PDA

View Full Version : We may have just had a brokered convention...

Ninja Homer
02-14-2008, 02:17 PM
If Romney just traded his delegates to McCain for something, such as McCain's VP spot, then this is technically a brokered convention.

It still doesn't mean the national convention will make it to the second round of voting though, which is what we really want.

Banana
02-14-2008, 02:19 PM
Except that delegates aren't obliged to do Mitt's bidding.

If enough of delegates are for RP, then we still get a brokered convention.

I hope HQ is keeping track of who's a delegate for them, whether bound to other candidate or not.

No1ButPaul08
02-14-2008, 02:25 PM
If Romney just traded his delegates to McCain for something, such as McCain's VP spot, then this is technically a brokered convention.

It still doesn't mean the national convention will make it to the second round of voting though, which is what we really want.

It wouldn't techinically be a brokered convention. It has to go to the second ballot to go to the brokered convention. Romney releasing his delegates is NOT GOOD. It just gives McCain more chances to win delegates for the first ballot

Banana
02-14-2008, 02:27 PM
I'm pretty sure that Mitt's releasing his delegates doesn't guarantee a McCain nomination; it hinges on whether his delegates will blindly do Mitt's bidding.

GoDrNo
02-14-2008, 02:33 PM
Romney doesn't have "control" over MANY of his delegates, it depends on what the state GOP rules are. In some states like MI his delegates are officially uncommitted now, in MA he still has delegates, and in many states the delegates aren't even officially elected yet (I doubt that some one who is out of the race will get many delegates eleceted in his name).

literatim
02-14-2008, 02:35 PM
It is going to be damn hard for McCain to get 51% of the delegates considering Ron Paul will clean up in all those caucus states that Romney got 1st in. National delegates haven't even been voted for in most states.

Ninja Homer
02-14-2008, 02:52 PM
It wouldn't techinically be a brokered convention. It has to go to the second ballot to go to the brokered convention.

A "brokered convention" means just that... a deal is brokered to give one candidate the majority of the votes at a convention. The deal can happen before the convention takes place.

What I don't get is the media talking about the Democrats having a brokered convention. How the hell does that happen when there are only 2 people in the race? One of them is going to have a majority. If it's too close to call before the convention, neither one of them is going to drop out.