PDA

View Full Version : FISA: Response from US Senator

wv@SC
02-15-2008, 07:20 AM
To any moderators: Please feel free to move this to the appropriate place if seen fit. I know there was a thread about writing our US Senators about the FISA Amendment, but I couldn't find it.

Here is a response from the one senator (Jim DeMint) from SC who voted "AYE!" to the FISA Amendment.

Dear (my name),

Thank you for contacting me to express your opposition to the modernization of the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act (FISA) and the National Security Agency's surveillance activities. I appreciate hearing from you on this issue.

As you may know, the Senate recently passed S.2248, the FISA Amendments Act of 2007, which updates FISA activities to allow monitoring of certain international communications. This legislation requires that the Attorney General and the Director of National Intelligence approve surveillance activities and the FISA Court have oversight of the procedures used.

We are actively engaged in a War on Terror, fighting against enemies who have made clear their intention to destroy America. The United States has people dedicated to eliminating terrorism and protecting American lives. We must equip them with the tools necessary to learn of our enemies' plans and quickly and effectively respond to threats.

Like you, I also understand the importance of protecting our constitutional freedoms. A balance must be achieved between safeguarding individual liberties and providing America's defenders with the tools to be successful. Congress will remain vigilant in oversight of these surveillance activities. Please rest assured that I will keep your concerns in mind as the Senate considers this legislation.

Thank you again for sharing your views with me. Please feel free to contact me in the future about anything important to you or your family. It is an honor to serve you and the people of the State of South Carolina.

Sincerely,

Jim DeMint
United States Senator

If anyone else from SC wrote to Sen. DeMint and got a response, please post in this thread. Also, I would like to hear from other responses from senators who voted in the affirmative.

dawnbt
02-15-2008, 08:32 AM
This man just signed his retirement letter.

HOLLYWOOD
02-20-2008, 12:29 AM
DeMINT is a FASCIST PIG... He currently busy with his CRUSADE against the city of Berkeley, CA and trying to force legislation to cut all federal funding off to the city for the Marine Recruitment Center announcement and "PINK ZONE".

The guy is a TOTAL NEOCON FREAK with the rest of the WEALTH of the WORLD WATCHERS and HOLY CRUSADERS!

DeMINT is DONE as far as knowing LIBERTY and DEMOCRACY meanings.

sophocles07
02-20-2008, 04:10 PM
We are actively engaged in a War on Terror, fighting against enemies who have made clear their intention to destroy America. The United States has people dedicated to eliminating terrorism and protecting American lives. We must equip them with the tools necessary to learn of our enemies' plans and quickly and effectively respond to threats.

Jesus Christ this guy might as well send a youtube link to Bush giving some speech (any for the last 6-7 yrs would do). FUCHHKING pathetic.

Chibioz
02-20-2008, 04:15 PM
Dear Mr DeMint and the rest of the Senate,

You have violated your oath of office in which you swore to defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies foreign and domestic, please get the fuck out.

beachmaster
02-20-2008, 06:13 PM
A balance must be achieved between safeguarding individual liberties and providing America's defenders with the tools to be successful.

And the scales of this "balance" will perpetually lean more and more toward "providing America's defenders with the tools to be successful" and away from safeguarding individual liberties. Yeah, we know where that slippery slope leads. (Don't need to educate anyone on this board about that.)

Tell you what you treasonous Senator... I think I'd much rather keep my goddamn liberties, and take my chances with the rudimentary hooligans with AK-47s who hide in mountains half way across the world rather than take my chances that you will not further encroach on my rights to life, liberty, property and the pursuit of happiness.

I watched the president the other day saying "we are trying to protect you!". Anytime the federal government says that, you better run!