PDA

View Full Version : taxes = third of income?

Jeremy
02-14-2008, 03:56 PM
I said this and someone said that that's only true for rich people

can anyone confirm this? sources proving either point?

acroso
02-14-2008, 03:58 PM
It's 44% of all income nationally. That include State+Local+Federal. That's an average of everyone.

Some states don't have income tax! Mine has a 10% sales tax on everything you buy. Ad that to Federal stuff and local property.

The liberals are running the insane asylum right now.

RPinSEAZ
02-14-2008, 03:58 PM
I said this and someone said that that's only true for rich people

can anyone confirm this? sources proving either point?

http://www.taxfoundation.org/taxfreedomday/

Tax Freedom day is currently April 30th. That means that the average person works for 4 months to pay for their local state and federal taxes before the money they make is their own.

Lord Xar
02-14-2008, 03:59 PM
think about it. You work part-time for the government.

Soon, you will work more for the government, than you will for your own job.

If you are giving your money to the government you are in effect working for the government.

davidkachel
02-14-2008, 04:04 PM
I think you guys are operating on old news. I believe the total tax burden passed 50% a long time ago. Regardless, the sum is outrageous and we killed an awful lot of British soldiers over taxes that were far, far lower.

Churchill2004
02-14-2008, 04:10 PM
As a pure numbers game "average % paid" is a bit misleading. What the "average person" would pay would be the median % paid. Average does tilt the total upwards because the wealthy (who pay more) are weighted according to their income rather than their numbers. So there is a bit of merit to that argument, statistically speaking.

It's still a ridiculously high number, and when you factor in the impossible-to-factor costs like the depressing effect of regulation, and add inflation on top of that, it could very easily top 50%. I've seen some people claim as high as 7/8ths of our productiveness is sopped up by the government in some form or another. But you can't really get any hard numbers on that, it's all speculation.

The simple total-amount-of-taxes for the average person is currently around ~27-33%, so "a third" is accurate.

Philosophers' Legacy
02-14-2008, 04:10 PM
I think you guys are operating on old news. I believe the total tax burden passed 50% a long time ago. Regardless, the sum is outrageous and we killed an awful lot of British soldiers over taxes that were far, far lower.

ha! do you mind if i keep this as my sig? it'll look like the one i have now...:D

freelance
02-14-2008, 04:39 PM
44%

HAHAHAHAHAHA! Add in all the user fees and registration fees, and there's no telling what the real percentage is.

davidkachel
02-14-2008, 04:52 PM
ha! do you mind if i keep this as my sig? it'll look like the one i have now...:D

Be my guest. Maybe we should call the British and tell them we made a mistake! Please come back!

The Good Doctor
02-14-2008, 04:55 PM
What about Social Security, Medicare, and inflation?

HAHAHAHAHAHA! Add in all the user fees and registration fees, and there's no telling what the real percentage is.

DealzOnWheelz
02-14-2008, 05:04 PM
You Don't Have To Ask Us For Proof Just Show Him Your Paystub