PDA

View Full Version : OT: Video Editing Software

Razmear
02-14-2008, 01:21 PM
I just got a Nikon digital camera that saves movies in Quicktime format.
Does anyone know of a free basic video editing program that will work with *.MOV files so I can upload stuff to YouTube?

Thanks.
eb

ionlyknowy
02-14-2008, 01:22 PM
I have asked the same question before, and got no responses... with that said, I think that you can use windows movie maker. Should come with service pack 2 on windows XP.

Revolution9
02-14-2008, 01:28 PM
I just got a Nikon digital camera that saves movies in Quicktime format.
Does anyone know of a free basic video editing program that will work with *.MOV files so I can upload stuff to YouTube?

Thanks.
eb

You get the quicktime software. Then drag the little arrows on the progress slider to be the in and out pints on your piece you want to gab and cut and paste into a new QuickTime clip. You can replace the soundtrack as well same way.

For conversion to flv, there is a free app on the Flash section at macormedia.com

HTH
Randy

Razmear
02-14-2008, 01:34 PM
The quicktime editor keeps telling me I have bad atoms :( when I go to save or export, got the latest update and searching looks like this is a common problem.

I didn't even know I had that Windows Movie Maker installed, will try doing a convert in SuperC and see how that looks. (would be nice if MovieMaker could open Quicktime, but oh well)

Thanks,
eb

Razmear
02-14-2008, 05:59 PM
After dicking around with Quicktime Pro (which sucks ass) I found:
MP4Cam2AVI Easy Converter
which converts .mov files to .avi (a 300meg file took about a minute) and life is good.

eb

AlbemarleNC0003
02-14-2008, 06:00 PM
www.mediaconverter.org is a great site for conversions. Not sure about how it works with .mov, but there is a free download version too.

Razmear
02-14-2008, 06:10 PM
This one was free too at:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/mp4cam2avi

eb

Razmear
02-14-2008, 09:27 PM
OK, Windows Movie Maker sucks, The audio is horrid.
I just found an open source, free professional quality video editor called Jahshaka that takes in Quicktime movies without needed to convert them first, its confusing as hell at first and poorly documented, but it will do just about anything you want it to do once you figure out how to use it.
http://jahshaka.org/

If you have an IQ less than 200, read the tutorial or go bald trying to figure out how to use it (you might go bald anyways)

eb