PDA

View Full Version : Championing the Constution: Paul appears in convocation

bobbyw24
02-14-2008, 06:00 AM
http://www.liberty.edu/academics/communications/champion/index.cfm?PID=10609&CAID=392

Feb 12, 2008
Championing the Constution: Paul appears in convocation

by Jennifer Schmidt
Texas Congressman Ron Paul addressed a crowd of over 8,500 in Friday’s convocation, becoming the fourth presidential candidate to speak to Liberty’s student body in the past year.
As a prelude to the majority of his speech, Paul noted the work ethic and Christian values that his family imparted to him, saying, “At the age of 14, I committed to Christ as my savior.”

Known for his pro-life stance, Paul explained that he once accidentally “walked in on an abortion” during his early years of practicing as an obstetrician/gynecologist. He described the scene as “heart wrenching,” and explained its impact upon his belief in the “importance of life.”

Paul explained his belief in an adherence to the Constitution, which he stated was designed as a “restraint on government.” “Freedom really works if we allow it to,” he said.

Riddled with economic statistics, Paul’s speech also stressed his belief in sound money, “free markets and (a) free economy.” Paul also addressed his views on military involvement overseas, stating, “We maintain an empire and can’t afford it.... We have 700 bases overseas and...it undermines our resources back home – this demoralizes our military.”

Paul emphasized his commitment to “start bringing our troops home as soon as possible,” a statement that elicited mixed reactions from the crowd.

“To be safe and secure, we should never have to sacrifice any of our personal liberties,” Paul said, referencing airport security checks and talk of legislation to require national identification cards for American citizens.

Again referencing his thoughts on the economy, Paul said that “a prosperous economy” would allow the U.S. to be more generous with immigration programs.

Known for beliefs that some perceive as unorthodox, Paul stated that he sees “no benefit for us to be in the United Nations” and that the Department of Education should be dissolved. Paul believes that competition among schools would spur greater productivity and quality education.

Families that choose to use private schools or to home-school should be awarded tax credits, Paul said. Paul closed with a call to “revive the spirit that makes America great.”

Following the close of his speech, Paul stated that he was “very pleased and thankful” with his reception at Liberty, which was the largest crowd that he has addressed.

“This is a university — we’re here for learning and education,” Chancellor Jerry Falwell Jr. said of Liberty’s decision to invite all of the presidential candidates to speak. Falwell also noted that Paul seems to have “a lot of support on campus.”

Paul said that he was not surprised at the “very enthusiastic and energized” support that he has from some Liberty students because of the school’s conservative ideals and beliefs.

“It’s the message more than me,” Paul said in explanation of the strong support he has from many college students, adding, “It’s a very American – very conservative message (that is) much in need, and people are starting to recognize that need for change.” Paul told reporters that a secondary result of his campaign will be long-term, stating that the “revolution is just beginning.” Contact Jennifer Schmidt at jschmidt@liberty.edu.

spacehabitats
02-14-2008, 09:43 AM
Thank you for this excellent report. If only we could offer more venues for Dr. Paul to have this type of opportunity, our campaign's success would multiply exponentially.

bobbyw24
02-14-2008, 12:28 PM
Exactly. He drew 8,500 (religious) people in rural Virginia. I am hoping that we can get 250,000 plus at the DC March

vroomery
02-14-2008, 01:00 PM
Check out this article talking about huckabee coming to thomas road baptist church (on the campus of liberty). They were nice to paul which I appreciate, but they continue to practically worship huckabee over at the church.

The bolded portion is really disturbing and speaks volumes about hucakbee's ideas for what the government should do for us. He really has no idea what the constitution says about this.

Huckabee, Paul speak
by Jennifer Schmidt

Greeted by a standing ovation from a crowd of over 6,000, Republican presidential candidate Mike Huckabee was introduced by Rev. Jonathan Falwell as a “dear friend of my father and of myself” on Sunday morning at TRBC.

Addressing a packed sanctuary with visitors sitting on and around the stage, Huckabee recalled memories of Dr. Jerry Falwell and his influence, joking with the crowd that he had thought better of trying to deliver a sermon they had likely already heard from Falwell himself.

Huckabee spoke briefly of moral degradation in the U.S. and the need for increased “moral clarity.” A loss of morality in the U.S. is leading towards an increased need for legislation and government intervention, Huckabee said, further explaining that “we must be restrained more and more by outside (influences) because our own consciences do not restrain us.”

“The Ten Commandments cover everything,” Huckabee stated, eliciting cheers from the crowd, “but people have found creative ways to get around them.”

The former governor of Arkansas closed by saying that he hoped those listening knew Jesus Christ in their hearts and in their lives, adding that a relationship with Christ would increase an individual’s moral understanding and would decrease a reliance upon external laws and legislation.

Falwell persuaded Huckabee to play his bass along with the TRBC worship band in a rousing rendition of “I’ll Fly Away” before the governor sat down in the midst of rousing cheers.

“It’s incredible what’s happened in (Gov. Huckabee’s) campaign since he was last here in Lynchburg,” Jerry Falwell Jr. told reporters in a press conference, referencing Huckabee’s address to Liberty University’s convocation in November. “He’s kindred souls with us...it would be wonderful for our country if he moved on to the next level,” Falwell Jr. said. “I would give (Falwell Jr.) credit for the surge. Not long after he endorsed me here in Lynchburg (in November), things really did start popping,” Huckabee said.

Citing his recent and unexpected victories in Kansas and Louisiana, Huckabee noted, “There are a lot of people in the country who have yet to vote. We feel like they (have) a right and a responsibility to go vote. We want to give them a choice.” Contact Jennifer Schmidt at jschmidt@liberty.edu

Barf
http://www.liberty.edu/academics/communications/champion/index.cfm?pid=10609&CAID=390