PDA

View Full Version : need help with a website idea

BarryDonegan
02-15-2008, 02:51 PM
i would like to create a social networking site that would allow users to hold an account, which would need to be verified as to what voting district they live in via email confirmation and address confirmation, then the users can post any law that they know of, on a state, local or federal level. Then when the law is posted, anyone who cares about the law itself, can simply click a box next to a yes or no, and an email would be sent to every single voting representative letting him or her know the feeling of the person who is being represented.

This would effectively be a user-created content site that allows political activism to become very user-friendly and easy, requiring only clicks. in fact, politicians could make accounts on the site to make themselves more accessable, and it could be a great resource for politicians to reach activist voters on the net.

does this peak anyones interest, and anyone would like to get in on this with me?

Slugg
02-15-2008, 03:04 PM
i would like to create a social networking site that would allow users to hold an account, which would need to be verified as to what voting district they live in via email confirmation and address confirmation, then the users can post any law that they know of, on a state, local or federal level. Then when the law is posted, anyone who cares about the law itself, can simply click a box next to a yes or no, and an email would be sent to every single voting representative letting him or her know the feeling of the person who is being represented.

This would effectively be a user-created content site that allows political activism to become very user-friendly and easy, requiring only clicks. in fact, politicians could make accounts on the site to make themselves more accessable, and it could be a great resource for politicians to reach activist voters on the net.

does this peak anyones interest, and anyone would like to get in on this with me?

Sounds to me like you're trying to take a sample of the general public to 'figure out' public oppinion. I have a similar idea, but implemented very different. Myself and some others have already started. We've made great progress. If your interested, we can use the help. We've had a month of late nights getting this thing going.

The only problem with this sort of sampeling is that there is no reason for 'regular' (non-involved) voters to go and participate. So it's not really a sample of the public, but a sample of the grassroots. We need a sample of the general voting public...but it must be voluntary and require 'some' effort. Phone polls suck because they are misleading and random. ..... I guess I'm preaching to the choir about that one...Paul supporters all hate phone polls...and rightfully so.

Anyhow, send me a message if you're interested...I think you have the right idea, and I think it's great...but I'm not sure the end result will be what you're hoping to accomplish.

BarryDonegan
02-15-2008, 03:36 PM
yeah, thats exactly the idea, the main thing of the database, is it makes it really easy and a one-stop-shop to figure out how to say YAY OR NAY to a bill. I know personally, that in my local area, there are some friends who oppose a certain spending project that directly affects their neighborhood. If they had a site where they could easily post this bill for others to become aware of, it would have more of a shot of getting some emails in opposition to it.

for example, this site would be non partisan, so basically you could sign up to get notifications of any new bills which pertain to a category, for example, any bill which causes an increase in spending, or any bill which deals with the issue of abortion, or 2nd ammendment, etc. This would allow people to have Bills that pass, basically in the dark of night, shown to them.

Although only political activists are going to be represented, often there are bills that activists miss, that they'd love the chance to sound their opinion on.

theantirobot
02-15-2008, 03:54 PM
The only problem with this sort of sampeling is that there is no reason for 'regular' (non-involved) voters to go and participate. So it's not really a sample of the public, but a sample of the grassroots. We need a sample of the general voting public...but it must be voluntary and require 'some' effort. Phone polls suck because they are misleading and random. ..... I guess I'm preaching to the choir about that one...Paul supporters all hate phone polls...and rightfully so.

Anyhow, send me a message if you're interested...I think you have the right idea, and I think it's great...but I'm not sure the end result will be what you're hoping to accomplish.

This is great! I am developing a social news site which can synergize with what you guys are doing. Imagine that when the activists find out about a law, they can promote it at the bigger, more general audience at the social news site. The site I'm developing has local search, so local promotion of upcoming laws would be easy.

Then there is the breakthematrix.com project from Trevor, which as I understand it is seeking to propel user generated content to commercial status. The combination of these three ideas, political activism, social promotion, and user generated content, is everything we need to provide a compelling alternative to the currently accepted mode of mainstream mass communication.

Imagine if instead of watching tv, everyone was participating in a forum like we have here. That is what I think we are going to see happen in the next couple years. Imagine a community of individuals developing and funding transparent corporations, for their own profit. Imagine if we could organize a nation wide solar and wind energy infrastructure. Fund it with micro-investments. Everyone gets rich and everyone benefits. These are the things we can enable by developing a large community, and giving it purpose.

Individuals collaborate to turn goals into business plans
Artists promote those plans to gain crowd funding
Citizens promote the work of the artists
artists profit from their work
citizens profit from their investments
business people profit from all of it
everyone gets rich
we save the world

BarryDonegan
02-15-2008, 04:24 PM
im still a hard core believer that the companies to do these type of things need to be private companies. publicly traded corporations can be bought by anyone richer than you, sometimes against your will.

I am not a believer that the consumers need to part own every business they consume, i think they need to be more ethical about what they consume with their money instead (which accomplishes the same goal without as much room for corruption)

the main point here is not so much promotion of the freedom agenda, as much as it is promotion of community activism in a way that is as easy and user friendly as any other modern convenience. This would of course be of great help to activist leglislators like dr. Paul, who could get more local activists to pressure some of the bills that he puts pressure on.

as of right now, a lot of the community activism that doesn't have the strength it could, comes from us. so we would stand to gain, the main thing is if this site was available to help guage public opinion on smaller lesser-known legislation, it would be tougher for politicians to nickel and dime budgets. they would be able to be held accountable for every little law, and every citizens that interferes. some people may champion a specific law because eminent domain is being used to seize their own property. giving people with a vested interest in a bill, who are not a part of a PAC or a the corporate lobbying group a way to highlight issues for other people with ease would really give opponents of unneccessary legislation a stronger voice.