PDA

View Full Version : Article - Was Ron Paul the Real Iowa Straw Poll Winner?

Lois
08-13-2007, 07:17 PM
Here's an interesting analysis of the Straw Poll results --

Was Ron Paul the Real Iowa Straw Poll Winner?

http://www.alternet.org/blogs/peek/59590/

Original_Intent
08-13-2007, 07:37 PM
That was one of the best articles ever. I have been thinking much the same thing.

Giuliani and McCain not particpating ONLY helped Mitt get his "win". If they had played in Iowa you would have seen the three of them "splitting" Mitt's 31% win, Huckabee would have won and Ron Paul would be right in the midst of the "top- tier" as RP would have lost zero votes to either of them.

At best, Mitt might have "squeaked" a win, which considering his spending would have been laughed off even more than his 31% "victory".

kylejack
08-13-2007, 07:50 PM
That was one of the best articles ever. I have been thinking much the same thing.

Giuliani and McCain not particpating ONLY helped Mitt get his "win". If they had played in Iowa you would have seen the three of them "splitting" Mitt's 31% win, Huckabee would have won and Ron Paul would be right in the midst of the "top- tier" as RP would have lost zero votes to either of them.

At best, Mitt might have "squeaked" a win, which considering his spending would have been laughed off even more than his 31% "victory".

No, because Giuliani and McCain would have bussed in their own voters.

CJLauderdale4
08-13-2007, 07:55 PM
No, because Giuliani and McCain would have bussed in their own voters.

I'm not convinced on that one. How many of the Romney voters on Saturday, who other wise would;ve voted for McCain and Giuliani, voted for Romney for the free bus ride, food, and activities?

Die hard voters see the "no show" of McCain and Giuliani as a slap in their face, and voted Romney instead. Not sure if your theory is 100%.