PDA

View Full Version : When did Romney drop out?

stevekerp
02-14-2008, 08:11 PM
I never heard that Romney officially dropped out; just that he 'suspended' his campaign. He was saying that he would stop his active campaign (quit wasting his money) but that alone did not release his delegates, or prevent him from continuing. And presumably he is still a candidate and his name would continue to appear on the ballots of the remaining primaries.

Now ... today ... he's supporting McCain and asking his delegates to support McCain at the convention. So did he formally drop out of the campaign? Or is he maintaining a presence so if McCain doesn't win the first ballot, Romney can try again??

I think it's fairly clear that whatever he's doing, he is part of a GOP strategy to eliminate Dr. Paul. For you strategic thinkers out there, what is REALLY going on?

WilliamC
02-14-2008, 08:15 PM
Sounds like Romney flip-flopped again.

First he was suspending his campaign, but then he changed his mind and endorsed McCain.

Mystile
02-14-2008, 08:17 PM
Sounds like Romney flip-flopped again.

First he was suspending his campaign, but then he changed his mind and endorsed McCain.

and then he's going to endorse the Dems after he realizes that the GOP is going to get slaughtered.

Eponym_mi
02-14-2008, 08:17 PM
Yeah, after this, he is definitely out. So, I'd look at this as a positive because the Flipper was still getting votes. Now, they'll have to remove him from the ballot.

CorkyAgain
02-14-2008, 09:22 PM
Yeah, after this, he is definitely out. So, I'd look at this as a positive because the Flipper was still getting votes. Now, they'll have to remove him from the ballot.

No, it's a negative because delegates that were committed to vote for Romney have been released from that commitment and have been told to vote for McCain --- bringing McCain that much closer to locking up the nomination.

I've heard that some of Romney's committed delegates might actually be RP people but I'm guessing there won't be enough of these to stop McCain.
:(

Joseph Hart
02-14-2008, 09:27 PM
Febuary 4th he suspended/"dropped out"
He endorsed McCain without dropping out... maybe riding on the VP deal?

nate895
02-14-2008, 09:31 PM
No, it's a negative because delegates that were committed to vote for Romney have been released from that commitment and have been told to vote for McCain --- bringing McCain that much closer to locking up the nomination.

I've heard that some of Romney's committed delegates might actually be RP people but I'm guessing there won't be enough of these to stop McCain.
:(

He can't tell his delegates what to do. He has absolutely no control over them. They are now free to vote their conscious at the convention. The delegates could vote to nominate Ms. Piggy and it would be totally against the control of anybody on the convention. On the bright side we have officially gotten our five states. Everyone celebrate.

Molly1
02-14-2008, 09:44 PM
He can't tell his delegates what to do. He has absolutely no control over them. They are now free to vote their conscious at the convention. The delegates could vote to nominate Ms. Piggy and it would be totally against the control of anybody on the convention. On the bright side we have officially gotten our five states. Everyone celebrate.

Or the delegates could vote to nominate Ron Paul, all 200 plus of them. :D

Keep picking up delegate positions, Ron Paul supporters.

See you at the convention! :)

It's in your hands now.

CorkyAgain
02-14-2008, 11:06 PM
He can't tell his delegates what to do. He has absolutely no control over them. They are now free to vote their conscious at the convention.

Agreed. He can tell them what he'd like them to do, but they're free to go against his wishes.

I expect, however, that many of them -- perhaps even most of them -- will go to McCain. When they lined up behind Romney in the first place, they already showed that they don't have a problem with warmongering. Romney was also one of the media-anointed "electables" and many of his supporters were "horse-race" voters trying to pick the winner rather than someone who reflected their principles.

The chances of a brokered convention were already slim. Now they're even slimmer. :(

nate895
02-14-2008, 11:08 PM
Agreed. He can tell them what he'd like them to do, but they're free to go against his wishes.

I expect, however, that many of them -- perhaps even most of them -- will go to McCain. When they lined up behind Romney in the first place, they already showed that they don't have a problem with warmongering. Romney was also one of the media-anointed "electables" and many of his supporters were "horse-race" voters trying to pick the winner rather than someone who reflected their principles.

The chances of a brokered convention were already slim. Now they're even slimmer. :(

They will go to Huckabee, but also remember we have many sleeper delegates.