View Full Version : Romney Prevented the Brokered Convention

Mani
02-14-2008, 01:24 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/mccain_romney

843 of McCain + 280 Romney = 1123.

MCCain wins...

SonicInfinity
02-14-2008, 01:25 PM
Has FOX News put up a "McCain wins the Nomination!" banner yet?

Mani
02-14-2008, 01:26 PM
1191 was number of delegates needed for a nomination....

Romney just gave it to him.

Looks like he didn't like Huckabee giving McCain too much of a fight...

RollOn2day
02-14-2008, 01:27 PM
Now can we put the brokered convention strategy to rest?

Jesus!

nate895
02-14-2008, 01:28 PM
1191 was number of delegates needed for a nomination....

Romney just gave it to him.

Looks like he didn't like Huckabee giving McCain too much of a fight...

HE CAN'T CONTROL HIS DELEGATES, THEY CAN VOTE FOR WHOEVER THEY WANT NOW.

LibertiORDeth
02-14-2008, 01:28 PM

Jesus!

And any chance of Dr. No winning...

literatim
02-14-2008, 01:30 PM
Romney cannot dictate who his delegates vote for. They can choose to vote for anyone they wish.

SWATH
02-14-2008, 01:32 PM
Is there any way to identify McCain and Romney's delegates and present our case to them?

literatim
02-14-2008, 01:34 PM
Ron Paul will present his case himself at the Republican National Convention. Any Ron Paul state delegates could make their own case at State conventions if they wish

Mani
02-14-2008, 01:35 PM
HE CAN'T CONTROL HIS DELEGATES, THEY CAN VOTE FOR WHOEVER THEY WANT NOW.

Except for the sheep factor, they will just vote for whomever they are told.

SWATH
02-14-2008, 01:36 PM
Ron Paul will present his case himself at the Republican National Convention. Any Ron Paul state delegates could make their own case at State conventions if they wish

What about before the convention? Or will they not be set in stone until then? Persuading McCain and Romney supporters may take more than 1 night or 1 speech. It is afterall an ideological revolution.

literatim
02-14-2008, 01:37 PM

Odds are, they just won't show up. All of Romney's supporters didn't show up to Michigan which allowed the Ron Paul grassroots to slip in and take the empty state delegate seats.

Ninja Homer

It depends on how many of Romney's bound delegates were Ron Paul supporters.

LarryWhite

Romney has to release them before they can vote for anyone but Romney if they are bound. If he releases the bound delegates, then they vote for whomever we want. We need to find out if we have any stealth delegates that are bound to Romney.

He has to release them before they can vote for anyone but Romney in the bound states.

SWATH
02-14-2008, 01:39 PM
So even if McCain wins 100 more delegates does that mean he is for sure the nominee and thus NO brokered convention, or are these numbers just estimates meaning it could still go brokered once the convention votes are cast.

RollOn2day
02-14-2008, 01:42 PM
And any chance of Dr. No winning...

No! There never was a chance of Dr No winning this nomination...much less the presidency through this party.

If I am unrealistic for wanting a third party run, then I'm in the good company of the unrealistic people who think that the GOP was ever going to nominate a proponent of peace.

The only chance there ever was of getting the White House was a third party/independent run because the GOP was never going to get behind Dr Pauls platform.

Would the KKK nominate Obama? But if 6-12% of them would vote for him.... wouldn't you do backflips?

Well, thats what I'm doing! Backflips that 6-12% of the LEAST likley demographic (the GOP) has supported Dr Paul. You put him in an election with McCain and Obama or Hilary free of the constraints of the Republican baggage, and I'm telling you we would see fireworks go off in this country.

Join The Paul Side
02-14-2008, 01:42 PM
I can see it now: Mormons for McCain. :(

KevinR
02-14-2008, 01:46 PM
Are they freed from Romney as soon as he officially drops out, or do they have to wait until the first round of the convention to then pick someone else?

literatim
02-14-2008, 01:47 PM
No! There never was a chance of Dr No winning this nomination...much less the presidency through this party.

If I am unrealistic for wanting a third party run, then I'm in the good company of the unrealistic people who think that the GOP was ever going to nominate a proponent of peace.

The only chance there ever was of getting the White House was a third party/independent run because the GOP was never going to get behind Dr Pauls platform.

Would the KKK nominate Obama? But if 6-12% of them would vote for him.... wouldn't you do backflips?

Well, thats what I'm doing! Backflips that 6-12% of the LEAST likley demographic (the GOP) has supported Dr Paul. You put him in an election with McCain and Obama or Hilary free of the constraints of the Republican baggage, and I'm telling you we would see fireworks go off in this country.

There will not be a 3rd party run, so go away.

McCain isn't going to win the general election no matter what happens . The only thing that would happen if Ron Paul ran as a 3rd party would be that Ron Paul would be blamed for it and all those Ron Paul Republicans running for Congress and Senate will lose because of it.

Mani
02-14-2008, 01:49 PM
There will not be a 3rd party run, so go away.

McCain isn't going to win the general election no matter what happens . The only thing that would happen if Ron Paul ran as a 3rd party would be that Ron Paul would be blamed for it and all those Ron Paul Republicans running for Congress and Senate will lose because of it.

Exactly. the republicans are going to get clobbered in the presidential election, ESPECIALLY if Obama wins their nomination.

The last thing we want is Ron Paul getting blamed because he took 10% of the GOP vote away in a 3rd party run.

billjarrett
02-14-2008, 01:51 PM
Odds are, they just won't show up. All of Romney's supporters didn't show up to Michigan which allowed the Ron Paul grassroots to slip in and take the empty state delegate seats.

What happens at the national convention if delegates and their alternates don't show up? How do they fill the slots then?

slamhead
His endorsement of McCain is absolutely meaningless where delegates are concerned.

slantedview
843 of McCain + 280 Romney = 1123.

MCCain wins...
i dont think it works like that

slacker921
02-14-2008, 01:52 PM
It depends on how fast the media spins this.. if they convince the public that McCain has won then it's over whether it's technically correct or not.

The projections on CNN showing how Huckabee would have to finish with 50% of the vote in every primary (or higher) to get into a brokered convention assume Paul wouldn't finish well in any of the states (which... after VA, DC, etc.. is a realistic prediction) and McCain would come in second and pick up almost as many delegates. However - if Paul won TX (not likely at this point..) and Huckabee came in second then it would be a different game. Huckabee would begin picking up drastically more delegates than McCain. The Huckabee folks need to realize that they aren't going to a brokered convention unless Paul starts beating McCain. .. so a brokered convention isn't likely. :(

nate895
02-14-2008, 01:57 PM
It depends on how fast the media spins this.. if they convince the public that McCain has won then it's over whether it's technically correct or not.

The projections on CNN showing how Huckabee would have to finish with 50% of the vote in every primary (or higher) to get into a brokered convention assume Paul wouldn't finish well in any of the states (which... after VA, DC, etc.. is a realistic prediction) and McCain would come in second and pick up almost as many delegates. However - if Paul won TX (not likely at this point..) and Huckabee came in second then it would be a different game. Huckabee would begin picking up drastically more delegates than McCain. The Huckabee folks need to realize that they aren't going to a brokered convention unless Paul starts beating McCain. .. so a brokered convention isn't likely. :(

Those projections are bogus by the way, I've checked the rules, and there is almost no way for McCain to get the delegates needed short of a win in Texas and Ohio. They gave McCain 45% of the delegates for coming in second in Texas, which isn't possible. See my delegate projections (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=120048) thread.

Mani
02-14-2008, 01:57 PM
My brother votes Tuesday and I called him yesterday to remind him to vote. ( I convinced him to vote RP, but he's not into politics or an advocate or anything).

He was pretty much saying, "What's the point now?"

So I tried to spin the whole stealth delegates, we need to get delegates for RP and your vote helps, brokered convention, etc.

Now if he sees this, it's going to be even harder to convince him to vote.

What dreamworld scenario can prevent McCain from winning?

nate895
02-14-2008, 01:58 PM
My brother votes Tuesday and I called him yesterday to remind him to vote. ( I convinced him to vote RP, but he's not into politics or an advocate or anything).

He was pretty much saying, "What's the point now?"

So I tried to spin the whole stealth delegates, we need to get delegates for RP and your vote helps, brokered convention, etc.

Now if he sees this, it's going to be even harder to convince him to vote.

What dreamworld scenario can prevent McCain from winning?

My delegate projections thread (see my last post) isn't very dreamworldish and still has McCain ~190 delegates short of the nomination.

slacker921
02-14-2008, 02:02 PM
"The last thing we want is Ron Paul getting blamed because he took 10% of the GOP vote away in a 3rd party run."
I hate to break it to you.. but he'll get blamed for some of it whether he runs 3rd party or not. If you think the Ron Paul supporters who are working their way up through all of the local and state GOP ranks aren't going to get some of the blame then hide and watch. If you don't think Ron Paul supporters are going to actively criticize McCain after he's nominated (and help his demise) then hide and watch. The GOP will NOT accept that their message is flawed, and they will NOT admit that they've shoved the wrong candidate to the front. They WILL blame their loss on the one candidate who split their ranks.

Jesubub
02-14-2008, 02:03 PM

That won't stop me from getting Paul delegates elected in my precinct and bringing in the popular vote. It's still a great moral victory to run off the established GOP hacks from the convention.

Sey.Naci
02-14-2008, 02:06 PM
The highlighted bit is perhaps key (unless it's just Yahoo! misreporting its source's words):

Republican campaign dropout Mitt Romney agreed Thursday to endorse Sen. John McCain for the party's presidential nomination and ask his national convention delegates to swing behind the front-runner, according to officials familiar with the decision.Don't think all of Romney's delegates are bound. Even if they are, how is it possible for a candidate who has dropped out to commit his bound delegates to another candidate? Do the rules even allow that?

Ninja Homer
02-14-2008, 02:08 PM
The highlighted bit is perhaps key (unless it's just Yahoo! misreporting its source's words):

Don't think all of Romney's delegates are bound. Even if they are, how is it possible for a candidate who has dropped out to commit his bound delegates to another candidate? Do the rules even allow that?

Romney has to release his delegates first, and ask them real nicely to pretty please vote for McCain at the national convention.

nate895
02-14-2008, 02:08 PM

Don't think all of Romney's delegates are bound. Even if they are, how is it possible for a candidate who has dropped out to commit his bound delegates to another candidate? Do the rules even allow that?

He can only ask, and since we know we have 24 of those delegates, at least, I don't know what the big fuss is about.

slacker921
02-14-2008, 02:09 PM
"He was pretty much saying, "What's the point now?"
..... send a message to the GOP? They've made up their mind, but it's worthwhile to let them know there's a lot of people who don't support their decision. If they see 5% against them it's easier to swallow than 15% against them.

billjarrett
02-14-2008, 02:10 PM

What happens at the national convention if delegates and their alternates don't show up? How do they fill the slots then?

Nobody knows on this one?

Banana
What I would be more interested in would be how Huckabee reacts.

Will he drop out or fight tooth and nail to bitter end?

Billjarrett- I think I saw a rule saying that if either delegate or alternate is no show, it's a loss of vote.

pacelli

Or whomever they are paid to vote for.

Ninja Homer
02-14-2008, 02:12 PM

Nobody knows on this one?

I assume they don't get to vote... Ron Paul delegates FTW.

Pauliana
02-14-2008, 02:13 PM
just....so....damned....disappointed
in the GOP.

thexjib
02-14-2008, 02:15 PM
It depends on how many of Romney's bound delegates were Ron Paul supporters.

ding ding you get the prize

while I doubt that Dr. Paul will win the GOP nod I have no doubt that the RNC could turn out to be a Paul fest on the floor and at the writting of the platform. One thing HQ did well was getting our people to run as delegates even in states that "bound" there vote.