PDA

View Full Version : I have a serious question....

hrdman2luv
02-14-2008, 03:51 PM
I am just wondering, with not enough delegates left to pull Ron Paul in the lead for the nomination, Mike Huckabee still in, McCain leading all the primaries and caucus's, Ron Paul still not getting the media coverage needed................
What are we all hoping for? Is there something I am missing here. Because according to my figures, even if Ron Paul won everything primary and caucus left, he still wouldn't even catch up with McCain. And considering RP has only gotten about 10% at best ( I know, there were a couple of states that were better).....

Believe me, I want to continue to support RP. I know he is the only one with enough intelligence to bring this country back to greatness. But, someone please tell me, what's the big secret that is keeping RP in the race.

And 1 more question.........What happens to all the money that Ron Paul has raised? Since it was sent to him, doesn't he get to keep it?

Cleaner44
02-14-2008, 03:58 PM
I am just wondering, with not enough delegates left to pull Ron Paul in the lead for the nomination, Mike Huckabee still in, McCain leading all the primaries and caucus's, Ron Paul still not getting the media coverage needed................
What are we all hoping for? Is there something I am missing here. Because according to my figures, even if Ron Paul won everything primary and caucus left, he still wouldn't even catch up with McCain. And considering RP has only gotten about 10% at best ( I know, there were a couple of states that were better).....

Believe me, I want to continue to support RP. I know he is the only one with enough intelligence to bring this country back to greatness. But, someone please tell me, what's the big secret that is keeping RP in the race.

And 1 more question.........What happens to all the money that Ron Paul has raised? Since it was sent to him, doesn't he get to keep it?

I supported Ron Paul before his Presidential run and I will support him long after. I am working to help make the biggest impact we can regardless of the race. As long as he has money left, he will continue to spread the message and get more people on board, that is the bigger picture here.

I am pretty sure he can not keep the money for personal purposes and so he will probably spend every last dime spreading the message.

Banana
02-14-2008, 04:02 PM
If you look at threads about delegates, you can see where Paul can still win, even without a nomination by sending enough of supporters to draw up the party's platform, revise the rules to make it easier for other Ron Paul Republicans to rise and chaining the nominee to RP's message.

NinjaPirate
02-14-2008, 04:03 PM
The secret of RP staying in the race is YOU, ME, the grassroots, and all of his supporters! RP will stay in the race as long as he continues getting support.

We're hoping for the highly unlikely event of a brokered convention, but ultimately we're going to spread the message as much as possible.

Continue your support of the Good Dr.! This movement will continue whether Dr. Paul makes it to the White House or not. Just keep spreading the message!

As far as the money, I'm not really sure. He'll probably spend it to stay in the race.

damon04
02-14-2008, 04:05 PM
As long as he is in the race, as long as we have a true representative to support otherwise, he will never stop supporting. The goal of the campaign from the get-go was to go to the RNC with as many delegates and as many popular votes as possible. With the possibility of a brokered convention still looming, we should not let up, we should be trying harder! Spread his message along with McCain's true message, and we can instigate a brokered convention.

Spreading the truth about Ron Paul and spreading the tuth in the lies of John McCain are equally as important at this juncture. Those McCain people may not be swayed to RP, but possibly away from McCain, which is just as good... for now..

hrdman2luv
02-14-2008, 04:13 PM
As long as he is in the race, as long as we have a true representative to support otherwise, he will never stop supporting. The goal of the campaign from the get-go was to go to the RNC with as many delegates and as many popular votes as possible. With the possibility of a brokered convention still looming, we should not let up, we should be trying harder! Spread his message along with McCain's true message, and we can instigate a brokered convention.

Spreading the truth about Ron Paul and spreading the tuth in the lies of John McCain are equally as important at this juncture. Those McCain people may not be swayed to RP, but possibly away from McCain, which is just as good... for now..

The other night I got a call from a guy who was running for my disrticts state legislation. He gave me his shpill for about 10 minutes. And after he said " I hope I can count on your vote". I asked him if he supported John McCain, Mike Huckabee or Ron Paul....
He laughed and said "I didn't know huckabee and Paul had any reason to stay in the race. And that He would be supporting John McCain."

So I politely told him to never call this phone number again, and that he would not be getting my vote. And that I would be spreading the message to all the Ron Paul meetup groups that I belong to". He tried to crawfish about how good Ron Paul was etc etc.......I'm sure it wasn't the first time he had gotten hung up on and it won't be the last time.

IcyPeaceMaker
02-14-2008, 04:23 PM
http://www.dailypaul.com/node/37727

MrHellebusch
02-14-2008, 04:26 PM
We are keeping Ron Paul in the race. So the real question is not what is keeping RP in the race, but what is keeping us in the race.

Take a look at what happened in Alaska. (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=117171)

Especially now, with so many disenfranchised Republicans, we are the largest group of like-minded individuals who actually care enough to try to change things for the better. Delegates don't just vote for the nominee, they also have the power to change party platforms.

We become the delegates. We change the platform. We make the future better for our country.

If you don't think you have enough friends willing to show up to a Republican caucus, just think about it like this: Even if a person hates the GOP with a passion, they're not voting for a GOP candidate by voting for you as a delegate, they are voting for you to, at the very least, make the GOP less harmful. Even the most die-hard liberal will go to a GOP caucus if they think they can stop the warmongering in the GOP. I whole-heartedly believe that if we see this process through we have the ability to do a lot more in the long run than just make the GOP less harmful.

We can shape the GOP into exactly what we want it to be, and that just happens to be exactly what Ron Paul wants it to be too.

As far as what happens to the money, I have no idea.

Change
02-14-2008, 04:41 PM
Okay seriously, on all the other message boards Mike Huckabee supporters have been asking for Ron Paul's money. His supporters keep asking the same question, maybe Ron Paul could give us some money, what's he going to do with all the money.

I think you ought to go visit ronpaul2008.com official campaign page and look at the overall campaign goals and see what has been achieve thus far, remember how many candidates were in the race, how many are left.

In addition, if you honestly think HQ has been ineffective, roll up your sleeves and help. The help is always welcome.

ziggrl
02-14-2008, 05:44 PM
I'm a delegate going to the Michigan state convention tomorrow. I will make sure I support a delegate that supports RP to go to the national convention.

As for the money, I believe that the money that is not used, goes into a fund that eventually the other candidates can use? Don't quote me . . .

JK/SEA
02-14-2008, 05:45 PM
I'm a county Delegate in my State. I will take this as far as i can.

Plan B for me is to write-in Ron Paul if i have to, and the big reason i implore everyone to exercise plan B, is so we can see how many of us there really are. I'm talking about TRUE supporters, not the fair weather wussies. You will be throwing away your vote regardless, so you may as well vote RP.

ziggrl
02-14-2008, 05:46 PM
I found out.

Campaign money goes back to the treasury.

Most major party presidential candidates participate in the federal matching program, which works like this:

-For the primary, candidates can receive a $250 match from public funds for each individual donation they receive. To be eligible for this match, they must raise at least $5,000 in individual donations in 20 different states. They must also agree to abide by spending limits, which is $10 million adjusted for inflation. (In 2004 this was $37.31 million.)

-For the general election, if major party candidates want public funds, they must agree to receive no private contributions. They receive a grant from the government of $20 million adjusted for inflation. (In 2004 this was $74.62 million.)

-Candidates also can receive grants to fund their national party convention. The base grant is $4 million, and like the other grants, is adjusted for inflation. (In 2004 this was $14.5 million.)

There are more specific requirements the candidates must also reach in order to be eligible for these funds, but I won't get into that now.

Where do these funds come from? Us, of course. You may have noticed the optional checkbox on your tax return that allows you to contribute $3 to the Presidential Election Campaign Fund.

So to answer your question...all surplus public funds must be returned to the U.S. Treasury. Of course, "surplus" means all the extra money left over after the candidate has paid all of his bills. This means he can use the extra money to repay loans he took out while waiting for the funds, pay legal fees, etc. This applies to candidates who withdraw from the race as well as those who go through with it.

Bush, Gore, Dole, and Clinton have all been asked by the Treasury for repayments of surplus campaign funds after they ran for president--see the article at the link below.

Auditors Advise Bush Campaign To Repay Money

Here's the text from the law that requires this--it's 26 U.S.C. Section 9038(b)(3):

"Amounts received by a candidate from the matching payment account may be retained for the liquidation of all obligations to pay qualified campaign expenses incurred for a period not exceeding 6 months after the end of the matching payment period. After all obligations have been liquidated, that portion of any unexpended balance remaining in the candidate’s accounts which bears the same ratio to the total unexpended balance as the total amount received from the matching payment account bears to the total of all deposits made into the candidate’s accounts shall be promptly repaid to the matching payment account."

Sources: www.fec.gov; www.nytimes.com;

Banana
02-14-2008, 05:53 PM
Hm, except that the participation in this matching is voluntary and I think Paul didn't opt in...

miketwalker
02-14-2008, 06:15 PM
Paul and McCain both didn't opt in. McCain didn't want the cap. Paul, well... Paul's the man and doesn't think our taxes should be paying for that. :)

IcyPeaceMaker
02-14-2008, 06:37 PM
He can keep the money for another presidential race, or give it to other candidates, at his option, but he may not convert it to personal use or use it in his congressional race. I expect him to spend every cent on this campaign.

TurtleBurger
02-14-2008, 06:42 PM
Okay seriously, on all the other message boards Mike Huckabee supporters have been asking for Ron Paul's money. His supporters keep asking the same question, maybe Ron Paul could give us some money, what's he going to do with all the money.

Seriously? I want what they're smoking.

Sey.Naci
02-14-2008, 06:53 PM
All surplus public funds must be returned to the U.S. Treasury.Ron Paul neither requested nor accepted matching funds. All RP campaign funds have been from private donors, not from the public.

It is known that RP intends to spend every last cent that was donated for his presidential run. If any funds are left over or if, for some reason, he doesn't go as far as he now intends, any remaining funds may be used to help support other RP candidates running for Congress, etc.

IcyPeaceMaker
02-14-2008, 07:18 PM
Send this to Huck's army to help them out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4a1z7NLnNk

mtmedlin
02-14-2008, 07:29 PM
Dr. Paul has mentioned forming a multi candidate PAC and disbursing the money to true Conservative candidates that are running for positions. This is why we need to continue supporting RP. Even IF his candidacy ends, the effects can still ring on. If he ever does get completly out, then I will focus my time trying to get another RP tyoe candidate with the hopes that it holds together the Revolution and builds it further. The more RP candidates we get elected, the more RP candidates we can have run for President later. Its all about the future.

HenryKnoxFineBooks
02-14-2008, 07:50 PM

You know, i read this and i thought, how could anyone be semi-active on this forum, and NOT know what the reason for staying in the race is. And if you didnt agree with it, ok, but how could you not know. And why would you ask. Then i looked at all your posts, going back to Nov. and you are ALWAYS negative, even starting one thread in Nov. about the KKK. You belittled our third place finishes, and said we only beat Rudy cause he wasnt "active".

Also, you have said you are a trucker, and in another thread, you are unemployed.

My suggestion: If you don't have anything nice to say, dont say anything.

hrdman2luv
02-14-2008, 08:26 PM
You know, i read this and i thought, how could anyone be semi-active on this forum, and NOT know what the reason for staying in the race is. And if you didnt agree with it, ok, but how could you not know. And why would you ask. Then i looked at all your posts, going back to Nov. and you are ALWAYS negative, even starting one thread in Nov. about the KKK. You belittled our third place finishes, and said we only beat Rudy cause he wasnt "active".

Also, you have said you are a trucker, and in another thread, you are unemployed.

First off, I can say any thing I want to. And excuuuuuuuuse me for still supporting and giving money to Ron Paul but having questions about things within his campaign. I would imagine I am not the only one who has questions and don't think everything any politician tells me on blind faith.
There are a lot more questions I could ask since we are talking about blind faith. But I won't.

My negativity may be seen by others as legitimate reasons to question. It also may be seen as someone striving to find reasons to continue to fight. Just like anyone would question a new job, or leaving an old job. Or question the bible for that matter.

About me being a truck driver. Yes I am a truck driver taking some time off. Not that it's any of your business. And my industry is about to be crushed by the Illegals and NAFTA. And though Ron Paul is against both, as far as I know, he hasn't stepped up to the plate with any of the other congressmen, James Hoffa of the Teamsters or OOIDA To help spread the message of what it will do to this industry. He seems to focus more on the Gold Standard and abolishing the IRS, which seems to fly right over the top of most voters heads. So yes I have concerns about Ron Paul. And will support anyone who stands up and defends my industry and my livelihood.

And let me say this before I get too upset, the next time you want to address me, I would advise you to do it in private. My Yahoo is available and this forum has PM. So use one if your going to question me personally.

All that time you spent looking up information about me, you could have been looking up information about McCain or Huckabee.

I believe in Ron Paul. But it's not a "blind Faith".

P.S. About me being semi-active in this forum. I don't live on a computer. I have another life outside of this internet.

minitri97
02-14-2008, 11:52 PM
unemployed.

Ha, this is great. So basically if you aren't completely brainwashed by the Ron Paul campaign then don't contribute. Nice.

HenryKnoxFineBooks
02-15-2008, 01:21 AM
Ok, how about nice, or intelligent...

Add something to the conversation, not garbage like insinuating that he's "gonna keep all the monies!"

dbhohio47
02-15-2008, 10:33 AM
In my opinion, Ron Paul's 2008 presidency campaign, like his 1988 run as a libertarian candidate, was NOT about winning the nomination. Ron Paul is no fool.... he realized from the beginning that his views are (ironically) not mainstream and how much of an uphill battle this would be.

At the same time, a presidential run is a great opportunity, a "bully pulpit", if you will, to raise awareness of the principles he so firmly believes in. Even with the MSM blackouts, his message is now being heard, considered, debated, by MILLIONS of people that would never have considered it otherwise. He has used the run as an opportunity to raise the public conscious about significant issues effecting our very way of life.

You ask why we should continue. The answer, is quite simple. This campaign has been a success in that in achieved its goal of raising public awareness. But, it is only a starting point. Our job now is to keep the debate alive..... to continue informing others about the principles of liberty, freedom, and the design and intent of our constitution. We, as a nation, have clearly strayed off the path set by our forefathers that founded our system of government. Unfortunately, this direction change has transpired very subtly over a number of generations... to the extent that most people do not even realize that it has occurred. Our country has been reduced to a collection of people that realize that the system is not working.... but have no idea how it got broken or how to fix it. Voter apathy and polls of approval ratings for congress as low as ELEVEN PERCENT are evidence of public acknowledgement that we have gone astray. Dr. Paul's message is the first step in informing people HOW our course has veered and what is necessary to get it back on the right track.

Failure to raise the public consciousness to truly SEE what has occurred dooms us to the status quo. Our job is to take this momentum and use it to bring spread this awareness to ultimately effect change. To that extent, every vote, donation, delegate, hand-out, convention speech, etc. is a step in that direction.

THAT, my friend, is why we continue.

WilliamC
02-15-2008, 10:39 AM
I'm a county Delegate in my State. I will take this as far as i can.

Plan B for me is to write-in Ron Paul if i have to, and the big reason i implore everyone to exercise plan B, is so we can see how many of us there really are. I'm talking about TRUE supporters, not the fair weather wussies. You will be throwing away your vote regardless, so you may as well vote RP.

I like the way you think :)

klamath
02-15-2008, 11:01 AM
Ever vote for RP by RP republicans is the exact number of people that will not fall back into the party fold and vote for the nominee in the fall.

That is going to send a huge message to the Republican party, far more than the percentage warrants because it is a number that will make or break the election for them. If they want to to win they are going to have to take a hard look at RP's message.

They ridiculed us and figured RP would run out of money and drop out and we would all come sheepishly back to in the fall. The longer RP stays in and the more that percentage stays up there they are going to get the message they have lost us.

dbhohio47
02-15-2008, 12:53 PM
Ever vote for RP by RP republicans is the exact number of people that will not fall back into the party fold and vote for the nominee in the fall.

That is going to send a huge message to the Republican party, far more than the percentage warrants because it is a number that will make or break the election for them. If they want to to win they are going to have to take a hard look at RP's message.

They ridiculed us and figured RP would run out of money and drop out and we would all come sheepishly back to in the fall. The longer RP stays in and the more that percentage stays up there they are going to get the message they have lost us.

Great points.

hrdman2luv
02-16-2008, 06:17 PM
Ok, how about nice, or intelligent...

Add something to the conversation, not garbage like insinuating that he's "gonna keep all the monies!"

Blind faith my friend will lead you right into a wall.