PDA

View Full Version : FISA...just saw Bush on tv...will Congress keep standing up to him?

bj72
02-14-2008, 12:22 PM
Just saw Bush getting pretty ticked on the tv with Congress about not passing an extension to spy and wiretapping in the US. They said he might cancel his upcoming trip to put pressure on them.

Is there a campaign out there to call Congress & the Senate to say how pleased we are they haven't yet passed it? They often get calls when people are upset, maybe they need some positive reinforcement to keep the government out of our lives.

I know some websites have information for different causes that will link you to your appropriate Congressman or Senator. Is there something like this for FISA?

Finally, why isn't someone putting ads out on this? Why don't they say, it is worth the risk. We should be proactive teaching the public that even if we are attacked if it lapses, we must hold the line. It is not worth loss of freedoms for "safety". Personally, I wanna be less "safe", and retain my civil liberties.

Crickett
02-14-2008, 01:45 PM
Just saw Bush getting pretty ticked on the tv with Congress about not passing an extension to spy and wiretapping in the US. They said he might cancel his upcoming trip to put pressure on them.

Is their a campaign out there to call Congress & the Senate to say how pleased we are they haven't yet passed it? They often get calls when people are upset, maybe they need some positive reinforcement to keep the government out of our lives.

I know some websites have information for different causes that will link you to your appropriate Congressman or Senator. Is there something like this for FISA?

Finally, why isn't someone putting ads out on this? Why don't they say, it is worth the risk. We should be proactive teaching the public that even if we are attacked if it lapses, we must hold the line. It is not worth loss of freedoms for "safety". Personally, I wanna be less "safe", and retain my civil liberties.

I heard they passed it, and my Senator voted for it. Here is what I sent him:
Dear Mark Pryor,
I am appalled at your unconstitutional support of this last bill you voted for, and ANY bills you are supporting that violate the US Constitution. It is obvious your votes are being "paid for", but that does not set well with me nor with many Americans who are seeing our loss of privacy and
sovereignty as SERIOUS , as well as in violation of your oath when we elected you to the Senate.
The Senate has no authority to grant immunity to telephone companies, Presidents or anyone else--especially when they are violating our country's principles, right and left. I am very sorry that you find yourself on that side. You are part of ruining our hard-fought FREE country, and I deplore what you are condoning.
Sincerely,

bj72
02-14-2008, 02:12 PM
I like your note.

However, I'm a bit confused. If they passed it, then I'm wondering why Bush was live on MSNBC this morning upset that it was going to lapse next week. Did it just pass this morning after his press conference? Are there two duplicate bills, I thought the House had to pass first, then the Senate. If so, why is he mad at the House for not "taking it seriously"?

Sorry, I don't live in the DC area anymore, so our news coverage is limited on these things to MSNBC, CNN, and Fox as most local stations barely cover any real "news", especially here in CA. Guess when I have a chance this weekend, and can take a break from the kids, I'll have to get on the house and senate websites...

thexjib
02-14-2008, 02:26 PM
the House Dems blocked a vote (thanks guys)

manny229
02-14-2008, 02:41 PM
the House Dems blocked a vote (thanks guys)

Yeah I heard the Senate passed it but Congress is blocking it.
My Senator, Hillary Clinton decided to abstain from voting on this!!! Too controversial I guess.... typical Hillary.

IcyPeaceMaker
02-14-2008, 02:44 PM
The house tried to pass it without the immunization for AT&T et al. Good for them. Let the bastards pay for their crimes against America!

angelatc
02-14-2008, 05:02 PM
The house tried to pass it without the immunization for AT&T et al. Good for them. Let the bastards pay for their crimes against America!

The Senate voted down an amendment that would have removed the telecom immunity.

I think the stupid bill should fail. This is beyond scary. FISA courts, secret international courts....screw it. If they come here' we'll shoot them.

Aratus
02-14-2008, 05:09 PM
its leading into a third version of the patriot act...
its more restrictive concerning our bill of rights!!!