PDA

View Full Version : Norm Coleman's Reply About Voting Against The Constitution!!!

mysticgeek
02-14-2008, 04:04 PM
After reading this thread:

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=119975

I wrote to Norm Coleman who is my state senator. I admonished him for voting against the constitution on the warrantless wiretapping. This is his reply:

Dear Mr. Burgess:

Thank you for taking the time to contact me regarding the proposal for immunity for telecommunication companies included in the modernization of the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act (FISA). I respectfully disagree with your view on this matter.

I believe that it is unfair to penalize companies for responding to written assurances from the highest levels of the government that their help is legal and essential for saving lives. The immunity provision will only apply to companies if they have official documents from the government demonstrating the activities were deemed legal and authorized by the President. I would also point out that the Senate Intelligence Committee looked into this matter and found that the telecom companies acted in "good faith" based on the information they had.

Whether the government acted properly is a different question from whether a private person has acted properly in responding to the government's call for help. I have supported efforts to investigate the legality of the wireless surveillance program, and believe that if any wrongdoing is found, measures should be taken accordingly.

As you may know, the FISA Amendments Act of 2007 (S. 2248) was introduced by Senator Jay Rockefeller (D-WV) on October 26, 2007. This bill seeks to amend the FISA Act of 1978 in order to modernize and streamline its provisions, which is necessary for our country to enhance our nation's capability to prevent future terrorist attacks. S. 2248 also includes a retroactive liability protection for telecommunication companies that assisted our government in a warrantless surveillance program in the aftermath of the September 11th terrorist attacks on the U.S. The bill was approved by the Intelligence Committee on a bipartisan basis and currently awaits consideration by the full Senate.

I support national intelligence activities undertaken by the federal government which are lawful and necessary for the pursuit of terrorists. I recognize that we need to strike a balance between preventing another terrorist attack and defending civil liberties. For this reason I am a strong proponent of Congressional oversight of surveillance activities.

I will continue to follow this important issue. While we may agree on some issues and disagree on others, I appreciate hearing from you and hope you will not hesitate to contact me on any issue of concern to you.

Sincerely,
Norm Coleman
United States Senate

yongrel
02-14-2008, 04:05 PM
*cough*form letter*cough*

mysticgeek
02-14-2008, 04:07 PM
*cough*form letter*cough*
Totally a form letter! What an ignorant neo-con! Also, he is the co-chair of McWAR's campaign.

Thomas Paine
02-14-2008, 04:09 PM
After reading this thread:

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=119975

I wrote to Norm Coleman who is my state senator. I admonished him for voting against the constitution on the warrantless wiretapping. This is his reply:

Dear Mr. Burgess:

Thank you for taking the time to contact me regarding the proposal for immunity for telecommunication companies included in the modernization of the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act (FISA). I respectfully disagree with your view on this matter.

I believe that it is unfair to penalize companies for responding to written assurances from the highest levels of the government that their help is legal and essential for saving lives. The immunity provision will only apply to companies if they have official documents from the government demonstrating the activities were deemed legal and authorized by the President. I would also point out that the Senate Intelligence Committee looked into this matter and found that the telecom companies acted in "good faith" based on the information they had.

Whether the government acted properly is a different question from whether a private person has acted properly in responding to the government's call for help. I have supported efforts to investigate the legality of the wireless surveillance program, and believe that if any wrongdoing is found, measures should be taken accordingly.

As you may know, the FISA Amendments Act of 2007 (S. 2248) was introduced by Senator Jay Rockefeller (D-WV) on October 26, 2007. This bill seeks to amend the FISA Act of 1978 in order to modernize and streamline its provisions, which is necessary for our country to enhance our nation's capability to prevent future terrorist attacks. S. 2248 also includes a retroactive liability protection for telecommunication companies that assisted our government in a warrantless surveillance program in the aftermath of the September 11th terrorist attacks on the U.S. The bill was approved by the Intelligence Committee on a bipartisan basis and currently awaits consideration by the full Senate.

I support national intelligence activities undertaken by the federal government which are lawful and necessary for the pursuit of terrorists. I recognize that we need to strike a balance between preventing another terrorist attack and defending civil liberties. For this reason I am a strong proponent of Congressional oversight of surveillance activities.

I will continue to follow this important issue. While we may agree on some issues and disagree on others, I appreciate hearing from you and hope you will not hesitate to contact me on any issue of concern to you.

Sincerely,
Norm Coleman
United States Senate

Dear Senator Coleman, how does it feel to join the ranks of Hermann Goering, Albert Speer, Admiral Doenitz, and all the other collaberators who aided and abetted the rise of fascism???

kirkblitz
02-14-2008, 04:12 PM
how do people actually contact their senators and reps other then seeing them face to face? everytime ive ever contacted them i got a form letter or some idiot on the phone.

Thomas Paine
02-14-2008, 04:13 PM
how do people actually contact their senators and reps other then seeing them face to face? everytime ive ever contacted them i got a form letter or some idiot on the phone.

We have to storm Capitol Hill the way the French Revolutionaries stormed the Bastille.

mysticgeek
02-14-2008, 04:20 PM
You can call their office and try to schedule an appointment. Good luck with that though. I have gone to state legislatures offices before ... but never got into any national reps.

billjarrett
02-14-2008, 04:34 PM
I believe that.... Senate Intelligence Committee looked into.... Investigate the legality of....

Blah, Blah.. Like Dr Paul says, you pick up the Constitution and you read it.

In this case I believe it says:

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

I don't see anything in there about what you believe, or what a committee thinks.

freelance
02-14-2008, 04:37 PM
I recognize that we need to strike a balance between preventing another terrorist attack and defending civil liberties. For this reason I am a strong proponent of Congressional oversight of surveillance activities.

Well, if he's such a strong proponent of "defending civil liberties," why does he keep voting against the citizens?

davidkachel
02-14-2008, 04:55 PM
Someone should point out to him that the whole idea of the Constitution is to keep him from doing what he is so proud of having done. He's a moron. What can you do?!

DealzOnWheelz
02-14-2008, 04:55 PM
He just won my DIck OF THE DAY AWARD

CONGRATULATIONS NORM COLEMAN FOR TRULY STANDING UP AND REPRESENTING THE THOUSANDS OF IDIOTS WHO HAVE RECIEVED THE DICK OF THE DAY AWARD YOU ARE A DICK UNMATCHED IN YOUR DICKHEADEDNESS

mysticgeek
02-14-2008, 05:57 PM
Someone should point out to him that the whole idea of the Constitution is to keep him from doing what he is so proud of having done. He's a moron. What can you do?!
What we can do is get Ron Paul Republicans voted into our local offices. This is so important for the revolution.
http://libertycongress.org/