS YOU SAW TOGETHER. Still no national HQ people there, no one really telling us what to do. The Iowa meetup people were wonderful. No one shouting, no one being a typical leadership a-hole. People just working and enjoying.

STILL NO TENT at noon Friday. Signs are going into the ground and it's starting to take shape. We head downtown to get RonStock setup. We plaster the campus with homemade flyers (also paid by a volunteer). Come back around 3:00 and FINALLY a tent (only thing we didn't setup). Tables get setup, chairs, STILL NO NATIONAL, it's being coordinated by the Iowa people. No professional setup people, just a bunch of people working together towards a common goal.

By 5:00 the tables are set, the signs are in the ground and people are starting to pour in at this point. The grannies are in town and setup has started on Ron Paul Radio. I get back to the bar and get a good spot.

At 6:00pm the bar is eerily empty and I start to worry that we might get embarrassed. I was at the tent and there didn't seem to be the "thousands" of supporters I had hoped. Maybe we are just an internet phantom, I wonder.

7:30 we are pretty much taking over the corner of downtown. Grannies have the RV parked out front, with a monkey peering out the window. Ron Paul Radio is live and broadcasting. I have been drinking a few to many beers and am having way to loud of an arguments about economics and Ludwig Von Misses. What kind of conversation is this for a bar?? But that it the life of a Ron Paul supporter. We are all kind of nerds in that way, in one way or another. Hundreds of strangers brought together by this man, Ron Paul. Yet no body was in charge, it was just spontaneously coordinating itself. It was a sight to behold.

8:00pm Ron Paul was supposed to be here by now. But people didn't mind as a very talented guy on a guitar was entertaining us all. It was VERY crowded at this point. The guy on stage says he wants to make an impromptu song, so throw out some ideas. I YELL FREEDOM!!! He comes up with a very funny song about freedom. I don't think he even knows who Ron Paul is to be honest. Wish I had run into later and asked if he listened to the speech.

8:30 Ron Paul shows up and gives a great speech (very short). We are loud and getting excited. There are tons of people here now. He leaves the stage and we start the typical "Ron Paul Ron Paul" chant. We change it to Mrs. Paul Mrs. Paul, and then 1st Lady 1st Lady. She comes back to the stage and gives us a few words. I really hope that didn't have any effect on her heart problems. Because it was stinking ass hot in that bar.

9:00 I stick around for a few more beers and head back to the tent, as I'm the midnight watchman for the tent. There are a dozen or so others still milling about the tent area. People are still coming in one at a time or in groups of 2 or 10. All looking for something to do. We tell them to come back bright and early and be ready to work.

9:30 to Daylight: I spent a HORRIBLE night sleeping outdoors in a sleeping bag. The 3rd shift security people (just some dudes from NJ), were up all night talking loud and I assume getting drunk, talking about economics and the war. Not the typical drunken talking subjects. Such are Ron Paul fans.

Daylight: Got about 1 1/2 hours sleep. Moved the car to the assigned area splashed some water on my face and changed my sweat soaked clothes. Didn't take me more than 15 minutes to start sweating again. More signs, getting the table clothes on and getting the literature together. Felt a little nervous knowing I was going to be at the tip of the sword. I was going to be engaging Fair Tax people one on one trying to get them to at least listen.

8:30: BAD NEWS. We get the news that Ron Paul's wife is in the hospital and the 9:00 speech he was supposed to give was canceled. WHICH SUCKS, because i had been telling a lot of non supporters that he'd be there. The 9:00 Fair Tax speech had been canceled and some of them had come over.

10:00 till maybe 12:30 I was hitting up the Fair Tax people trying to engage them in conversation. WOW, they are very receptive and even excited. They were very angry at Ron Paul because he wouldn't sign on to the FAIR tax. Well last week he finally did. When we let people know this, they were happy. Of course the Mitt, Brownback, Tancredo supporters we tried to talk to, almost leapt out of our way like we had leprosy or something. I actually go into the FAIR tax speech and find it very interesting. BUT LONG!!!! I wanted to get the hell out of there, but I had my RON PAUL T-shirt on. I didn't want to be seen walking out on the speakers, so there I sat.

1:30 I finally make it back to the tent to the sight of literally a thousand or more Ron Paul supporters ALL WORKING!! Shucking Corn, cooking dogs, making popcorn and Icees. I was so worried when I left that nothing would get done, because I wasn't there (very self centered thinking). But the place was just abuzz with volunteers all just chomping at the bit to work.

THIS WAS THE STORY OF AMES!!! And the author didn't even know it had existed. We were a thousand or more strangers with almost no direction. We put together a professional tent that was abuzz the entire day. Sure we didn't have Romney sized crowds, but there was always people coming and going.

Sure the marching and the chanting were all fine and dandy. But it was hundreds of almost unseen volunteers that were the real story here, and the author completely missed out on it. EVERYTHING IN THAT TENT WAS EITHER BOUGHT AND OR SETUP OR BOTH BY RON PAUL VOLUNTEERS.

WE WEREN'T PAID, should be the Ron Paul Theme from now on!!

Robert NW Ohio

Dustancostine
08-14-2007, 08:41 AM
Hey Robert, This is Dustan the guy that slept next to you on the ground. Nice to here you got home ok.

--Dustan

rdenner
08-14-2007, 08:44 AM
ROFL. Hopefully everyone will know we just "slept" on the ground in the same vicinity.. LOL

Yes I made it home and it was the longest drive of my life. I've never been that tired or hot in my entire 40 years of life. But God Dang it was fun!!

Hope your experience was as good as mine. We kind of lost track of each other that next day...

Good to talk to you. Keep in touch..

Robert

Roxi
08-14-2007, 08:53 AM
I was on the ground in Ames from Thursday afternoon until after I got done in the Mosh Pit at the Coliseum. Though the author caught a lot of what was going on, I think he completely missed the beauty of the event.

I was there at the 6:00pm Thursday meeting along with 40 or 50 others. I was just a guy from Ohio along with dozens of other walk-in volunteers. Nothing was setup at this point; we didn't even have a tent.

All around us the sounds of hammers and workmen filled the air. No such luck on the Ron Paul train. We had to get it done ourselves. We all take on assignments according to our personal strengths. Security, Banner Waves, Talking Points with the Fair Tax people (my choice), and Abortion issues with Iowa Right to Life, etc.

We split up an hour later and met back at the grounds at 7:00am(I was a little late arriving at 8:30). The crowd had grown a little, we had about 60 or 70 by then. Putting ALL OF THOSE SIGNS YOU SAW TOGETHER. Still no national HQ people there, no one really telling us what to do. The Iowa meetup people were wonderful. No one shouting, no one being a typical leadership a-hole. People just working and enjoying.

STILL NO TENT at noon Friday. Signs are going into the ground and it's starting to take shape. We head downtown to get RonStock setup. We plaster the campus with homemade flyers (also paid by a volunteer). Come back around 3:00 and FINALLY a tent (only thing we didn't setup). Tables get setup, chairs, STILL NO NATIONAL, it's being coordinated by the Iowa people. No professional setup people, just a bunch of people working together towards a common goal.

By 5:00 the tables are set, the signs are in the ground and people are starting to pour in at this point. The grannies are in town and setup has started on Ron Paul Radio. I get back to the bar and get a good spot.

At 6:00pm the bar is eerily empty and I start to worry that we might get embarrassed. I was at the tent and there didn't seem to be the "thousands" of supporters I had hoped. Maybe we are just an internet phantom, I wonder.

7:30 we are pretty much taking over the corner of downtown. Grannies have the RV parked out front, with a monkey peering out the window. Ron Paul Radio is live and broadcasting. I have been drinking a few to many beers and am having way to loud of an arguments about economics and Ludwig Von Misses. What kind of conversation is this for a bar?? But that it the life of a Ron Paul supporter. We are all kind of nerds in that way, in one way or another. Hundreds of strangers brought together by this man, Ron Paul. Yet no body was in charge, it was just spontaneously coordinating itself. It was a sight to behold.

8:00pm Ron Paul was supposed to be here by now. But people didn't mind as a very talented guy on a guitar was entertaining us all. It was VERY crowded at this point. The guy on stage says he wants to make an impromptu song, so throw out some ideas. I YELL FREEDOM!!! He comes up with a very funny song about freedom. I don't think he even knows who Ron Paul is to be honest. Wish I had run into later and asked if he listened to the speech.

8:30 Ron Paul shows up and gives a great speech (very short). We are loud and getting excited. There are tons of people here now. He leaves the stage and we start the typical "Ron Paul Ron Paul" chant. We change it to Mrs. Paul Mrs. Paul, and then 1st Lady 1st Lady. She comes back to the stage and gives us a few words. I really hope that didn't have any effect on her heart problems. Because it was stinking ass hot in that bar.

9:00 I stick around for a few more beers and head back to the tent, as I'm the midnight watchman for the tent. There are a dozen or so others still milling about the tent area. People are still coming in one at a time or in groups of 2 or 10. All looking for something to do. We tell them to come back bright and early and be ready to work.

9:30 to Daylight: I spent a HORRIBLE night sleeping outdoors in a sleeping bag. The 3rd shift security people (just some dudes from NJ), were up all night talking loud and I assume getting drunk, talking about economics and the war. Not the typical drunken talking subjects. Such are Ron Paul fans.

Daylight: Got about 1 1/2 hours sleep. Moved the car to the assigned area splashed some water on my face and changed my sweat soaked clothes. Didn't take me more than 15 minutes to start sweating again. More signs, getting the table clothes on and getting the literature together. Felt a little nervous knowing I was going to be at the tip of the sword. I was going to be engaging Fair Tax people one on one trying to get them to at least listen.

8:30: BAD NEWS. We get the news that Ron Paul's wife is in the hospital and the 9:00 speech he was supposed to give was canceled. WHICH SUCKS, because i had been telling a lot of non supporters that he'd be there. The 9:00 Fair Tax speech had been canceled and some of them had come over.

10:00 till maybe 12:30 I was hitting up the Fair Tax people trying to engage them in conversation. WOW, they are very receptive and even excited. They were very angry at Ron Paul because he wouldn't sign on to the FAIR tax. Well last week he finally did. When we let people know this, they were happy. Of course the Mitt, Brownback, Tancredo supporters we tried to talk to, almost leapt out of our way like we had leprosy or something. I actually go into the FAIR tax speech and find it very interesting. BUT LONG!!!! I wanted to get the hell out of there, but I had my RON PAUL T-shirt on. I didn't want to be seen walking out on the speakers, so there I sat.

1:30 I finally make it back to the tent to the sight of literally a thousand or more Ron Paul supporters ALL WORKING!! Shucking Corn, cooking dogs, making popcorn and Icees. I was so worried when I left that nothing would get done, because I wasn't there (very self centered thinking). But the place was just abuzz with volunteers all just chomping at the bit to work.

THIS WAS THE STORY OF AMES!!! And the author didn't even know it had existed. We were a thousand or more strangers with almost no direction. We put together a professional tent that was abuzz the entire day. Sure we didn't have Romney sized crowds, but there was always people coming and going.

Sure the marching and the chanting were all fine and dandy. But it was hundreds of almost unseen volunteers that were the real story here, and the author completely missed out on it. EVERYTHING IN THAT TENT WAS EITHER BOUGHT AND OR SETUP OR BOTH BY RON PAUL VOLUNTEERS.

WE WEREN'T PAID, should be the Ron Paul Theme from now on!!

Robert NW Ohio

I love this story! we didn't get to ames til around 6 am but we worked our butts off all day while we were there and i was going on 2 hours sleep and i had been driving a car for nearly 12 hours. SO i agree completely... we didn't show up for 5 dollars an hour, we worked our asses off for our freedom. not exactly a gun and cannon type battle but a battle still indeed.

I LOVE hearing the experience of others there to contrast my own and what I missed, i was having a hard time listening to 10,000 conversations at once so i missed a bunch im sure :)

thanks for this story

MsDoodahs
08-14-2007, 09:32 AM
That is what Reason should publish.

Thank you, Robert!

rdenner
08-14-2007, 09:34 AM
Thanks for the kudos.

If you take what I did, and multiply it by at least 1000 people, you'll get a sense of the STORY that took place that day.

I think we won in more than one way on Saturday. We just sent home literally 1000's of pumped up Ron Paul junkies.

We just mainlined some hard core Ron Paul, and now we want to bring it home with us.

I haven't worked in two days now. I've been completely obsessed. Trying to get my Meetup back on track again.

Robert

cujothekitten
08-14-2007, 10:06 AM
I can’t say I disagree with your observations. I’ve found that the best of the grassroots also happens to be a bit of the campaign’s downfall. The people that support Ron Paul come from every walk of life… we’ve got supporters for marijuana legalization, anti-Fed fanatics, far left activists, far right activists, third party voters, 9/11 truthers, and IRS evaders. The group you never hear about is people like me.

I’m a small business owner that lives in Chicago. I’m a normal, everyday, citizen that is genuinely concerned with the way our country is headed. I’ve come to the realization that not everyone thinks like me, and I accept that.

I love this grassroots campaign because of the variety. America is about banning together and living free, how un-American would it be to shun fellow supporters simply because they have a different view?

Unfortunately for us shunning supporters is exactly what Americans think we should do. We are supposed to tell people to take a hike even though we all share a common goal… that, to me, is pretty sad.

tmg19103
08-14-2007, 10:50 AM
I have a friend who is a RP supporter who has Wharton MBA, is a successful businesman (owns a $4 million vacation home in Nantucket) but can't stand the government. You would never know it. He hobnobs with Romney type suporters and is friends with them. But, he is what I would call a closet RP supporter as it is a no-no to mix politics and business - and especially RP politics when most of your clients probably support Romney.

RP supporters cover all spectrums, and my hope is that as the message spreads there will be a quiet revolution of the masses who, rather than the more out-spoken grassrooots, quitely support RP and just vote for him based on his ideas and message - and based on how we have all helped spread that message.

jacmicwag
08-14-2007, 11:07 AM
Great article. It was one of those "you had to be there" events to really capture the flavor. You're right - we do have to get our act together to win the nomination. The good news - we can do it. In fact, we can take Iowa in January if we can gather about 30,000 votes. This is very doable if we can get the student/young people block registered and eligible to vote in the Caucus. Bush only needed 35,000 votes last time out to win. How many potential 17 to 25 year old votes for RP are waiting to be harvested in Iowa? Let's put together a plan and make it happen. Anybody else want to jump in on this?

There's no reason we can't be enjoying a massive victory party next time we all meetup in Iowa on a warm January day.

Sematary
08-14-2007, 01:30 PM
My honest opinion, I wasn't there so I don't know how the supporters looked but I thought your observation that there is a disconnect between the national campaign and the grassroots is right on. The grassroots is energized but unfocused. What good are signs that say "who is Ron Paul?" if they don't have something underneath that says "Ron Paul for president 2008".
I'm sorry to hear about the wasted tickets. It seems like those should have been handed out days in advance. Definitely a loss there.
Hopefully, as this campaign moves forward, the grassroots will find a way to coalesce into a force that can get major things done (we've seen some small victories - like the Ames newspaper ad and the radio spots) but we need to get it together and turn this into a cohesive effort. If we don't, we won't accomplish much. And, to top it off, too many of his supporters are sitting at their computer desks and aren't out in the streets, where they can make a difference.

Sematary
08-14-2007, 01:32 PM
Great article. It was one of those "you had to be there" events to really capture the flavor. You're right - we do have to get our act together to win the nomination. The good news - we can do it. In fact, we can take Iowa in January if we can gather about 30,000 votes. This is very doable if we can get the student/young people block registered and eligible to vote in the Caucus. Bush only needed 35,000 votes last time out to win. How many potential 17 to 25 year old votes for RP are waiting to be harvested in Iowa? Let's put together a plan and make it happen. Anybody else want to jump in on this?

There's no reason we can't be enjoying a massive victory party next time we all meetup in Iowa on a warm January day.

Iowa, New Hampshire, Nevada and (South Carolina, or North?).
We really need to get something cohesive together to focus on those states for the primaries. Wins in any of them, but especially Iowa and New Hampshire will give the campaign the boost it needs going into Super Tuesday. Wins in two or more of them and he's a virtual lock - especially Iowa and New Hampshire.

Mani
08-14-2007, 04:59 PM
The article was alright, it appeared to be an honest editorial. I feel bad the average supporter that doesn't look or act crazy gets ignored because they are boring and not worthy of print, and only the extremes are talked about.

I feel like there was a disconnect to what I saw on the online video feeds and what the article talked about.

I also found this offensive: ...they’re looking for a social network and a traveling carnival...

That is actually quite bothersome. As an Ron Paul Supporter the last thing I'm looking for is a show/circus or social group. I have a full time career, 2 small kids, a wife, my real estate and other investments. I'm pretty busy, trying to expand my net worth, provide the best I can for my family and finally balance in some quality time to spend with them.

In my constant search for new investments and opportunities I run across more blockades, barriers, and tax problems, all thanks to our government. When I'm researching a new opportunity half the time they are trying to explain some contorted method of keeping the IRS from getting their paws onto it and reducing it to a lot of effort for a couple of nickels which will end up costing you much more in taxes. It's ridiculous how much effort people spend trying to prevent getting shackled by an overburdening tax system.

Doesn't the government realize allowing people to become wealthy is better for our country instead of punishing them unless they have the proper army of tax accountants, lawyers, and complex web of business structures.

Then I learn about the precarious position of our dollar, the very real inflation tax, the ever expanding size of our government, and realize all this hard work could be for naught if our government makes our country bankrupt.

And when a honest genuine person like Ron Paul shows up and explains the free market belief, wants to get the IRS off all our backs, dramatically reduce the size of government, and save our dollar, you don't think I'm going to jump all over that message?!?

I met Ron Paul last year and thought he was an amazing person. My faith in Washington went up just knowing someone like him actually exists. Of course when I found out he was running for President this year I was thrilled.

And it didn't take long for me to join a meetup group and start working with others to get this message across. Yes I've met a huge variety of people since I've been part of the grass roots effort. But it has nothing to do with social networking.

It's thousands of strangers across the land who are working towards a common goal that's personal and very important to each of their lives. They care about their country and realize it's headed in the wrong direction. They feel Ron Paul could do so much good, they can't just watch this rare and critical opportunity slip by, instead they are the leaders who decide to do something about it.

If a bunch of supporters get together and end up working hard and loud and seem to be having a great time, don't assume it's because they "have no life" or are in desperate need of a social group, but rather it's because they have a passion, a common goal, and a beautiful vision of what this country can be, and they are willing to sacrifice, their time, money, and energy to do something about it.

While they may not always know where to put their focus, I feel that kind of effort and motivation deserves more than just your mockery.

kaligula
08-14-2007, 08:12 PM
Well I am a Reason subscriber and LP party member and support Ron Paul, although i don't agree with him either on abortion or immigration, having typical libertarian positions on those issues.

Although i understand why he did it--given the social conservative Iowa audience--Paul's speech emphasizing abortion and the statement that life begins at conception didn't hit a particularly high note with me.

specsaregood
08-14-2007, 08:23 PM
If a bunch of supporters get together and end up working hard and loud and seem to be having a great time, don't assume it's because they "have no life" or are in desperate need of a social group, but rather it's because they have a passion, a common goal, and a beautiful vision of what this country can be, and they are willing to sacrifice, their time, money, and energy to do something about it.

While they may not always know where to put their focus, I feel that kind of effort and motivation deserves more than just your mockery.

Couldn't say it better! Saving the country should be fun! To say we aren't interested in winning is insulting. I have been in other countries where election time is one big party. These are people that TAKE PRIDE in the election process.

Last year I was in another country during election week. EVERY FREAKING NIGHT during the week leading up to election day, the people lined up on the side of the street for kilometers; waving flags, cheering, having fun. I remember wishing to myself that Americans took such pride, passion and enjoyment in electing their officials. Ron Paul's candidacy has given that opportunity and I am going to do my best to see that it is simply the BEGINING of a rEVOLution for Americans taking PRIDE in their government.

Badger Paul
08-14-2007, 08:45 PM
Dave, I can't remember, were you the fellow I was talking to from Reason (assuming you had other reporters there) outside the Fair Tax tent? (big guy, glasses, white shirt holding the big RP sign with leaflets)?

The article reads well at times and reads like something I would find on Politico.com, snarky. Make no mistake, none of us who stood in the hot Iowa summer sun holding an RP sign from thousands of miles from home were not doing so to be a part of a "social movement." That is asinine. We did so to elect a president thank you very much. Yes we know it's a long shot, we're not stupid. But we also know it has a chance of success if events break in RP's favor and it's a chance worth taking.

I'm surprised you didn't write more about the age issue within the GOP because what we had talked about and I'm also suprised you missed the essence of the camapaign. Yes RP has his kooky supporters I don't disagree, some of them more disgagreeable than others (and the fellow in the black shorts, shirt and red bow tie was my hotel roomate from Minnesota and is hardly a kook.). But that ad you mentioned was paid for not by the national camapaign, but by ordinary RP supporters using the internet to raise funds to pay for it. The same was true radio ads, newspaper ads and stratw poll ticket buying.

In a nutshell this is a do-it-yourself campaign. One would have thought you and other Reason libertarians would understand and appreciate this because of its potential transformitive effects on the culture as a whole. Instead you decided to play D.C. political reporter focusing on the horserace which explained the article's last paragraph. You don't have to tell us that we have to do more than just email each other to get Ron Paul the GOP nomination. But you do have to admit those of you who thought we were a couple of spammers in pajamas with nothing better to do in our lives were wrong.

aknappjr
08-14-2007, 09:25 PM
Here's my take

Went to Ronstock. Good times. Drinks were $2.50 in Ames, Iowa. I convinced 2 Obama supporters that Social Security was a racist (uintentionally) system (and it is).

Stayed in Des Moines, a sleepy small city.

Saw lots of corn on the way to Iowa from Chicago and back. Lots and lots of corn.

Gasoline with 10% ethanol is 10 cents cheaper in Iowa...probably due to subsidies paid for by people in L.A. and New York and all over America. Good for Iowians, bad for the rest of the country.

Got to the Straw Poll around 9 a.m. Few people were there then, but started coming in cars, and then, Romney and Brownback busses. Romney had the most # of supporters bused in, and many were wearing yellow socialist T-shirts saying Mitt Romney. Brownback bused in a bunch of supporters also.

Handed out slimjims and maps with Ron Paul's name and schedule on it with my girlfriend to people walking in from their cars...I figured the buses are a lost cause.

Gave out hundreds of maps and hundreds of slimjims, telling people about RP's stance on the 2nd, 1st, and 10th amendments, and that he's pro-border security and anti-IRS. I think it went over well with people.

I saw a ton of people with Ron Paul signs (the biggest signs and the most # of signs), so that was great. I just wish people told of Ron Paul's message and how it is a good fit with the views of Iowians (2nd, 10th, 16th amendments, anti-abortion, anti-illegal immigration). Name recognition is fine, but message recognition at an event like this was crucial.

Saw Ron Paul speak in the afternoon at the colliseum...pretty exciting to see the Ron Paul marchers in the mosh pit. He got good applause on anti-immigration policy, anti-IRS policy, his pro-constitution policy, and his pro-life stance.

Handed out more slimjims to people coming in and went in the late afternoon to cool down a bit by his tent.

I predicted RP would come in 5th during the Straw Poll, and that's what happened.