PDA

View Full Version : Don't Vote?

Peregrin
02-15-2008, 04:43 PM
I hope this is the right place for this post...

The article here:

Keep the Revolution Going (http://www.strike-the-root.com/81/stevens/stevens1.html)

suggests that refusing to vote, period, is the best way to change things in America. Please read the article (it's short) and tell me what you think.

pinkmandy
02-15-2008, 04:45 PM
I'm not going to bother reading it. If you don't vote you are invisible. No one cares or notices that you didn't vote.

nate895
02-15-2008, 04:48 PM
It is more effective to just vote for a third party candidate.

pcosmar
02-15-2008, 05:13 PM
A very stupid Idea.
A majority of people already don't vote. Not voting changes nothing.
If only 2 people showed up to vote that would be the "will of the people".

It is like closing your eyes to make the storm go away. :confused:

nate895
02-15-2008, 05:14 PM
A very stupid Idea.
A majority of people already don't vote. Not voting changes nothing.
If only 2 people showed up to vote that would be the "will of the people".

It is like closing your eyes to make the storm go away. :confused:

If only two people voted, you better be sure they are Paul supporters.

forsmant
02-15-2008, 05:16 PM
Don't Vote. it only encourages them!!

Mesogen
02-15-2008, 06:33 PM
I broke my voting cherry February 12, 2008. I've been eligible to vote since 1992, but I voted for the first time ever in any political race for any position at all when I voted for Ron Paul in the DC primary.

Before this, there has never been anyone worth voting for. It's not that I didn't want to vote. It's that there was no one to vote for. I came really close in 2004 to voting ffor Howard Dean. Bush had to be stopped and at first I didn't care who stopped him. I thought I'd be voting in the general election for Howard Dean. Then Kerry got the nomination. I never even heard of him before, but he was saying he'd increase troops levels and increase the money in Iraq. Foiled again.

Well, this might be it. I might write in Ron Paul for the general, but I might not. That one primary vote might be the only time in my life I vote.

Mesogen
02-15-2008, 06:35 PM
This has been my feeling for quite a while now:

To send a clear message: we’re fed up and not participating anymore; we’re taking steps to be free and we’re not asking for permission.

While you will be more free, it won't send any kind of message. In fact, I don't want it to. I just want to be left alone.

Peregrin
02-18-2008, 11:09 AM
While you will be more free, it won't send any kind of message. In fact, I don't want it to. I just want to be left alone.

I completely understand. I would like to just be left alone, too. But if the vast majority choose to perpetuate the system...

It seems to be an age-old problem: do we fight to reform a corrupt institution/system? Or do we separate ourselves from it and start over?

WilliamC
02-18-2008, 11:14 AM
Why not write in Ron Paul or vote third party?

Not voting is sort of like giving up completely.

BuddyRey
02-18-2008, 11:14 AM
People who don't vote, whether from apathy or a misguided form of protest, are, in my opinion, part of the problem and not the solution.