PDA

View Full Version : Were Just Getting Started.... (My Iowa Thoughts)

UtahApocalypse
08-13-2007, 04:08 PM
This weekend was the Iowa straw poll. This event which is a fund raiser for the Iowa GOP is typically a bellwether for a candidates organization. This year the event lost some of it's prowess with both John McCain and Rudy Giuliani skipping out.

The straw poll is something akin to a carnival. There were multiple tents around, plenty of food, and yes even a ferris wheel. To get a ticket for the event was $35, but don't worry most of the campaigns had bought plenty. A few candidates even had residents bused in from all over the state.

Ron Paul had only been able to campaign for the last week. His campaign had bought 500 tickets, all paid for by supporters. What Congressman Paul did have was a dedicated grassroots support. One group of supporters had designed, and financed a ad to be placed in a Iowa paper. More than 200 supporter attended the straw poll to assist from around the country.

In the early afternoon each candidate was able to give a 20 minute speech to those attending. As each candidate spoke they were allowed to have 200 supporters in the "mosh" area in front of the stage. Dr. Paul's group entered being led by pipe and drum group. The supporters were the most active, loud, and energetic of any of the groups.

Congressman Paul addressed the Iowa voters about many issues; he pointed out that Roe v. Wade should be abolished and left for states to decide. He talked about how our foreign policies have gotten us into the quagmire we are currently in. He was stron about securing our borders and defending our nation. the speech was well recieved by most of the crowd.

Finally about a hour and half after the scheduled time the results were announced. As expected Mitt Romney was in first place with 4516 votes and 31.5%. He was followed by Mike Huckabee, Sam Brownback, and Tom Tancredo. Ron Paul finished in 5th place with 1305 vote for 9.1%. Finishing off the pack were; Tommy Thompson, Fred Thompson, Rudy Giuliani, Duncan Hunter, John McCain, and lastly John Cox.

Some would consider this a loss for the good doctor. I on the other hand am pleased. Yes, I would have preferred a higher ranking but here are the good points; 9.1% is about 3 times what the media has been reporting with only 2%. The campaign had only spent approximately $200 per a vote received total (Mitt Romney spent about $2200) Ron Paul only campaigned for one week, while everyone placing above him had spent a month or more.

Ron Paul is not giving up, we are not throwing in the towel. Quite the opposite, we have seen what is possible with very little effort. Now the campaign will start into full swing. We have gained momentum and much support in the first 4 months. Our campaign is steadily raising in the number while others are fulling off rapidly (Tommy Thompson dropped out completely today) Some may count out Dr. Paul, While honestly were just getting started.

Original_Intent
08-13-2007, 04:13 PM
This is exactly how I feel.

We totally destroyed any "official" polling number that we were given.

Considering the time effort and money dedicated to Iowa we did extremely well, and I feully expect things to be much better for us in New Hampshire. When is their Straw Poll, or do they have one of these type of events like Iowa?

fj45lvr
08-13-2007, 04:17 PM
HOWEVER....what is depressing is the fact that Dr. Paul stands alone in the Republican crowd for Less of everything and a sane foreign policy....when you consider that the crowd heard his speech and yet 90% of the folks are still willing to support the "same ol same old" it does not bode well.

I just have a hard time with the fact that people could sit through his speech and it didn't resonate...I think overall America is doomed...despite the fact that there are "prophets in the wilderness" sounding the ALARM message that is light in the darkness. That is the most disturbing part of it all....the people themselves.

DjLoTi
08-13-2007, 04:18 PM
Ron received the most votes per day on the ground, with something like 74. something...

Mike Huckabee on the other hand had only 34. something... votes per day.

we are still strong, and more importantly, we have the grassroots structure to continue to grow... and we need to use them!

Spike
08-13-2007, 04:24 PM
I read somewhere that this is like an open source campaign. Were making history, if we keep doing what we've been doing, we'll reach even more people. Ron Paul is the only canidate who has international support. That says alot about our 21st century populist movement.

Spirit of '76
08-13-2007, 04:32 PM
HOWEVER....what is depressing is the fact that Dr. Paul stands alone in the Republican crowd for Less of everything and a sane foreign policy....when you consider that the crowd heard his speech and yet 90% of the folks are still willing to support the "same ol same old" it does not bode well.

I just have a hard time with the fact that people could sit through his speech and it didn't resonate...I think overall America is doomed...despite the fact that there are "prophets in the wilderness" sounding the ALARM message that is light in the darkness. That is the most disturbing part of it all....the people themselves.

But that begs the question:

How many people had already voted before the speeches took place?

robatsu
08-13-2007, 04:47 PM
I think that very few minds were changed at the event, most people came knowing who they were going to vote for, or were supposed to vote for.

Iowa gave us ammo to counter the argument that RP is more than just two hackers in their jammies. It also showed that hard work has effect, considering the position of RP had a couple of months ago when "lunatic fringe" was at least somewhat a credible allegation. But it also shows how much work is left to be done and what we are up against.

FWIW, I wrote the comments on LRC about the open source campaign, which are included below (please, I'm entitled to my thoughts on desktop Linux :o )

I started thinking about the economics of the unofficial campaign when I saw the results of the supporters who whipped together a full page ad for the Ames paper in a couple of days. Wonderful result that would have taken weeks and lots of 'buckage' from a PR firm, assuming that they could even put together something as good as that.

Anyhow, the unofficial RP campaign has a lot of similarities with open source efforts, which I deal with a lot in my startup software company. The dispersal of effort among dedicated volunteers can produce excellent results. We see that in open source, where the best of the applications are better than direct commercial competitors.

Given that much of the RP unofficial campaign has arisen on the net among the tech savvy, the similarity between it and open source organizing principles is hardly coincidental.

However, open source doesn't always work - the next biggest thing for some years has been desktop Linux, which remains problematic. Office applications are pretty lame, and open source has utterly failed in the CAD arena, despite this being a huge and interesting area. So one could be worrying, is a campaign something that works as open source, or is this just a lot of wasted effort that could be better spent elsewhere, or what sort of decisions are all these loons going to be making and can they be trusted?

Well, the real beauty of open source is that in addition to producing excellent results in certain areas is that it also ends up being a very efficient allocator of resources. Loser projects never get very far because the participants bail or don't attract much participation in the first place. Collectively, the herd generally spends its resources on winnable battles much more efficiently than commercial/government development efforts, where loser projects can stagger on for years sucking up resources.

So it is nearly paradigmatic that big efforts by the unofficial campaign will be successful, it is the collective betting by the participants that gets enough resources to initiate a project. And we've seen this so far in nearly all the issues that this group has focused on - online polls, SC, Iowans for Tax Reform, etc. Bad ideas just languish on ronpaulforums.com without any takers.

Sort of fascinating to see this in action.

tiznow
08-13-2007, 04:50 PM

most are wisked away immediately to the voting booths the minute they step off their bus. I'm sure Dr. Paul's speech as well as the grassroots support that was by far the most prevalent on the straw poll grounds swayed alot of people's sentiment his way and these are people that will likely be partcipating in the caucuses come janurary.

UtahApocalypse
08-13-2007, 06:42 PM
most are wisked away immediately to the voting booths the minute they step off their bus. I'm sure Dr. Paul's speech as well as the grassroots support that was by far the most prevalent on the straw poll grounds swayed alot of people's sentiment his way and these are people that will likely be partcipating in the caucuses come janurary.

On lady talked to Jeff on justin.tv and stated that she had voted when they arrived, for Mitt. After hearing Ron Paul she immediately went to his tent to learn more. She wished that she could go back and change her vote.

wbbgjr
08-13-2007, 06:45 PM
If Romney was smart, I'm sure that the people were whisked to the polling booth right after they got off the bus. What good would it have been for his campaign to give anyone time to change their minds.