PDA

View Full Version : What do you project for the TX Primary?

VRP08
02-14-2008, 05:36 PM
You know how they always project who is going to do good or bad ? What do you project for Ron Paul in Texas? How good/bad do you think we will do?

nate895
02-14-2008, 05:38 PM
He'll get 5 delegates, 3 from his home district, 2 from the Austin District, and that is about it.

Huckabee better kick ass though, otherwise this ride is over.

98Tokay
02-14-2008, 05:48 PM
There will be voting of some sort in favor of a candidate of some sort.

malibuu
02-14-2008, 05:50 PM
It would be real nice to do well -

a big Ron Paul rally is at Fort Hood this weekend I think.

GO LONGHORNS and AGGIES!

Jesubub
02-14-2008, 05:53 PM
He'll kick ass in Austin, for sure. Texas' rural areas aren't much different that other rural areas -- Huckabee country.

Polls, for what it's worth:

http://www.pollster.com/08TXPresReps600.png (http://www.pollster.com/08-TX-Rep-Pres-Primary.php)

pacelli
02-14-2008, 06:09 PM
Wait until a day or two before, you'll have plenty of very emphatic predictions for us to take #1.

patriotcalendar
02-14-2008, 06:26 PM
Wow -- that is a most *cough*unnatural*cough* line on McCain's graph. :rolleyes:

I agree.. Schmuckabee pwns Texas rural areas. I hope we can act fast to counter in this demographic! It's DO or DIE time! Let's get the good Doctor a decent showing!

We need to make >> THIS << (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=120158) fly!

malibuu
02-14-2008, 06:40 PM
Wow -- that is a most *cough*unnatural*cough* line on McCain's graph. :rolleyes:

Yep, what a sham the demented, malignant melanoma sufferer and Panama-born
ineligible to be POTUS McCain has conned the Republican Party in to believing after the Bhutto assassination.

Well, at least McLame has no chance in November against Obama or Hitler E. Clinton.

VRP08
02-14-2008, 06:47 PM
What would happen/change if we did really well?

nate895
02-14-2008, 06:49 PM

Nothing unless McCain comes in a distant third, getting no delegates, and Huckabee wins Ohio.

hyoomen
02-14-2008, 06:52 PM

There would be widespread calls for investigations of voter fraud? ;)

Realistically I think Texas will be an average of the most extreme wins (Nevada, Louisiana) and the most extreme losses (Maryland, D.C., Cali, etc). You'll see some areas do statistically well, but overall most people in Texas aren't going to be intellectually different than people in the rest of the country.

Maybe something crazy will happen to turn this around, though. Just maybe.

nate895
02-14-2008, 06:54 PM
There would be widespread calls for investigations of voter fraud? ;)

Realistically I think Texas will be an average of the most extreme wins (Nevada, Louisiana) and the most extreme losses (Maryland, D.C., Cali, etc). You'll see some areas do statistically well, but overall most people in Texas aren't going to be intellectually different than people in the rest of the country.

Maybe something crazy will happen to turn this around, though. Just maybe.

John McCain explodes and kills Huckabee for challenging his coronation at the MSNBC Debate? Who knows? It could happen.

malibuu
02-14-2008, 06:56 PM

McCain needs to get slammed by the honorable constitutionalist voters
in Wisconsin, Ohio, Texas . . . and then in April in Pennsylvania getting only about 30 % in each state -
then we go to the convention to decide the nominee with no one over 50% -

it is that simple.

nate895
02-14-2008, 06:58 PM
McCain needs to get slammed by the honorable constitutionalist voters
in Wisconsin, Ohio, Texas . . . and then in April in Pennsylvania getting only about 30 % in each state -
then we go to the convention to decide the nominee with no one over 50% -

it is that simple.

That's nearly impossible. I'm routing for Huckabee to kick serious ass in upcoming primaries.

lucius
02-14-2008, 07:07 PM
I project it will be one of my greatest days when I cast my vote for Dr. Paul--Dr. Paul cured my political apathy.

malibuu
02-14-2008, 07:09 PM
That's nearly impossible.

Yes, I recognize you are right nate895 . . .

but it IS possible if the Badger State, and Buckeyes, Longhorns, and the Keystone/Quaker State ( I did have to look that one up)
voters don't get so brainwashed by the media pundits and think before they vote.

malibuu
02-15-2008, 10:29 AM
a big Ron Paul rally is at Fort Hood this weekend I think.

Texas friends have informed me that the Fort Hood events are for next week -
Mon 02.18, Wed 02.20 , and Friday 02.22 (with RP to speak ).

You do not need a military sticker or anything as it is off base.

More details after class this afternoon.

thoughtbombing
02-15-2008, 10:32 AM
hello Manchurian candidate?

SWATH
02-15-2008, 10:35 AM
Is the campaign going to actually run ads in the state? Like real main stream tv ads? As sickening as it sounds, I think the vast majority of voters still have no idea who he is. If the campaign decide to drop the ball and just rely on the notion that most voters actually research the candidates on their own, then I think instead of a march on Washington we will need a march on HQ.

terlinguatx
02-15-2008, 10:35 AM

terlinguatx
02-15-2008, 10:36 AM
[QUOTE

Patronus
02-15-2008, 10:37 AM
huge rally at the university of texas on the 23rd

http://ronpaulaustin.com/feb23

02-15-2008, 11:38 AM
Something everyone seems to forget, and I apologize because I didn't read all the responses if this was mentioned, but Texas is more or less a COMPLETELY OPEN primary.

You actually declare your party affiliation for the upcoming general election based on which primary you vote in, if at all.

Ron Paul Democrats, then, get a chance to vote for him here.

I wouldn't be surprised if we pulled 15-20% when all is said and done. More than that would be a big boost to the campaign. Unfortunately, as a congressman, he just doesn't have the statewide name recognition.

IPSecure
02-15-2008, 11:45 AM
Something everyone seems to forget, and I apologize because I didn't read all the responses if this was mentioned, but Texas is more or less a COMPLETELY OPEN primary.

You actually declare your party affiliation for the upcoming general election based on which primary you vote in, if at all.

Ron Paul Democrats, then, get a chance to vote for him here.

I wouldn't be surprised if we pulled 15-20% when all is said and done. More than that would be a big boost to the campaign. Unfortunately, as a congressman, he just doesn't have the statewide name recognition.

Wrong, you need to be registered as a republican to cast your vote for the good Doctor.

Registration deadline has already passed...

02-15-2008, 11:46 AM
Wrong, you need to be registered as a republican to cast your vote for the good Doctor.

Registration deadline has already passed...

WRONG.

You just need to be registered by the deadline.

How much you want to bet? My knowledge of Texas politics versus yours? ;)

IPSecure
02-15-2008, 11:48 AM
WRONG.

You just need to be registered by the deadline.

Texas SOS: 800-687-8546

This is what they told me twice!

02-15-2008, 11:50 AM
Okay, here's a source for you doubters.

Officially, Texas has closed primaries. But in practice, any registered voter may vote in the primary of any single party, as long as they have not voted in the primary of another party. Texas's primaries are closed in a less direct way: once a registered voter has in effect declared his or her party affiliation by voting for the nominees in a party's primary, that person cannot participate in the proceedings (for instance, a runoff primary or convention) of another party.

billjarrett
02-15-2008, 11:51 AM
Voting in the Primary Elections
If you are a registered voter in the state of Texas, you will simply choose your party and vote in that party's primary. To explain, we do not register by party in Texas. One becomes "affiliated" with a party by voting in a party's primary and the affiliation lasts for that primary year. As an example, if a voter voted in the March 2006 primary or April 2006 runoff primary, the voter affiliated with that party for the rest of that year, but on December 31, 2006 the affiliation expired. The affiliation means that the person may not vote in another party’s primary or participate in another party’s convention or sign an independent candidate’s petition for place on the ballot if the independent candidate’s position appears on the primary ballot. Note that in the general election in November, a voter may vote for whomever he/she wishes, regardless of how or whether he/she voted in the primary or runoff primary election, since all candidates are on the same ballot.

http://www.sos.state.tx.us/elections/voter/primary.shtml

slacker921
02-15-2008, 11:54 AM
Paul is at 6% in Texas according to the pollsters (http://www.statesman.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/austin/politics/entries/2008/02/15/texas_poll_has_clinton_up_mcca.html).. same here in NC.. Huckabee is doing a good job blocking for McCain.

"ooohh.. it's going to be a close one.. you better not waste your vote on that long shot Ron Paul libertarian kook. In fact you better vote for Huckabee otherwise that liberal McCain guy might be the nominee" shheeesh the GOP is predictable.

DeafPalmdale
02-15-2008, 11:56 AM
We NEED to get 140 delegates in Texas. It would be great if Ron Paul could win and get a momentum toward the convention.

chiplitfam
02-15-2008, 11:56 AM
I expect the same. More corruption from electronic machines and from the corrupt Republican party.

IPSecure
02-15-2008, 12:09 PM

KO,

Just going by what both the GOP-Texas, and SOS told me on the phone...

Knowledge of Texas Politics?

Please explain this: www.youtube.com/watch?v=eG6X-xtVask

02-15-2008, 12:12 PM
KO,

Just going by what both the GOP-Texas, and SOS told me on the phone...

Knowledge of Texas Politics?

Please explain this: www.youtube.com/watch?v=eG6X-xtVask

Hah, I'm not going to defend our bizarre legislature! :D

terlinguatx
02-15-2008, 12:19 PM
[QUOTE

TastyWheat
02-15-2008, 01:07 PM
I just saw a poll showing Huckabee at 41% and McCain at 45%. The delegates are handed out kind of weird so the concentration of McCainsians and Hucksters will make a big difference. Ron Paul might win a few district delegates but there's no way he'll get any at-large delegates.

nate895
02-15-2008, 01:08 PM
I just saw a poll showing Huckabee at 41% and McCain at 45%. The delegates are handed out kind of weird so the concentration of McCainsians and Hucksters will make a big difference. Ron Paul might win a few district delegates but there's no way he'll get any at-large delegates.

I hope Huckabee gets over 50% in all but a few districts, making it so he gets almost all of the delegates.

katjust
02-15-2008, 01:18 PM
You don't have to be registered Republican to vote in Texas for Ron Paul. You become a Republican when you vote in the Republican primary.

fortilite
02-15-2008, 01:26 PM
I think he'll get 10% or so. Most independent types will be voting in the Democrat primary instead because Texas will decide the winner of the Obama vs. Clinton race.