PDA

View Full Version : Ron Paul Lottery?

moonshine5757
02-15-2008, 06:20 PM
it seems to me that people who read about ron paul's message usually become supporters. since the media won't recognize him or spread his message we as a group are hindered. We've basically hit a point where the support has stalled. Well how do you get more people to read his message? well there must be an incentive.

strengths - we raise money well and were quite intelligent. how about we raise a few million dollars...create a website that gives away money to people that read ron paul's message. imagine a ron paul giveaway if you will.

click on a ron paul fact and you get a chance to win money...each click moves onto another ron paul fact and gives the reader another chance to win money...then on a set date the website awards money to people...sort of a lottery system

is this against the law? if so, couldn't it be set up through an offshore website like the poker companies were doing?

entice people with money and spread the message, without a doubt it would work.

btw...i think it can be done as long as we refrain from telling them to vote for him...we just include fast facts on each issue about each candidate....oh my goodness people who vote my become informed...dear god the humanity!

kathy88
02-15-2008, 06:21 PM
Zany and very interesting.

MJfromCT
02-15-2008, 06:25 PM
"I drink to that" (Takashi in Revenge of the Nerds)

mysticgeek
02-15-2008, 06:30 PM
mmmmm.... I am not sure what I think about this idea. On one hand ... it would definitely bring attention to RP. On the other ... our money could be much more effective by giving it to other RP Republican candidates and their campaigns.

moonshine5757
02-15-2008, 06:30 PM
hey MJ from CT are you the same MJ that was in the new haven ron paul meetup group? If so you were amazing on the phones? I never heard a more passionate ron paul sales pitch in my life. You made me love Ron Paul more, and I didn't even know that was possible?

MJfromCT
02-15-2008, 06:36 PM
It could of been, you must of caught me during one of my well irish coffeed up calls anything before or after the right buzz was a mess.

pinkmandy
02-15-2008, 06:36 PM
I think that's a neat idea...they take a quiz and random quiz takers win money after successful completion of the quiz! It could be totally educational and could also direct people to "similar" candidates in their area, right? This could be pretty awesome!!!!

nate895
02-15-2008, 06:41 PM
Or, we could all buy lotto tickets and spend the money on electing Ron Paul.

I like both ideas.

pinkmandy
02-15-2008, 06:44 PM
Or, we could all buy lotto tickets and spend the money on electing Ron Paul.

I like both ideas.

True- I'm game for both! ;)

I like this lotto website idea, though...we can pick up where the schools left off. :D People can learn more about their govt and what they should expect of it in 15 mins on our site as compared to the 13 yrs they spent in school.

skeryl
02-15-2008, 06:50 PM
what are the government regulations for it? all contributions need names address etc..

pinkmandy
02-15-2008, 07:07 PM
what are the government regulations for it? all contributions need names address etc..

No clue but I don't *think* we'd be donating money to any candidate, we'd be educating a platform many may share, right? I don't know how it would all work but I really think it's a cool idea. We have high school grads who think Abe Lincoln was our first president, kwim?

Sadly, I think the possibility of a money prize is the only thing that would draw them out to educate themselves.

TastyWheat
02-15-2008, 09:39 PM
I like the idea. It could turn out to be the most expensive project yet, but free money will draw anyone's attention.

pinkmandy
02-17-2008, 09:32 PM
Bringing this back up. I still think it's an awesome idea...the goal would be to EDUCATE THE MASSES w/out them realizing it. Forced education with the dangling lottery carrot.

1. Read through stuff school never taught you about our country
2. Take quiz
3. Upon getting a 90% or above on your quiz you are entered to win $10,000.

We could do a drawing every week. We could also award an additional $2,000 IF you referred one of the winners. Or we could give multiple entries into drawing based on number of referrals who passed the quiz...lots of options. Let's brainstorm this! We need to educate people and I think this is a neat way to do it!

kpitcher
02-17-2008, 10:43 PM
Lottery would be gambling, which if online is illegal for any US citizen.

However sweepstakes are legit. The Deal or No deal text to guess is an example, or publisher's clearinghouse. I spent a few hours awhile ago looking at how to do one of these and decided it'd take a specialized lawyer to do it right.

There are websites that do something like this. Offhand I can think of pongo.com that gives cash prizes but it doesn't fall under the gambling rules. As to how, that's probably going to cost a bit in legal fees to find out.

The other option is to outright pay someone to visit the site. How many people remember the 'earn 5 bucks from paypal by recommending a friend' when they first started? Although I don't see how we could afford to do the same as that would get very expensive fast.

pinkmandy
02-17-2008, 11:01 PM
Sweepstakes would be fine. Or a refer a friend raffle?

Do we have any attorneys here who would give us some direction?

moonshine5757
02-20-2008, 06:15 AM
bump

BigRedBrent
02-20-2008, 08:25 AM
This is interesting if it could be implemented.

TruthAtLast
02-20-2008, 10:13 AM
mmmmm.... I am not sure what I think about this idea. On one hand ... it would definitely bring attention to RP. On the other ... our money could be much more effective by giving it to other RP Republican candidates and their campaigns.

True. I love the idea of educating the public and that is a major part of the long term goal. But right now we have Ron Paul supporters running for office that are willing and ready to take positions of power. They are waiting for our help. They can not do it alone. We need to help our brothers and sisters in this fight, ESPECIALLY the ones that are on the front lines taking direct fire from the enemy!

slamhead
02-20-2008, 10:18 AM
You have to look at your state laws. California for example allows charities to engage in parimutuel type betting as is the type of gambling that encompasses the lottery and church bingos.

I proposed earlier that we do a lottery for Ron Paul and base the winning numbers on the last three whole dollars donated on his donation widget at the end of a given day.

lastnymleft
02-25-2008, 09:39 PM
This idea has merit, and should be pursued. Some initial thoughts:

* I think Dr Paul is most powerful when he is speaking, rather than his positions standing by themselves on paper. How about we have a 60(?) minute interview of Dr Paul at his finest, covering lots of different positions.

* At the end of that interview have the quiz, with >90(?)% being considered a "pass".

* A draw for every 100(?) people entered, and prize money given away to the winner. (I think the idea of giving away lots of small amounts would be better than a single big number - (a) people see that they have a pretty fair chance at winning, so are more likely to bother. eg "Bored? Why not try to win a quick $500? Results within an hour!" (b) compounded word of mouth coverage from the winners provides more effective PR).

* Only one entry per IP address, and the choir (ie existing supporters) should be encouraged not to participate.

* To preclude bot entry, (1) ensure quiz is only offered at end of playing full vid, (2) use a CAPTCHA system to ensure it is a human taking the quiz.

* Display winners on the site, to prove that they have been paid out. Agreeing to such is a condition of entry.

* Comments section from quiz-takers, to enable them to comment on how the last 60 minutes of viewing has affected their opinion of Dr Paul (if at all).

* We can all promote it in enemy territory, on their forums, blogs, newspaper comment sections, etc.

* This could all be done with NUMEROUS themes. eg one video / quiz / comp focusing on the Fed, one video / quiz / comp focusing on individual rights, one video / quiz / comp focusing on Dr Paul. etceteras.

With small amounts (say, <$1,000/draw) given away, this sort of thing can be up and running pretty quick. I'd say just go for it.

pinkmandy
02-25-2008, 09:44 PM
Still love this idea. A nice RP interview would be awesome.

MEET RON PAUL AND WIN $1000!!!!

REFER A FRIEND WHO WINS AND WIN $500!!!

Yes, I love it.

LibertyRevolution
02-26-2008, 12:32 AM
[We making a quiz? I got a good question, I think.]

Section-1: Reading Comprehension

Read the fallowing paragraph and select the correct answer.

Amendment V of the United States Constitution:
“No person shall be held to answer for a capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a grand jury, except in cases arising in the land or naval forces, or in the militia, when in actual service in time of war or public danger; nor shall any person be subject for the same offense to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb; nor shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself, nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation.”

Yet people are arrested on federal drug charges, their homes and property are seized, their bank accounts are frozen, police use their vehicles and homes to lure others into custody, all before your trial even begins, how is this possible?

A) Federal drugs laws allow for suspension of a drug dealers constitutional rights.

B) Federal drug laws are in direct violation of the constitution.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I Am Sorry, The Answer A is Wrong.
“No person shall be…deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation.”The government does not have the right to take your property merely because you have been arrested. Being under arrest is only being accused of a crime, it is not due process of law. You must be found guilty of a crime before our property can be taken. No law may supersede the constitution.

Congratulations, The Answer B is Correct.
The government does not have the right to take your property merely because you have been arrested. Being under arrest is only being accused of a crime, it is not due process of law. You must be found guilty of a crime before our property can be taken.

pinkmandy
02-26-2008, 12:40 AM
You know, if the sheeple actually know their rights and expect to have them we might cause another revolution. Lol!

pinkmandy
02-26-2008, 08:16 AM
So what would it take to test run this concept? A site + donations? Anyone familiar with the legalese of doing this?

DFF
02-26-2008, 08:31 AM
What about a scratch off game. One with pictures of Ben Bernanke and Gold bars.

3 Gold Bars = $10,000

2 Gold Bars = $5000

1 Gold Bars = $500

3 Bernankes = $0