PDA

View Full Version : Support versus Votes Question at GeorgeTown

rexsolomon
02-14-2008, 07:30 PM
http://people.ronpaul2008.com/campaign-updates/2008/02/14/georgetown-wrap-up/

http://www.georgetownvoice.com/2008-02-14/news/ron-paul-talks-money-and-voting-in-gaston-hall

“Why aren’t we getting more votes?” Paul asked. “It is a problem. I don’t have it fully explained, but there’s only one law I’m proposing … From now on we’re going to have our elections on the internet.”

Paul called the nature of his support “a two-edged sword for us. It was an independent campaign but it was laissez-faire,” he said.

William Galston, a Senior Fellow at the Brookings Institution, said that Paul lacked relevance to the 2008 election because of his failure to expand his base or effectively use the money he raised.

“This guy has been flying solo all his life and the idea of building an organization and actually making strategic investments in a campaign is just not the way he’s ever thought,” he said.

What's your take on the question: “Why aren’t we getting more votes?” Should it not be a priority to find a realistic, honest and truthful explanation?

For whatever it is worth now, here's mine:

The most significant problems that beset the Ron Paul Campaign:

1. The presumption that "the message has no faults" was incorrect. "The message" as a whole - was generally frightening or repugnant to voters who heard it for the first time or did not have any prior knowledge about the subject matter.

No attempt was made to refine "the message" during the campaign, so that it remained completely truthful, yet more appealing and more easily understood by the majority of the voting public.

2. Dr. Paul should have used prepared speeches - whenever it was possible, similar to those prepared speeches he gave Congress, rather than purely extemporaneous speeches - most especially if the speech exceeded 20 minutes. Dr. Paul should have had one or two speechwriters assisting him.

3. Grassroots efforts to resolve items 1 and 2 were totally ignored. Grassroots expertise was never utilized.

A presidential campaign cannot be run in a 'laissez-faire' manner or a 'Revolution run on the premise of convenience'. Even the ancient generals understood that it was their SOLE responsibility to prevent the troops from dropping their arms, dispersing and heading for home.

Grassroots leaders were never truly empowered by the official campaign as recognized lieutenants - which is not organizationally and functionally the same as precinct leaders/watchers/canvassers (exceedingly valuable though they may be).

William Galston's comments in GeorgeTownVoice about about the offical campaign's failure to build an organization is essentially correct. Sadly this was flagged very early on in the campaign but was never acted upon.

4. No attempt was made to protect the donation base. The expectation was that money bombs would continue regardless of caucus and primary results. The official website was very slow to rally 'the troops' when encouragement was most sorely needed. With regard to moneybomb donations, the principle of 'value for value' was disregarded by the official campaign.

Simply there was no agility and no nimbleness in the official campaign. No adaptation was ever attempted. This is indeed a telling reflection.

Biggest mistakes still being made today:

1. It is NOT too late to correct the above mistakes. The nominations have not been finalized. November is still several months away.

2. Marching on DC without addressing items 1 to 4 would be foolish.

3. If the movement gains massive participation in numbers and donations despite a McCain nomination, Dr. Paul should go third party.

4. Dr. Paul should publicly announce that his son, Rand Paul will be his likely successor to lead the Revolution.

Akus
02-14-2008, 07:34 PM
I blame the grassroots for poor organization of the voter contact. After hearing all those "Ron Paul people were calling folks at eleven o'clock at night" stories I was like, we're fucked.

I also blame the nothing-doers. Our support is huge, but, apparently, waving a sign and putting a bumper sticker on a car and screaming rarara go Ron Paul on the internetz is much easier then actually to register Republican and go the the city hall and cast a vote.

I also blame Ron Paul for not being more angry and attacking his opponents more and destroying them.

nate895
02-14-2008, 07:43 PM
The problem in this campaign was a lack of a sound strategy to perform in the early states. I remember after Iowa, where we got ~10,000 votes, information surfaced that there were 20,000 registered supporters in Iowa. If only 4,000 more supporters would have showed up, we would have come in third, and if all 20,000 would have showed up we would have gotten almost 20%, that could have forced Thompson to drop earlier, and Fox to allow us at the forum before New Hampshire, as well as enough momentum to get third in New Hampshire. Maybe enough momentum to get double digits in Michigan and then win Nevada and a third place in South Carolina. Paul could have been one of the only two left today, and he could well be closing in on the lead if only 4,000-10,000 people would have showed up in Iowa.

Akus
02-14-2008, 07:47 PM
The problem in this campaign was a lack of a sound strategy to perform in the early states. I remember after Iowa, where we got ~10,000 votes, information surfaced that there were 20,000 registered supporters in Iowa. If only 4,000 more supporters would have showed up, we would have come in third, and if all 20,000 would have showed up we would have gotten almost 20%, that could have forced Thompson to drop earlier, and Fox to allow us at the forum before New Hampshire, as well as enough momentum to get third in New Hampshire. Maybe enough momentum to get double digits in Michigan and then win Nevada and a third place in South Carolina. Paul could have been one of the only two left today, and he could well be closing in on the lead if only 4,000-10,000 people would have showed up in Iowa.

This problem, to add to your post, would have been a non issue, if the seasoned pros handled this, not amateur first timers who are full of energy and enthusiasm, but have zero skill in how to conduct the campaign. That could have been Ron Paul's face on the first page of all newspapers and that alone would generate more advertisement then double the entire war chest Ron Paul has. Even Fox news would be forced to admit that Ron Paul is not just a domain of l33t internet nerds.

bcreps85
02-14-2008, 07:49 PM
Personally, I think the grassroots has done great. We've gotten a very large amount of votes considering most of them are from talking to people one on one to convince them to vote for our man, even if they don't believe he can win. That is a tough mountain to climb.

Were there mistakes? Sure...but overall we did good.

The real problem, I think, is that most people are not comfortable enough to discuss politics because they are too ignorant to actually debate them with others. These are the people sitting at home letting Faux decide for them. They outnumber us. IMO, it is a matter of exposure by the MSM, or lack thereof mostly...

We have INTELLIGENT votes. We lack the votes of SHEEPLE.

Oh, and the last thing...we focussed too many efforts on the internet, where he already has a lot of support. Should have used that energy elsewhere.

rexsolomon
02-14-2008, 08:21 PM
mostly...

We have INTELLIGENT votes. We lack the votes of SHEEPLE.

I remember a lot of posts begging to 'dumb it (the message) down'.

Sadly it was never done. There were thousands of suggestions collected in a thread on this section, as requested by Dr. Paul himself.

None, to my knowledge were acted upon in a timely fashion.

Mystile
02-14-2008, 08:23 PM
it was uphill battle from the beginning and I think we did damn fine, tho not perfect. Congressman....low name recognition...against the establishment and party....that's just asking to be ignored.