PDA

View Full Version : Why We Should Drop the "Dr." Moniker, Ron Paul

The Proservative
02-14-2008, 09:02 PM
What do you think about politicians running using the "Dr" moniker? I have a feeling that you lose some votes possibly because of the "Dr", with an average voter thinking too much into it, "Maybe the guy thinks he's elite, better than us because he a Doctor", or "Who does he think he is?" kind of mentality. I have the utmost respect for someone's dedication and hard work to become earn a doctorate, and don't think someone should hide their accomplishments, however if you're trying to convery what's best for the people, who knows them better, I think addressing a candidate as simple "Ron Paul" for example bring him down to the people, closer, more "attainable". Again, I'm talking your average voter here. This is maybe why Ron Paul did so poorly amongst Christians (evangelicals) even though he was pro-llife. People see "Dr" as maybe putting more faith in science than in God.

Finally, it also possible that in previous times, the moniker "Dr" was viewed with extreme admiration and respect. But, unfortunately with the health care situation as it is, media stories of celebs overdosing on Doctor prescribed medication, the pro athelete being prescribed steroids, plastic surgeons making mistakes, "big pharma" etc, the moniker "Dr" is viewed now in the public area as somewhat negative, and definitely not "of the people".

My opinion is to just drop the "Dr", as is my advise to Ron Paul. It's sure to be a hard pill to swallow for the Dr's, having to "dumb down" maybe there accomplishments, however they are running for a public office, and thus should to try to come as close to the public as they can, in action, policy, and even in name.

Thoughts?

Sandra
02-14-2008, 09:03 PM
I'll call him "Dr".

The Proservative
02-14-2008, 09:09 PM
I will too out of respect, but I don't think it's helping his campaign. This is a sincere question, because I have no idea: Has there been any high ranking public official elected that was known as a Doctor?

The One
02-14-2008, 09:12 PM
I think you're over-thinking it, and I doubt it's had any impact on anything.

SL89
02-14-2008, 09:19 PM
As for me, I feel more comforted by the possibility of a Doctor as President than all of the lawyers that have gone before.
This is an absolute stupid argument and post.
I love the good old Dr. Congressman Paul moniker. He is distinguished and should be celebrated as such!

Once again Stupid post !!!!!

Chibioz
02-14-2008, 09:21 PM
I don't know of any negative associations with the Dr. prefix, if anything it adds to his prestige.

The Proservative
02-14-2008, 09:24 PM
OK, but we're all supporters, so yeah...I guess it was a dumb question to ask current Dr. Ron Paul supporters :)

But, maybe try to think outside the box, in someone else's shoes. Go ask someone that didn't vote for the good Doctor, lmk what you get.

Kotin
you silly Proservatives.

sophocles07
To be honest, when I first saw it here at the forums, it struck me as a little strange, a kind of cult-thing. Though I know this to be untrue, I'm just saying it struck me like that at first.

I agree, though, used in introductions, etc., it just makes him seem more qualified, intelligent, etc., to KNOW what he's talking about.

The One
02-14-2008, 09:25 PM
OK, but we're all supporters, so yeah...I guess it was a dumb question to ask current Dr. Ron Paul supporters :)

But, maybe try to think outside the box, in someone else's shoes. Go ask someone that didn't vote for the good Doctor, lmk what you get.

I have a feeling that if I ask people who didn't vote for Dr. Ron Paul, they're going to reply, "Dr. Who???"

The Proservative
02-14-2008, 09:42 PM
you silly Proservatives.

wacky sometimes even ;)

Dr.3D
02-14-2008, 10:10 PM
~SNIP People see "Dr" as maybe putting more faith in science than in God. SNIP~

Did Dr. Martin Luther King have this problem?

Dr.3D
02-14-2008, 10:11 PM
Sorry double post.

The Proservative
02-14-2008, 10:19 PM
Did Dr. Martin Luther King have this problem?

Did he run for office? I'm not saying it doesn't give his arguments, statements more credibility in the public forum...I'm saying it makes him less electable.

For the average Joe, which is the majority of America, simply get turned off by ANY kind of "flash". Typicial response "Dr? Who does he think he is, better than all of us?" (again, not my view, but a very possible one by other)

Or this "Oh, excuse me DR know it all"...you get the point.

This horse is almost on its last leg ;)

Elliott
02-14-2008, 10:39 PM
I use "Dr. Paul" to emphasize that he is a medical doctor; which I consider to be among the noblest of professions. This draws great comparison to the trial lawyers, lobbyists, heirs, and political-bloodline candidates that he opposes.

Elliott
02-14-2008, 10:44 PM
Did he run for office? I'm not saying it doesn't give his arguments, statements more credibility in the public forum...I'm saying it makes him less electable.

For the average Joe, which is the majority of America, simply get turned off by ANY kind of "flash". Typicial response "Dr? Who does he think he is, better than all of us?" (again, not my view, but a very possible one by other)

Or this "Oh, excuse me DR know it all"...you get the point.

This horse is almost on its last leg ;)

The difference between Dr. Paul and "Dr." Martin Luther King, Jr. (aka Michael King) is that Dr. Paul is a medical doctor (or physician) and MLK was bestowed a PhD. through the submission of a dubious (and many say plagiarized) dissertation.

Honestly, I don't think anyone who is not a medical doctor should wear the "Dr." title outside of an academic setting. It's pompous and it's often irrelevant. If someone is has a PhD in European Poetry they are technically a "Doctor," but that sure doesn't mean they know anything about anything else.

Goldwater Conservative
02-14-2008, 10:59 PM
Congress has an approval rating in the teens. People think by a wide margin that government is broken, politicians are corrupt, and the lawyers who usually run for public office are the biggest crooks around. I think being a doctor is still considered one of the most honorable professions. I say we continue calling him Dr. Paul. :)

IPSecure
02-14-2008, 11:13 PM
I will call him Doctor, because he has earned it!

Sounds like yet another post trying spin the fact that the opponents do not have this kind of credibility, and worthwhile respect.

minitri97
02-14-2008, 11:48 PM
I agree with the orginal poster. My first reaction to everyone referring to him as "Dr" paul was that everyone was a bit brainwashed. How long has he been in office? I think Congressman Paul is a much better title. I believe one that is currently practicing medicine or one that practiced medicine his whole career would be better called "Dr".

tamor
02-14-2008, 11:50 PM
I think people are respectful of "Dr." even if they do not know if it is a medical doctor or a doctorate in an educational field

minitri97
02-14-2008, 11:55 PM
I think people are respectful of "Dr." even if they do not know if it is a medical doctor or a doctorate in an educational field

Personally, I believe that "Dr"s regardless of their field are a big problem with our country. I've met some that are completely clueless and some that just had rich parents. There is ABSOLUTELY no profession that should require 8 years of college. It is a waste of resources.

Devil_rules_in_extremes
02-15-2008, 12:02 AM
I call Dr. Paul "Dr. Paul" because he has earned his title as an M.D.

It's just a respect thing for me.

Revolution9
02-15-2008, 12:19 AM
I agree with the orginal poster. My first reaction to everyone referring to him as "Dr" paul was that everyone was a bit brainwashed. How long has he been in office? I think Congressman Paul is a much better title. I believe one that is currently practicing medicine or one that practiced medicine his whole career would be better called "Dr".

You don't deliver 4000+ babies in an overnight session. Even at one a day that is over 11 years of continuous activity. Care to eat your words?

HTH
Randy

Revolution9
02-15-2008, 12:21 AM
Personally, I believe that "Dr"s regardless of their field are a big problem with our country. I've met some that are completely clueless and some that just had rich parents. There is ABSOLUTELY no profession that should require 8 years of college. It is a waste of resources.

Then let a cop do surgery on you. They only require 6 months of training.

HTH
Randy

libertarian4321
02-15-2008, 12:42 AM
What do you think about politicians running using the "Dr" moniker? I have a feeling that you lose some votes possibly because of the "Dr", with an average voter thinking too much into it, "Maybe the guy thinks he's elite, better than us because he a Doctor", or "Who does he think he is?" kind of mentality. I have the utmost respect for someone's dedication and hard work to become earn a doctorate, and don't think someone should hide their accomplishments, however if you're trying to convery what's best for the people, who knows them better, I think addressing a candidate as simple "Ron Paul" for example bring him down to the people, closer, more "attainable". Again, I'm talking your average voter here. This is maybe why Ron Paul did so poorly amongst Christians (evangelicals) even though he was pro-llife. People see "Dr" as maybe putting more faith in science than in God.

Finally, it also possible that in previous times, the moniker "Dr" was viewed with extreme admiration and respect. But, unfortunately with the health care situation as it is, media stories of celebs overdosing on Doctor prescribed medication, the pro athelete being prescribed steroids, plastic surgeons making mistakes, "big pharma" etc, the moniker "Dr" is viewed now in the public area as somewhat negative, and definitely not "of the people".

My opinion is to just drop the "Dr", as is my advise to Ron Paul. It's sure to be a hard pill to swallow for the Dr's, having to "dumb down" maybe there accomplishments, however they are running for a public office, and thus should to try to come as close to the public as they can, in action, policy, and even in name.

Thoughts?

He's an MD. I have never known an MD, whether the humblest small town general practitioner or the greatest heart surgeon in the world, who wasn't routinely addressed as Dr.

It would be different if he had a PhD in fine arts and insisted on being called "Dr"- that kind of person is generally a D-bag, but MDs are called Dr., thats just the way it is.

On top of that, in a Republican Party dominated by intellectual midgets like Bush and McCain, I think its good that people know Dr. Paul isn't just another idiot.

So I hope Dr. Paul keeps fighting the good fight.

libertarian4321
02-15-2008, 12:47 AM

Sorry, I don't want the guy who's about to repair a valve in my heart doing "on the job training".

We are talking about a Medical Doctor here, not an insurance salesman. If you learn on the job in insurance or sales or as a cook, no one dies. I expect a Dr. to have as much knowledge as possible before he starts cutting...

minitri97
02-15-2008, 01:13 AM
You don't deliver 4000+ babies in an overnight session. Even at one a day that is over 11 years of continuous activity. Care to eat your words?

HTH
Randy

Hm....are you able to comprehend the english language? What I am saying is that a doctor does not need 8 years of school to do the job. The first four years of that contain an alarming amount of crap. Do I want my doctor to be trained in medicine....yes. Do I want my doctor to have to take classes in theater, english, algebra, physical education, history, government, foreign language.....NO!!!!!

However, they are forced to take these classes so that big business, oops, I mean universities can make more money.

HARD_PLANET
02-15-2008, 01:57 AM
TELL YOUR FRIENDS THAT OUR "MOVEMENT" IS TO RESTORE AMERICA BACK TO THE GREATNESS IT ONCE WAS.... THE DR, SOUNDS GREAT FOR THIS TASK

NOW, CAN WE FOCUS ON REAL ISSUES? :confused:

http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/656/ronpaulfa2py6.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

http://img179.imageshack.us/img179/5042/chipdeesou3.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Kludge
02-15-2008, 03:36 AM
I like Dr. because it's definitive. He is a doctor. Mr. sounds too comfortable and President sounds arrogant. Mr. Paul.... Just doesn't sound right.

Liberté
02-15-2008, 03:46 AM

Thoughts?

The Dr. only helps him, especially when they find out he has deliverd over 4000+ babies, it makes him uniquely qualified to discuss Pro-life issues. Doctors are still highly trusted by most in our society. So keep the Dr.

Liberté
02-15-2008, 03:49 AM
Hm....are you able to comprehend the english language? What I am saying is that a doctor does not need 8 years of school to do the job. The first four years of that contain an alarming amount of crap. Do I want my doctor to be trained in medicine....yes. Do I want my doctor to have to take classes in theater, english, algebra, physical education, history, government, foreign language.....NO!!!!!

However, they are forced to take these classes so that big business, oops, I mean universities can make more money.

There is a reason for those classes, being a doctor is far more than just applied medicine and theory. Liberal Arts round out the Medical Candidates, test and built their logic processes, and even help with their bedside manner.

PA's and NP;s don't require liberal arts/math, but an MD, OD, and ND certainly do.

austin356
02-15-2008, 11:20 AM
Voted 1 star for stupidity.

Dr. Paul has a very high dissapproval rating, but I can promise you the Dr. Label only been a benefit. Americans do not see doctors as "elites", they see the names Kennedy, Clinton, Bush, etc etc as the elitists. Americans are tired of people with JDs and if asked I think they would choose a MD over a JD anyday.

freelance
02-15-2008, 12:01 PM
I will too out of respect, but I don't think it's helping his campaign. This is a sincere question, because I have no idea: Has there been any high ranking public official elected that was known as a Doctor?

For the most part, Dr. is an earned title, particularly MD. Contrast that to Congressman/Senator, etc., a mostly bought position these days.

I prefer Dr. and will continue to use it, if for no other reason than it differentiates RP from the pack.

Just Come Home
02-15-2008, 01:15 PM
You can drop "Dr." if you want to. You'll never get me to do it though.

jumpyg1258
02-15-2008, 01:24 PM
I have a feeling that if I ask people who didn't vote for Dr. Ron Paul, they're going to reply, "Dr. Who???"

I love that TV show!

In the latest season when The Master said on TV in the show "What this country needs is a doctor" I said yup, Dr. Paul! :D

SimpleName
02-15-2008, 08:17 PM
When talking to the average person, using the term "Dr.. Paul", probably will just confuse them. I restrain from using it outside of Paulite-centered areas,but it may be a wonderful surprise to some casual news watchers who make the generalization that only lawyers and businessmen run for office. But personally, i feel like it is a respectful thing to call him and it adds an intelligent aura around the campaign. I can't see how it hurts on this forum though. lol...bad organization there. Just thoughts

The Proservative
02-15-2008, 08:17 PM
Thanks for all the feedback guys, just wanted to throw some food for thought out there. I actually do like the "Dr", but it doesn't really matter if "I" like it, it's do the GENERAL VOTING PUBLIC like it, and is Ron Paul losing votes because of it. Try to think beyond "you", because yall voted for him :) so you're not the problem :)

I also agree that "Mr." Paul sounds dumb, but you never address a pres candidate like that anyways. It would be either Ron Paul, or Congressman Ron Paul.

rockandrollsouls
02-15-2008, 08:35 PM
Dr. is his title, why shouldn't you use it? Instead of calling him Mr. Paul you say Dr. Paul. You could still use congressman paul but I've always been taught if someone has the title of Dr. you use Dr. as opposed to mr.

The Proservative
02-15-2008, 08:46 PM
We'll yeah, but I'm just talking about if it effects his electability by, let's say, less than informed persons.

Think big picture, so far I'm getting a lot of "I won't and you can't make me" :) When meeting Ron Paul in person, I address him "Dr. Paul", and rightly so. But, I'd bet dollars to donuts that campaigning a US President as "Dr." doesn't help his chances with average America.