PDA

View Full Version : Very important site! All RP supporters should be members.

Jason726
02-15-2008, 09:43 AM
Are you registered at www.downsizedc.org ?

This website makes it VERY easy to e-mail all of your elected officials about any bills coming up for a vote. This site echoes the views of RP. It basically does the work for you and takes very little effort.

It sends you an email every day or two about important laws. You dont have to respond to everyone of them, but I think it would be silly not to because it writes the message for you. You dont have to write your own comments, but you can if you want to. Write as little or as much as you would like.

www.downsizedc.org

If you are a member, please post your opinions to help with skepticism.

pinkmandy
02-15-2008, 09:52 AM
Bump. I'd like to hear what others with experience think of this site.

Jason726
02-15-2008, 09:54 AM
Yea. I made the poll because I was curious to see how many people on the forums were members. If we all spent 1/100 the time we spend posting in threads, we could have more of an impact on legislation.

KiwiMango
02-15-2008, 09:56 AM
Thanks for great site...sent it to DP too.

ToryNotion
02-15-2008, 09:57 AM
looks like a push poll to me

Jason726
02-15-2008, 09:59 AM

It has a lot of members, and it keeps growing. heres a quote from their site "More than 1,000 new people have joined DownsizeDC.org in January. This is more than we recruited in any single month all last year. We're off to a great start. Thank you to those who helped spread the word, and welcome to all the new members of our Downsize DC Army. Your membership is important...."

Cleaner44
02-15-2008, 09:59 AM
Yea. I made the poll because I was curious to see how many people on the forums were members. If we all spent 1/100 the time we spend posting in threads, we could have more of an impact on legislation.

Good point. I get emails from JBS and some other group too and it really does help keep me involved in the legislation. They may not listen to us but it is worth doing. I think we still do have some power and we had better use it before it is completely gone.

Jason726
02-15-2008, 10:01 AM
looks like a push poll to me

I have no problems pushing this site. I think it is very important. I didn't mean for the poll to be completely objective.

kigol
02-15-2008, 10:37 AM
not a member but i might look into it.

Jason726
02-15-2008, 11:50 AM
bump..

Jason726
02-15-2008, 12:14 PM
If some of you people that are voting yes could comment on the site, it would help to diminish the skepticism anyone has.

terlinguatx
02-15-2008, 12:16 PM

nullvalu
02-15-2008, 12:24 PM
Ok, I chose no in the poll but after reading their site I signed up for the newsletter. I like their "read the bills act". In fact I would take it a step further and make each legislator take a "Bill Comprehension Test" before being allowed to vote!

Jason726
02-15-2008, 12:29 PM
Ok, I chose no in the poll but after reading their site I signed up for the newsletter. I like their "read the bills act". In fact I would take it a step further and make each legislator take a "Bill Comprehension Test" before being allowed to vote!

My favorite message that they ever sent me was the "I am Not Afraid" message to congress. check it out: http://action.downsizedc.org/wyc.php?cid=77
the best thing I took from that was this "Nearly 800,000 people have died in car accidents in the last twenty years. During that time there have been exactly two Islamic terrorist attacks on U.S. soil, with less than 3,000 total fatalities. That's more than 200 TIMES as many Americans dying in their cars as at the hands of Islamic terrorism. And yet . . ."

The most recent one I recieved was yesterday, and it was about the new spying leislation that the senate just passed. It also included a message to the House, which hasn't voted on it yet. Here it is: http://www.downsizedc.org/blog/2008/feb/13/68_senators_violate_their_oaths_of_office

Esor
02-15-2008, 12:30 PM
I subscribed. Every little thing helps.

Keith
02-15-2008, 12:31 PM
I have had a good experience with the site over the few weeks since I registered. My only complaint is that when I submit my feedback to the bureaucrats it always fails to go through to one of my senators and to my representative. It always goes through to the other senator so there is probably some problem with the other two bureaucrats' websites. The one who gets my messages does listen to me because he is a fascist, but at least I am trying to get through to him. He has no excuse and should not be surprised when I vote against him the next time he comes up for reelection.

I should point out that I have not received any spam as a result of signing up for this website and that I have comfortable supporting every thing that I have seen them propose so far.

Also, I understand that Harry Browne was a cofounder of the site for those of you who know who he was.

Jason726
02-15-2008, 12:34 PM
I'm not sure about that. It seems to work fine for me. Is there a message on the site that says they were not sent?

nullvalu
02-15-2008, 12:34 PM
Wow, telling my elected officials how pissed off I am has never been easier!! wooo LOL

Keith
02-15-2008, 12:38 PM
I'm not sure about that. It seems to work fine for me. Is there a message on the site that says they were not sent?

You get a confirmation e-mail that lists who all received the message and who did not. For me Sessions always gets it while Shelby and Bachus never get their message. Your mileage may vary.

I still take the time to send in the feedback even though it only goes to one of my bureaucrats.

Jason726
02-15-2008, 12:40 PM
You get a confirmation e-mail that lists who all received the message and who did not. For me Sessions always gets it while Shelby and Bachus never get their message. Your mileage may vary.

I still take the time to send in the feedback even though it only goes to one of my bureaucrats.

Hmmmm. Strange. I get the confirmation email, but I've never had a problem. It just says "Your message has been sent."

Lou337
02-15-2008, 12:50 PM
Subscribed and sent a letter to my representatives and congressmen. One of them is up for re-election against an RP Republican.

Esor
02-15-2008, 01:08 PM
I was just browsing through the sight. I sent off a couple letters and I'm very excited to do some more. I really like the website and suggest that everyone takes the time to subscribe and send off letters to their representatives.

Also, please take time with your letters. List key reasons why they should support, repeal, or change certain legislation. Don't make it too draining; concise and to the point. Don't just put "Repeal the Patiot Act or else I won't vote for you."

MJfromCT
02-15-2008, 01:41 PM
I registered for this site a few months back and used it to contact my 2 senators and congressman regarding Ron Paul's competing currency bill proposal. It is easy to use and provides a lot of good updates on what is going on in D.C. One drawback is they sure do send a lot of email but overall I would recommend this site to anyone with a desire to "pssst do something".

Sematary
02-15-2008, 01:50 PM
downsizedc is without a doubt one of the best resources on the internet for mobilizing support against unconstitutional laws.

Jason726
02-15-2008, 02:23 PM
bump^

alaric
02-15-2008, 03:23 PM

absolutely! a very pro=Ron site, too!

Keith
02-15-2008, 07:33 PM
Bumping because everybody needs to know about this site.

FreeTraveler
02-15-2008, 07:40 PM
Bump for importance.

I hope somebody here has some upper-level contacts there to fill them in on the Celebration of Freedom when the plans get settled.

Geronimo
02-15-2008, 08:21 PM
Just joined.

RPLiberty1
02-15-2008, 08:42 PM
I joined about 4 months ago. They have promoted several Dr. Paul bills since then. Let your representative know that you expect them to honor their oath of office and what your thoughts are on the issues.

Jason726
02-16-2008, 02:16 AM
bump

gpickett00
02-16-2008, 02:52 AM
Quickly imagine this scenario. You are on a beautiful cruise with your family and everyone is having a wonderful time. You and your wife are on the deck at sunset and you see 5 pirates take over the crew of the ship, kill them and steal their uniforms. The pirates dress like the crew and are planning on taking the cruise ship to prisoner island. You frantically run down to the ball room and interrupt the crowd telling them what you just saw. There are 7 options that you have

How to react to pirates taking over a cruise ship:

1. Do nothing
2. Join the pirates
3. Jump ship
4. Lets hide
5. Write letters of protest and send petitions
6. Take them to court
7. Organize a counter-coup and recapture the ship

How do you recapture the ship?
Get organized
International unity
People who are activists
A training program
An organizational structure that cannot be subverted
A clear statement of principles

bottom line: writing petitions to the people who control you won't do anything

Fields
02-16-2008, 02:56 AM
Registered a couple of weeks ago.

Jason726
02-16-2008, 03:03 AM
Quickly imagine this scenario. You are on a beautiful cruise with your family and everyone is having a wonderful time. You and your wife are on the deck at sunset and you see 5 pirates take over the crew of the ship, kill them and steal their uniforms. The pirates dress like the crew and are planning on taking the cruise ship to prisoner island. You frantically run down to the ball room and interrupt the crowd telling them what you just saw. There are 7 options that you have

How to react to pirates taking over a cruise ship:

1. Do nothing
2. Join the pirates
3. Jump ship
4. Lets hide
5. Write letters of protest and send petitions
6. Take them to court
7. Organize a counter-coup and recapture the ship

How do you recapture the ship?
Get organized
International unity
People who are activists
A training program
An organizational structure that cannot be subverted
A clear statement of principles

bottom line: writing petitions to the people who control you won't do anything

You make a somewhat valid point, but that doesn't mean we should not make our voice heard. It doesn't take a lot of effort.

chris198
02-16-2008, 04:12 AM
Shameless bump

Mark
02-16-2008, 06:48 AM
Registered

MJfromCT
02-16-2008, 08:45 AM
It seems a lot of the good threads keep being relocated to here in General Politics, I guess this location will be the new hotspot soon enough if this continues. Not that there is anything wrong with it.

Esor
02-20-2008, 11:50 AM
I have sent multiple letters to all of my congress(wo)men; only one replied back. Her responses were, as you may assume, political. Her latest response led me to believe that she did not even read my e-mail. It would be absurd to expect more and I still applaud for, at the very least, the time she took to respond. I hope I will recieve further responses from the others. Ohh, and by the way: BUMP^

Jason726
02-21-2008, 09:40 AM
bump

Jason726
02-26-2008, 11:00 AM
bump

Jason726
02-27-2008, 11:58 AM
bump

Jason726
03-04-2008, 10:51 AM
bump