PDA

View Full Version : Are people that ignorant?

a_moran3
02-14-2008, 10:45 AM
I was reading that news article someone posted on here from newsweek. Does everyone think he'd get rid of all these programs and policies overnight? He's said repeatedly that all this would be in gradual steps, except maybe the war in Iraq. I mean would love all those government assistance programs to be gone right away but it won't be in a few hours.

I really loathe mainstream voters and the mainstream media.

Janet0116
02-14-2008, 10:57 AM
I swear people just like being scared about something. :rolleyes:

WilliamC
02-14-2008, 11:00 AM
I think many people are far more ignorant than we give them credit for.

cswake
02-14-2008, 11:07 AM
Of course not. It will take decades to undo what it took a century to build up. As for the comment above, people are not ignorant, they just lack accurate information. (Listen to NPR, CNN, MSNBC non-stop and tell me you can piece anything together)

Goldwater Conservative
02-14-2008, 11:20 AM
Beware the straw-men arguments, like that one article that said "Paul is a libertarian, and this is what libertarians on the extreme believe, do you really want that?" instead of researching his actual platform.

WilliamC
02-14-2008, 11:21 AM
Of course not. It will take decades to undo what it took a century to build up. As for the comment above, people are not ignorant, they just lack accurate information. (Listen to NPR, CNN, MSNBC non-stop and tell me you can piece anything together)

I didn't say they were stupid.

But what you just described, lacking accurate information, is the very definition of ignorance.

cswake
02-14-2008, 11:38 AM
I didn't mention or insinuate that you had called people stupid.

"Ignorance is the condition of being uninformed or uneducated, lacking knowledge or information." I've met a lot of people who are educated and well-versed on the knowledge and information provided through the MSM on candidates and their issues. By definition, they don't lack knowledge or information and hence are not ignorant, but are biased in their interpretation of it by the news sources. (ie. the TTC is a *good* thing since trade between the three countries would be promoted! An international body of law governing it is a *good* thing!)

pinkmandy
02-14-2008, 11:42 AM
No poll? Lol. I often wonder where the line is between stupidity and ignorance, though. If you are presented with credible information and you intentionally ignore it (i.e. McCain wants another 100 yrs of war but you vote for him because he'll "end the war") are you then stupid or just ignorant?

98Tokay
02-14-2008, 12:03 PM
Yes